Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WUSA9 - Rookie Brooks Challenges for Redskins' Punting Job

HapHaszard

http://www.wusa9.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=74653

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Washington Redskins rookie punter Durant Brooks kneeled on his right knee and placed his left index finger on the grass. He swiveled his head to the left toward kicker Shaun Suisham, who responded with a slight nod.

Brooks then looked to the right, where a football was being placed in a JUGS machine. The machine dispatched the ball directly toward Brooks, who handed the snap, placed the ball on the grass, rotated the laces and held it in place with his index and middle fingers as Suisham kicked it.

A perfect hold. The job looks so simple, but it helped get Brooks where he is today. The sixth-round selection from Georgia Tech was the winner of the Ray Guy Award as the nation's best collegiate punter and was the only player at his position chosen in April's NFL draft, but special teams coach Danny Smith insists the Redskins wouldn't have made the pick if Brooks couldn't hold.

"Going into my senior year I knew that holding would come into big play," Brooks said. "It would definitely help my chances at the next level."

Brooks' holding and punting rituals are getting more scrutiny than the norm for an NFL training camp because his battle against incumbent Derrick Frost is the most interesting position battle in an otherwise very stable Redskins world.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

Glad to see the fans weren't the only ones noticing how bad Frost performed last season.

"During the offseason, Smith had a blunt conversation with Frost, showing him on paper that the Redskins "didn't have an NFL punter" in the playoff loss to Seattle at the end of last season. Frost punted eight times in that game, and Smith said not a single one of them had a hang time of 4.5 seconds -- the benchmark for a decent punt. A 33-yard effort in the fourth quarter gave the Seahawks good field position to score the go-ahead touchdown."

Bring on the new kid and I would add "pinning inside the 10" to the below list of criteria.

Smith said it will be easy to determine a winner -- just simply look at the numbers once the preseason games are done. Gross yards. Net yards. Hang time.

"We're going to lay it on the table and match those numbers up," Smith said, "and keep the best guy."

:2cents:

Glad to see the fans weren't the only ones noticing how bad Frost performed last season.

"During the offseason, Smith had a blunt conversation with Frost, showing him on paper that the Redskins "didn't have an NFL punter" in the playoff loss to Seattle at the end of last season. Frost punted eight times in that game, and Smith said not a single one of them had a hang time of 4.5 seconds -- the benchmark for a decent punt. A 33-yard effort in the fourth quarter gave the Seahawks good field position to score the go-ahead touchdown."

Bring on the new kid and I would add "pinning inside the 10" to the below list of criteria.

Smith said it will be easy to determine a winner -- just simply look at the numbers once the preseason games are done. Gross yards. Net yards. Hang time.

"We're going to lay it on the table and match those numbers up," Smith said, "and keep the best guy."

You have to give Frost a break in the hawks game as you know the crowd noise and all. And all them fans blowing hard on the ball. :silly: Even Gibbs said they weren't prepared for it.

On a positive note: Hasta la vista, Frosty Baby!!!

let's hope so. wouldn't want to burn a draft pick on an experiment.

I'm thinking more along the lines of getting a punter who's better than what the Skins have right now and is one that can, more than likely based on being a rookie, can only improve. Where the experiment is concerned, let's face it, the majority of draft picks taken are are just that.

Punters without jobs are a dime a dozen. You can find an OK punter anywhere. Now, when it comes to monsters like Lechler and Koch who hit bombs, those guys can actually change games. Hopefully Brooks can develop into one of those guys.

Have you seen the YouTube video of his 76 yard punt? Develop nothing, this kid is ready to punt for us. I think we may have drafted a monster ourselves. :cool:

Get ready to pack your bags Frost!!! Preseason will be over soon.

I would go with Brooks even if Frost has slightly better numbers during pre-season. Brooks has a much higher upside.
That's my major concern. If, like Frost usually does, turns it on for training camp and wins the position, we'll have lost the tremdous upside of Brooks. Then, of course, Frost will then immediately it off during the first game of the season - as usual.

Aren't ALL draft picks experiments?

If they are, we should trade them all away for real football players...

I disagree that draft picks are experiments. I believe they are young men looking for work, and you go through an interview process that is rigorous. It's only an experiment if you don't have any idea what you are getting when you get it.

Vinny seems to be improving the scouting department and the team appears to be investing there... We should have fewer mistakes that people confuse with "experiments" in the future.

If the competition is close, then in this situation you have to give the job to the rookie with upside.

I think with a team like the Redskins, a good punting game could really help them out. If they move from the bottom to the top of the league in punting, it makes it that much easier for the offense(shorter field) and defense(longer field). In the NFL, you need every little edge you can get.

Archived