Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please grade on our Punting game last night vs NY

SkinsTight

Ehh, for a rookie's first game with 7 punts and only being off Frost's Average punt yards last year by a little more than 3 yards. I would say not that bad. I think this kid has some talent. Very first NFL game with a lot of action, and he puts 2 inside the 20 and 3 of his punts were fair catches. He will show improvement.

During the game last night, most of his punts looks shorter than Frost's would have been. When totalled Brooks' punts averaged 37.9 yards per kick. That is less than Frost did last year.

I'm not calling for Cerrato's head but what we got so far is "consistant"ly worse than what we gave up.

Jes sayin'.

Pretty bad.

I do think that Brooks got a little better as the game went on and that fact may save him his job for another week.

I was convinced he was going to be "Norved" (Norv always cut the kicker/punter when things went wrong) at halftime.

I'm now guessing that he'll get another week.

are you serious? he's here for the year dude

Yeah, let's give the kid a Mulligan on this game. The whole team walked into a lion's den. That crowd was playoff-charged. I guarantee you he was nervous as hell, but I saw improvement as the game went on. He'll be fine. I predict he'll have some monster kicks at home against New Orleans.

Let's not forget that part of Brooks appeal is his hang time. If 3 of the 7 punts were fair catches, I think that's looking pretty good. Also, his long was 53 yards...how often did Frost uncork one like that? Pretty rarely. This kid will be fine. A little less nerves, and a few more games under his belt, and he should be over 40 yards consistently.

I would grade the punting as a C. It looked like the punter was emphasizing hang time rather than distance (normally sound approach). He also was trying to get 2 or 3 kicks to fall inside the 20 rather than punting out the end-zone. But a few of the kicks were too short regardless.

Inside the 20 punts (B-). I thought he had enough room to hit them closer to the 10 yard line rather than right at the 20.

Of course Brooks punts were shorter than Frosts were, because hes kicking for hangtime.

Im by no means saying he was lights out last night, but theres only one thing thats important to punting, net yardage. Some people just seem to blindly ignore that because it makes them happy. His net yardage last night was 35. Thats 1 1/2 yards off Frosts average(his best average for any season). His first game and some people are already on him...sheesh.

He was not "pretty bad", he was merely just below Frost level(which admittedly is not good).

Frost is gone....signed with G.B. didn't he?? Thank God. Brooks was fine last night. He had one bad kick and one very good kick. His net was only 35 but he did put two inside the 20 as well. Hangtime is key here and net average. Brooks has so much more upside than Frost and will hit a lot more great punts than Frost can ever dream about. Frost was a guarunteed one shank a game punter (usually when punting from inside our 20), Brooks is much more consistent, and will prove it.

Here are Brooks' kick-by-kick numbers with my comments. Underwhelming performance, all in all, though he did get better as the game wore on.

1st punt- from the WAS 22

34 yards - 4 yard return

Poor - Immediate field position disadvantage.

2nd punt - from the WAS 41

27 yards - no return

Poor- lost chance to pin the Giants back.

3rd punt - from the WAS 45

41 yards - no return

(Inside the 20- 14 yard line)

Nice job pinning them inside the 20

4th punt - from the WAS 42

33 yards - 3 yard return

Poor - another lost opportunity to improve field position.

5th punt - from the WAS 46

34 yards - no return

(downed at the 20 yard line)

So so. An average kick here pins them further inside the 20.

6th punt - from the WAS 44

43 yards - no return

(Inside 20 - 13 yard line)

Excellent.

7th punt - from the WAS 26

53 yards - 14 yard return

Excellent. Despite the distance, he didn't outkick the coverage. It was a good return by McQuarters.

brooks did get a nice 15 year penalty in his favor, took it like a man.

speaking of, mr. penalty was our player of the game.

Just what I was going to say,, and it was our 1st first down of the night.

Took one for the team, he did.

I didn't thin he had a horrible night. He's a rookie, they're the Giants, they roughed him up pretty good, and that stadium is notorious for weird winds on even calm days. He did alright.

~Bang

I didn't think that he did to bad. His hang time was pretty good I thought. I really thing we need someone else to handle returns for us. I know that ( ARE ) was just trying to make something happen, but he was killing me. I just want to see one guy catch a punt a run straight up the field PLEASE...

Archived