Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Times: Jim Zorn says his preparation makes him ready to coach Redskins (MET)

Thinking Skins

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2008078687_zorn29.html

Click link for entire article

Jim Zorn says his preparation makes him ready to coach Redskins

By Danny O'Neil

Seattle Times staff reporter

The opportunity came out of nowhere, but not the ambition.

Jim Zorn's aspirations were evident before he was named head coach for one of the NFL's richest franchises. Before Washington hired him to be its offensive coordinator and before the franchise promoted him a couple of weeks later without Zorn so much as calling a single play.

This was back when Zorn was with Seattle, the quarterbacks coach on a team where the offensive coordinator doesn't even call the plays. He was on the computer one night at his Mercer Island home, doing the kind of thing ambitious assistants do, typing up an outline of a practice program. His wife, Joy, peeked in to see what he was doing and noticed something at the top of the page: head coach. Not offensive coordinator, which would have been the next professional step for a quarterbacks coach. So she asked her husband just why he hopped over a couple of rungs on the NFL career ladder.

"Well, if I don't prepare and then I get the opportunity, I'll fail," Zorn said.

I hope this isn't already being discussed. I did a search on google, and browsed the first two pages of the Stadium and didn't see anything.

I thought this was a comforting article. But then again, it was probably written to be such. I don't know how true I can take the statements from Holmgren, but its nice to read that Holmgren thought highly of Zorn. Its also nice to see that Zorn has been preparing to become a head coach. That makes it a little more believable that he would've been able to impress Vinny and Snyder in their interviews more than Spagnolo, Fassel and others. I just hope this guy works.

"Did I do the right thing?" Snyder asked Holmgren.

"Well, it's a little late," Holmgren jokingly said. "You absolutely did the right thing. Now help him as an owner. Help him. Do everything you can to help him because you've got a good man."

A man who had been preparing for this chance for years in Seattle only to have it arise so unexpectedly in Washington.

Great article. I really think as long as Snyratto keeps the check book in the safe, draft picks on the board, and evaluate talent cautiously, Zorn will do great. After all, you are only as good as the weakest link (Snyder/Cerratto). I think Zorn will be a great coach.

I think this is why some coordinators, who have one good season, turn down head coach interviews or withdraw their names from consideration. - Because they didn't think much about being a head coach before that one season that got them noticed. They haven't thought before about how to answer some questions during interviews or have plans for every little detail the head coach job requires.

Guys who are focused and have their sights set for the future, think about these details, and are then more prepared for interviews and better prepared to be head coaches mentally.

I think guys who hadn't thought much about it before are guys like Spagnola and Jason Garrett, but will probably be thinking more about it and paying attention to their current bosses now that they have gotten noticed, especially Garrett.

First time coaches that did look prepared would be guys like Sean Payton, Lovie Smith and Jim Mora jr.

One thing about Zorn is he seems like he definately thinks ahead, which is also a good trait for a play-caller too. :)

Zorn is really a hard guy not to like. Besides that though, I think he's going to grow into a heck of a HC.

Great post. :cheers:

I totally agree with you.

Plus, we have a great team on paper. But we all know the games are not played on paper. They are played inside television sets.

So she asked her husband just why he hopped over a couple of rungs on the NFL career ladder.

"Well, if I don't prepare and then I get the opportunity, I'll fail," Zorn said."

I stopped reading after this part because this is one of the best things I ever heard in my life

Edit: The man just says the right thing all the time. I hope he calls the right play all the time.

Zorn is super smart!

For real, I really like his approach. He seems well prepared and knowledgeable enough to be a head coach. I'm glad he didn't come in here and completely uproot the team. I have a good feeling about him.

In my honest opinion of Zorn:

Zorn will make the opposing teams PLAY to our "O" and "D" vs what we have been doing~ trying to regroup and play to others "D" plays........ - and do not challenge my respect for Gibbs, I have all the respect for Gibbs, I didn't have any the previous "O" coordinator............:rolleyes: . In the past, too much throat cut on Gibbs........... - again, my opinion.

Zorn is being aggressive with the WCO, something I feel we have needed for a long time. :D I think the players are going to be challenged to keep up with Zorn :laugh:

Going to be a FUN, yet agressively winning year for the franchise and fans................:cheers:

Even though a lot of pundits would disagree, i think Zorn has come into a good situation. He might have a harder time with a young team, because although he is a straight talk guy, he's doesn't really seem like a disciplinarian type. Luckily he inherits a veteran team who is self motived and self driven, and will buy in to Zorn's tempo that he wants. I think he'll have time to mature as a coach and develop the skills it takes to coach a young team. Right now the older players keep the younger players in line. Plus the whole team is high character front to back anyway. As long as Snyder keeps him aboard, i think Zorn is going to lead a team that will allow him to blossom and really grow into the job.

Archived