Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reed Doughty Vs. Chris Horton? (Too Early>)

BleedinBurgNGold

Man I've been saying since pre season that Horton should play over Doughty. Horton is a rookie but he knows this defense because an old Skins defensive coach is the defensive Co at UCLA. I never imagined Horton playing like he played today but I just think he's better than Doughty period. :2cents:

I agree that one game doesnt make a player.....but their is no question Horton just played a football game better than Reed has EVER played in his career....should be interesting to see who is on the field against Arizona.

Arizona will be the true test. If he fairs well against their offense, he may seal the deal. They have some BIG weapons and Horton and Landry better have the game of their lives.

You don't lose your starting job to injury or illness.

You do lose your job when you're not an all-pro or dominant starter, when a ROOKIE plays his first game and has the biggest impact a rookie has had here, in his first game in years.

It's Horton's job to lose now. Period.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

PUT THAT MAN IN!!! As an early supporter of Horton, i really beleived he would develop into a great SS, but even i underestimated this 7th round pick. With him on all 3 turnovers, mind you we rarely get that many in a game let alone by one player, you have to give him the job. Doughty will be a great second string/relief SS.

I think Doughty is a good player, and it should be from depth. It was partly luck Horton was in the right places today, and that fumble laid on the ground long enough for someone from the stands to jump on it.

But Horton capitalized, and that's exactly what we need. I'd start him next week. Reed will still get plenty of time, and will have another shot.

Not to take anything away from Horton, but he was mostly just in the right place at the right time. I'm not saying that everyone would have made the plays he did, and the fact that he actually capitalized on his opportunities is huge.

But in regards to his coverage abilities and tackling, I didn't see anything spectacular, and I also didn't see many mistakes. I do think that is enough to start over Doughty though.

Regardless, three turnovers is outstanding, and he deserves some credit.

Sorry, Coach, I don't buy it.

Horton was in the right place because he made the CATCHES.

How many times have we seen Rogers or Smoot or McIntosh in the right place only to drop the ball or fail to take advantage of a potential mistake by the offense?

Saying Horton was lucky is like saying that Jason Taylor was 'fortunate' to force and recover all those fumbles down in Miami over 10 years.

Remember in the preseason Horton was also 'lucky' in forcing fumbles and getting sacks on blitzes................

that's a lot of luck :D

I gotta say have more confidence in Horton in coverage. Doughty is alittle better in run support if any. While Horton will have his ups and downs his downs will most likely be Doughty bests. I say even though Horton benefited from tipped balls he has better potnetial than doughty.

Not to take anything away from Horton, but he was mostly just in the right place at the right time. I'm not saying that everyone would have made the plays he did, and the fact that he actually capitalized on his opportunities is huge.

But in regards to his coverage abilities and tackling, I didn't see anything spectacular, and I also didn't see many mistakes. I do think that is enough to start over Doughty though.

Regardless, three turnovers is outstanding, and he deserves some credit.

Personally, I like the thought that one of our defensive players gets himself in the right place at the right time - so much so that he had 3 TURNOVERS in one game!!!

Heck, that's like a quarter of the total amount of turnovers we get in some seasons. If there's something our defense seems to truly suck at, its getting the turnovers that "come" to us. How many times have we caused a fumble and then didn't recover? Smoot drops at least 80% of the INTs that come his way, for instance. So regardless if it isn't pure, barney-badass playmaker skill - if he gets the turnovers by being in the right place at the right time, START THE MAN!!!!

I believe Horton deserves another shot next week to start against a potentially great offense with Arizona. If he has another strong showing he should stay the S.S. as long as he keeps producing. Doughty is a much better back-up, which is what the skins drafted him for anyways.

Archived