Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please grade on our Punting game last night vs NY

SkinsTight

Brooks has the talent to get into the mid 40 average. As most posters are saying, he's punting for hang time to allow our cover guys to get to the ball. There were several punts which our players got down and had a hand on the PR as soon as he touched the ball, or caused a fair catch.

I like what I saw.

Wow, I absolutely disagree. I thought he was outstanding. He didn't strike me as rattled at all. His punts had good hang time and he didn't hit a bad one all night.

I missed most of the first quarter, but from what I saw he was completely respectable.

Yeah - his hang time was excellent. His net was also effected by poor tackling on one return.

Hang Time Schmange Time. He was bad last night.

Of his 7 punts, he had punts of 34 yards, 27 yards, 33 yards, and 34 yards. NONE of those ended up inside the opponent's 20. That is bad. I don't care if he had 10 second hang-times on them. He missed several opportunities to change the field position advantage with a good, or even decent kick.

To his credit, he improved as the game wore on. But let's not kid ourselves that he had a good game.

Wow, really? I have to admit I could have been really out of it last night or something but I thought brooks had some great hang time and placement. Not so much distance I suppose but I don't really recall a great return for the Giants. I wasn't that upset with Brooks.

Wow, I absolutely disagree. I thought he was outstanding. He didn't strike me as rattled at all. His punts had good hang time and he didn't hit a bad one all night.

I missed most of the first quarter, but from what I saw he was completely respectable.

This is how I feel as well. i thought he was a bright spot.

I'm sorry, but any crappy punter in the league can get "hang time" on punts of 34, 27, 33, and 34 yards. A good NFL punter should get hang time on 40 to 44 yard punts.

Brooks did not have a good game. Those who think he did are deluding themselves, or have very low expectations for a punter.

I'm in the tank for Brooks. He's going to be a very good punter. But he didn't do well last night.

1st game of career... Meadowlands... national tv... opening game of the NFL season... I'd say he had some butterflies. He seemed to get better as the game went on. Let's give him a few weeks before we cut him.

exactly what i would say.

the first punt there was mad pressure on him. then his second he got run into. then the third was almost blocked again. i think thats how it went.

but he did get better as the night went on. and he booted out a 51 yarder i believe.

Hang Time Schmange Time. He was bad last night.

Of his 7 punts, he had punts of 34 yards, 27 yards, 33 yards, and 34 yards. NONE of those ended up inside the opponent's 20. That is bad. I don't care if he had 10 second hang-times on them. He missed several opportunities to change the field position advantage with a good, or even decent kick.

Dan, why are bringing facts into this discussion. He had great hang time. :rolleyes: The FO is impeccable. Carry on.

First NFL game, national TV, in the meadowlands against a division rival, and he gets this on his 2nd ever pro attempt:

42143136.jpg

Durant has a lot of room for improvement, but he got better as the night went on and the butterflies were knocked out of him. I'm looking forward to continued improvement. Grade: B-

Dan, why are bringing facts into this discussion. He had great hang time. :rolleyes: The FO is impeccable. Carry on.

Don't cite me for your gratuitous shot at the front office.

The fact is that our punting game needed improvement, and the front office picked up the best college punter in the last 15 years with a late round pick. I have no problem whatsoever with that. To say that he made the team simply to make the front office look good is stupid. Nobody outside of Derrick Frost should believe that. Frost had 3 years to prove himself, and he didn't.

That doesn't negate the fact that Brooks had a rough debut. He improved as the game wore on, and his last two kicks were his best of the night.

Patience toward him will reward this franchise with a solid, consistent punter for years to come. Something Frost was unable to provide.

I do agree he had really good hang time where the ball dropped i was not impressed on.

B-

He gets WAY more hang time than Frost, kept the ball inside the 20 a number of times, and while the distance wasn't fantastic, his net was ok.

He'll only continue to improve. He'll be fine for us. Promise. Dude has a huge leg, he's just focusing on technique adjustments. Once he's totally comfortable, he'll be letting it rip again.

Brooks, Portis and Rock were my top three players last night. His kicks hung in the air forever, it was great.

:doh:

4 of his 7 kicks:

34 yards. (With a return!)

27 yards.

33 yards. (With a return!)

34 yards.

And NONE of these were inside the 20. This was NOT a good game for Brooks. His last 2 punts were fine - 43 yards to the Giants 13 with no return, and 53 yards with a 14 yard return, were fine. Also he had a 41 yard punt to the Giants' 14 yard line with no return.

So that's 4 crappy punts, 3 good ones. Overall, not a good game.

So far, Brooks is a slight downgrade to Frost. One that only cost us 1 pick that should have went to a position of need. Good job FO.

So far? One game.

And please. With a 6th round pick, drafting a position of need is a crap shoot. They got the best college punter in the country with that pick. He'll be fine.

So far? One game.

And please. With a 6th round pick, drafting a position of need is a crap shoot. They got the best college punter in the country with that pick. He'll be fine.

Yep, that's what I said. So far, one game. Drafting a position of need IS a crap shoot, especially in the 6th. But you gotta play to win, and you build a team around your draft. I don't agree we should build that team around any punter.

Archived