Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato: Redskins Trade for Jason Taylor(merged)

JimmiJo

we can't use that draft pick until next year. We just had 2 DE's lost for the season on the first day of camp. We need help now.

you act like we were expected to be super bowl contenders this season. We could have gone the season with Evans, Wilson and another veteran DE in the rotation there and drafted a stud next year. But our front office chose to press the panic button and mortgage the future....again...

This is going to be spectacular. Spectacularly awesome or awful is TBD. I'll be honest, I really don't know how to react. Except maybe by saying that it's going to be wonderful to read about how people say we are addressing of defensive line.

Here's to a (hopefully) productive year for Taylor and Carter! I'm actually excited.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625

Skins trade for Dolphins Taylor after Phillips goes down

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 20, 2008, 6:58 PM ET

After losing defensive end Phillip Daniels for the season, the Washington Redskins moved quickly to fill the void.

The Redskins acquired Jason Taylor from the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins will receive a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

Daniels, a starter, was hurt on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills on Sunday. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.

"Not a good way to start, at all," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys."

ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported Daniels' season-ending injury and the fact that the Redskins were pursuing Taylor.

Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said Taylor is expected to report to Redskins training camp on Monday.

The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles tendon.

"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there," head coach Jim Zorn said. "And Phillip has created a big hole."

Day 1 of Zorn's training camp debut as an NFL head coach also included this sight: Cornerback Fred Smoot threw off his left shoe and clearly was in pain after wideout Santana Moss landed on him during the afternoon practice. It turned out Smoot sprained his ankle and is expected to only miss a week or less.

"I love sprained ankles now, because we know that's just a few days' deal," Zorn said, cracking a smile.

He was more serious while speaking about the loss of Daniels, who has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle. His 59 career sacks rank 17th among active players.

"The hard part is he was so ready, and he did everything that he could possibly do to not just have a great training camp but an excellent football season," Zorn said. "And now he's got a new challenge before him, and of course we have a new challenge before us."

The Redskins began training camp with Erasmus James sidelined. He's a former first-round pick who has had serious knee injuries, and Zorn said he doesn't expect James to be able to begin practicing until next month.

Terrible panic move ... Skin fans should be embarrased ... I am.

Gee....I'm a proud Redskin fan and proud of Vinnie. This was the right thing to do. We had no sure full time DE to plug in Daniels place. Taylor is still one of the very best DE in the league. I would expect that Vinnie got assurances from Taylor's agent that Taylor intended to keep playing at least two more years......I suppose the contract will tell us just how long Mr. Taylor intends to keep playing ball.

The only people I am ashamed of are all the fans who can find nothing but hatred for the Skins........

Good stuff. I approve. The Skins were in a bad negotiating situation, and they got the best player they possibly could.

Don't be mad at the FO for making this deal. If you want to get upset about something, get upset at the fact that we haven't drafted a DE in the first round in eons.

Also, our defensive line is now multiple times better than it was yesterday.

I think most people would have said 3rd and a done deal.....

A 2nd (omitting the 6th because I could care less)....and I think most will say a little high, but thank goodness we didn't give away a 1st.

At this point with our dline problems this is really a deal we had to do.....

A little concerned with him and carter from a run stuffing stand point....but goodness if we have any plans to get after the QB we have 2 ends that can do it. Also wouldn't be suprised if the so called experts don't start taking a second look at us.

httr

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think Jason is a phenomenal player, on the other hand we've lost a Phillip Daniels, who not only was a solid player, but he was also a vocal leader. It's hard not to think this is Daniel's last season... soo confused.

i'm not mad at this deal, a 2nd & a 6th isn't too bad.

this drastically improves our defense though.

That all depends on where that 2nd rounder falls in the order. If we're just renting this guy for a year we paid way too much... and if it ends up being a high 2nd rounder it turns into a joke of a trade.

We could trade for Brett Farve for a 6th rounder and some would still complain. This was a deal we had to make since Daniels is done for the year. We just upgraded big time if you ask me.

We upgraded for THIS YEAR. But unless we go on a helluva run this year, we're not going to be superbowl contenders this year. So what will happen is that next year or in two years when we're trying to add those final pieces, we'll be shorthanded in the draft - again, and JT will be retiring, and our DL will go back to its woeful ways.

and to top that off, Vinny will probably use JT as an excuse not to draft a defensive lineman next year. It just sucks!

we can't use that draft pick until next year. We just had 2 DE's lost for the season on the first day of camp. We need help now.

damn dude ... it is almost scary to see soemthing that makes so much sense. How can you argue this?

I for one wanted to take a chance on Wilson and Evans, but they are ?'s ... we are getting a bonafide stud. Granted he is old, but this guy can still bring it.

sack totals

2004* 9.5

2005* 12.0

2007* 11.0

and he has started 169 out of 172 games! I'm feeling a london fletcher type impact ...

You cant be mad at this trade. It became an extremely pressing need as of today. I mean this guy has been as consistent as anyone could be. Least we didnt part ways with our 1st rounder next year. I, for one couldnt be happier!

I share your sentiment, if not your enthusiasm. I was hoping that we could do this for less, and hoping even more that we were not put in this position at all, but considering our DE situation, it had to be done. Hopefully this isn't a harbinger of what this season holds, injury-wise

We need some perspective here.

Jason Taylor is, without a doubt, an upgrade to Phillip Daniels. The majority here have been clamoring about a better pass rush, and this give us one. Whether or not we'll suffer in the run game is something we'll find out, as Phillip was GREAT at being a run stuffer.

Jason is an elite pass rusher/good run stopper.

Phillip is an average pass rusher/elite run stopper.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that we gave up a 2nd Rounder next year, and we're very good with our second round picks. We're also good with our late round picks, and we'll have to do without a 6th rounder in 2010.

The thing here is, the good news can be amplified and simply outweigh any aspect of the bad news if Jason Taylor plays at the level he usually does and does it for at least two years.

Otherwise, the bad news will be amplified, will outweigh any aspect of the good news here, and the "upgrade" factor over Daniels means nothing considering the fact that Daniels did not cost us young additions to our roster for the next two years.

Please people... let's not get too hype, nor get too down about this just yet. It truly all depends on what happens from here. Let's just hope this works out... if you're a Skins fan, that's what you should want of course, right?

Are you kidding me, PFT.com has it before Vinny announces it to powers at Extreme. ESPN and John Clayton were announcing it around the same time, absolutely nothing from Redskins.com. Hell they just announced that daniels was done for the year. Your way behind in the internet era, Redskins.com.

This is agreat trade by the way

Well it's attack mode now. We lost two defensive ends just this morning. Were the excerises too strenuous? Or was it just a freak accident? Jason Taylor is a big upgrade in this defense. It'll be interesting to see how he fits in with our defense. With Taylor, Fletcher, and Rocky this is going to be a fast front 7. :helmet:

We upgraded for THIS YEAR. But unless we go on a helluva run this year, we're not going to be superbowl contenders this year. So what will happen is that next year or in two years when we're trying to add those final pieces, we'll be shorthanded in the draft - again, and JT will be retiring, and our DL will go back to its woeful ways.

and to top that off, Vinny will probably use JT as an excuse not to draft a defensive lineman next year. It just sucks!

What if EJ works out? He stays behind JT for season or two and all of a sudden he's healthy and has somebody spectacular to learn from. It's not always gloom and doom.

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think Jason is a phenomenal player, on the other hand we've lost a Phillip Daniels, who not only was a solid player, but he was also a vocal leader. It's hard not to think this is Daniel's last season... soo confused.

Daniels is 35 years old. I would have thought this to be his last year regardless. Dude is ancient.

Taylor is old too, but far more talented. He's most definitely an upgrade.

Archived