Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shaun Suisham Thread; All Talk About Our K!

CRobi21

I've noticed a drop off of hate on one Shaun Suisham. After he missed that first FG against Indianapolis, people were calling for his head! Hmm. Now he's gone what 4-4 in his last 4 FG attempts, and mysteriously, that thread has fallin from the top page.

I mean, we tried to tell you, but you didn't wanna hear it. Now he's blasting his FG's right down the middle with plenty of room to spare. His kickoffs, although need improved consistency, are reaching the endzone. And his hair has looked magnificent that last couple of games.

So do you want that medium rare, or well done?

:silly:

This will be interesting, call out threads are frowned upon, but this is done in a jovial manner. Plus you post a lot and go back and forth with the mods...

I'm fine with it because I've been on Suisham's bangwagon for a long time now. ;) The kid has potential to get better and he's kicking like an above-average kicker.

"off with his head! let's bring back jose cortez."

:doh:

This will be interesting, call out threads are frowned upon, but this is done in a jovial manner. Plus you post a lot and go back and forth with the mods...

I'm fine with it because I've been on Suisham's bangwagon for a long time now. ;) The kid has potential to get better and he's kicking like an above-average kicker.

"off with his head! let's bring back jose cortez."

:doh:

I don't think its technically a call out thread because he isn't calling out one specific person on a personal vendetta

:laugh:

Yea. I should probably cut back on the mod chats though. They usually get the better end of the wise cracks.

*17. Do not create “call out” threads. Threads whose intention is clearly to "call out" another particular member on a personal matter.*

These forums are not to be used as a medium for personal and/or private vendettas. To the extent personal exchanges/conversations are necessary---and desired by BOTH parties---those members are encouraged to pursue them via Private Messaging.

*Feel free to question members as to past comments you’d like them to explain in the spirit of good debate.*

Thread within rules so no worries there. However, there could be a case for merging.

:evil:

;)

I don't think its technically a call out thread because he isn't calling out one specific person on a personal vendetta

Yeah they were a few that would not stop bashing him, not just one.

I think it is great that the article about the criticism he was recieving just came out as well. SS seems to have a grasp on the job at hand. He also kicked fine last night with Brooks Durant holding, another good thing/

It's always going to be day to day with Suisham until he's been here for a couple of years and people forget about the decade of shuffling. We have had nearly as many kickers as starting QBs since 1993.

He was special teams player of the month one week, nailing 50 yarders in high winds and the goat the next. Yesterday, I hope everyone paid attention and learned what a lousy kicker really looks like watching the Jets.

So Suisham has hit 4 field goals in a row and we are supposed to be in shock and awe?

Suisham has had a less than stellar career. The reason people started calling for his head after missing a 39 yarder is because the guy has Zero consistency. Outside of 30 yards he doesn't cut the mustard, heck he even misses XPs

I've noticed a drop off of hate on one Shaun Suisham. After he missed that first FG against Indianapolis, people were calling for his head! Hmm. Now he's gone what 4-4 in his last 4 FG attempts, and mysteriously, that thread has fallin from the top page.

I mean, we tried to tell you, but you didn't wanna hear it. Now he's blasting his FG's right down the middle with plenty of room to spare. His kickoffs, although need improved consistency, are reaching the endzone. And his hair has looked magnificent that last couple of games.

:silly:

I tried to tell everyone a few times that he'd make his next three. I was wrong. He made his next four.:laugh: :silly:

So Suisham has hit 4 field goals in a row and we are supposed to be in shock and awe?

Suisham has had a less than stellar career. The reason people started calling for his head after missing a 39 yarder is because the guy has Zero consistency. Outside of 30 yards he doesn't cut the mustard, heck he even misses XPs

Well, I call out Park City Skins.

To keep on topic, I would really like us to find a more consistent kicker, I was upset we didn't pick up Mason Crosby last year and he was on the board for us.

Again, he was 8 of 9 in 2006

And 29 of 35 in 2007, including perfect at the awful Meadowlands, and 2 game winning FG's (one being at the aforementioned Meadowlands)

I really am trying to see where he is "inconsistant"

The guy's a kicker. Most improve with age. In his first full season as a starter, he had the 2nd best FG percentage of any kicker in Redskins history.

Give the guy a chance.

Don't really believe that I need to "eat crow", I just agreed with the idea of having competittion in camp for all positions. Another kicker to kick beside him in July and August IMO is not a bad idea. I'm happy he has hit some preseason field goals, I hope it gets him on a roll to continue into the season. We will certainly need him this year.

Sorry, but I demand to see him do it consistantly when it counts before I put my order in on the bird. That means CONSISTANTLY driving the ball to the goalline or deeper on kickoffs and CONSISTANTLY driving balls snapped from between the 30 & 35 yard line through the center of the uprights.

I ask you this one question..... How confident would you be (percentage-wise) right now about having Suisham need to make the same kick that Scott Norwood missed to win the Redskins a Super Bowl?

(my answer.... about 35% at most)

I'm right there with you, I don't understand the Suisham hate. 29 for 35 last year? Best kicking we've had in a long while. Kid is here to stay, I hope.

And yeah, people are so focused on the Seattle miss that they forget the OT field goal against Miami, or the 5 for 5 performance against the Jets. Kid is good.

Jury is still out for me with Suisham. He has looked great so far since the preseason game just hoping it translates over to the regular season :cheers:

You have come a long way in a week... :laugh: :D :laugh:

Really I don't doubt that you wish him well but I think the whole reason no competition was brought in was the new roster limitations and the overall performance of Suisham last year. This year he should improve, if not, they will be looking to bring in someone else.

His career so far has him at 82% accuracy. That's better than Neil Rackers, Jay Feely, Lawrence Tynes, Sebastian Janikowski, Jason Elam, Ryan Longwell, David Akers, Josh Brown and a bunch of other kickers in the NFL.

Zero consistency? 83% of field goals made is a pretty consistent number. Outside of 30 yards he "doesn't cut the mustard"? He was 8 of 10 on 30-39 yard attempts, and 19 of 25 on all field goal attempts of 30+, which is roughly 80%. Reic mentioned we should have gone after Crosby, so let's compare those numbers. Crosby was 31 of 39, or 79.5% last season. He was 22 of 28 on 30+ yard field goal attempts, which is right around 80% as well.

And oh no, Suisham missed an extra point, that must mean he's terrible right? In his whole career, he's missed only 1 XP, but don't let facts get in the way of you trying to pretend like missing XPs is a habitual thing for Suisham. Vinateri missed 2 XPs last season, so I guess he is awful too.

None of your statements about Suisham hold true when you actually look at stats, instead of blidly going off perceptions, which in your case with Suisham are dead wrong. The real reason people started calling for his head was because he missed a field goal in the playoffs which would have put us ahead. Nevermind the turnovers and poor play from the entire team, and us losing by 21 points, it was all the kickers fault :rolleyes: . So that is the most recent memory of Suisham, and then he misses a field goal on his first try in preseason, so people want to jump on him. None of that means Suisham is horrible, it simply means certain fans are assumptive idiots who'd rather talk out of their ends than do actual research. Seriosuly, it takes 5 seconds to get to Suisham's career stats on nfl.com and see that what you've said is completely bogus.

The guy's a kicker. Most improve with age. In his first full season as a starter, he had the 2nd best FG percentage of any kicker in Redskins history.

Give the guy a chance.

I wish more Skins fans actually understood that kickers actually DO improve with experience.

Jeff Reed last year was 23-25 in his field goals, best in the league for kickers with more than 15 attempts. Of course, last year was his 6th year in the league, with at least 19 FG attempts in each of those years. Suisham has had ONE season of 19+ attempts. I'm pretty sure we'd have all been happy with Reed kicking for us.

However:

Jeff Reed was 40-51 in his first 51 attempts in the league.

Suisham is 41-50 in his first 50 attempts in the league.

If Reed had been kicking for us early in his career, we would have had numerous fans and numerous threads calling for him to be cut. Then we'd have numerous fans 4 years later blasting the Skins' FO for cutting him lol.

Jay Feely last year was 21-23 in his field goals, 2nd best in the league for kickers with more than 15 attempts. Of course, last year was his 7th year in the league, with at least 23 FG attempts in each of those years. Suisham has had one season of 23+ attempts. I'm pretty sure we'd have all been happy with Feely kicking for us. Hell, some even want us to bring him in now.

However:

Jay Feely was 38-50 in his first 50 attempts in the league.

Suisham is 41-50 in his first 50 attempts in the league.

The guy who some are calling for us to bring into camp to improve our kicking game would have been the same guy fans would have been wanting us to cut if he were actually on the team during his first years in the league. It wasn't until his 5th year of fulltime kicking that Feely had a higher percentage of field goals made than Suisham did last year.

Normally both of these examples would show that having patience with Suisham could very realistically pay huge dividends down the road. "Normally" being the operative word lol.

As for now though...

Last year:

Of the kickers with 10 or more attempts from 30-39 yards, Suisham was 8-10 (11th in the league for this distance, tied with Adam Vinatieri).

Of the kickers with 10 or more attempts from 40-49 yards, Suisham was 10-13 (5th best in the league for this distance).

He's definitely worth keeping.

Archived