Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US terrorism watch list tops 1,000,000

WVUforREDSKINS

:party: :dance: :party: :dance: :party:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1447675120080714?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

:wave:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. watch list of terrorism susp

ects has passed 1 million records, corresponding to about 400,000 people, and a leading civil rights group said on Monday the number was far too high to be effective.

The Bush administration disagreed and called the list one of the most effective tools implemented after the September 11 hijacked plane attacks -- when a federal "no-fly" list contained just 16 people considered threats to aviation.

The American Civil Liberties Union publicized the 1 million milestone with a news conference and release.

It said the watch list was an impediment to millions of travelers and called for changes, including tightening criteria for adding names, giving travelers a right to challenge their inclusion and improving procedures for taking wrongly included names off the list.

"America's new million-record watch list is a perfect symbol for what's wrong with this administration's approach to security: it's unfair, out-of-control, a waste of resources (and) treats the rights of the innocent as an afterthought," ACLU technology director Barry Steinhardt said in a release.

I hear even Hassan "tater salad" al-wazzar its on the list.

Ah the good old list. It's a complete and utter ****ing joke. As Bruce Schneier (security guru) once commented:

"Imagine a list of suspected terrorists so dangerous that we can't ever let them fly, yet so innocent that we can't arrest them - even under the draconian provisions of the Patriot Act." :laugh:

And as for the Administration saying the list is a success, not a single terrorist has been caught. It's only a success if you consider harassing tourists and business travelers your objective.

On ONE trip with multiple stops I was stopped and searched three times. I would like to know the logic that gave me the green light after a search for flight 1, NO search for flights two and three, but then I became a threat again for flight segments four and five? :laugh:

And I can't carry a moderate sized tube of toothpaste on a plane but I can carry an automatic weapon to the mall or on a train. Yeah the no-fly list is a great idea.:doh:

And before anyone looks at this and sees a bunch of people whining about those dedicated people in TSA trying to protect us, consider this ... the TSA and DHS has a limited budget. It's large, but it's not unlimited. Every dollar spent on the no-fly-list-fiasco is a dollar NOT spent on trying to prevent terrorism.

There are much, much better ways to spend our security dollar.

That number is not accurate. However either number is far too high.

If my name matches a list on a terror list, of course I would be upset, however with identity theft and false identities...I would understand being put through more security at an airport or customs.

If my name matches a list on a terror list, of course I would be upset, however with identity theft and false identities...I would understand being put through more security at an airport or customs.

Agreed, both my kids were on that list(included in the records)

Kinda humorous when one does armed security for POTUS,and the other gets to play with nukes.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Kinda humorous when one does armed security for POTUS,and the other gets to play with nukes.

And I would disagree that bad security such as the no-fly list makes us safer. Stopping and searching your two kids when they already have clearance is a waste of security resources.

If my house alarm goes off everytime the wind blows or a neighbor enters their house, is that good security?

The no-fly list only works if we know who the terrorists are and they don't travel on fake ID.

And as my earlier quote said, the million names on the no-fly list are people who are such a threat that we aren't prepared to them fly, but are not dangerous enough to be arrested. How does that make sense?

Corcaigh ,there are not a million names on the active lists and if you are on one you can have it removed w/o much hassle.

I agree there are better ways to eliminate terrorists and the threats,but some are too squeamish and concerned with protecting their rights.

added from the link

About 400,000 individuals are included on the list, about 95 percent of whom are not U.S. citizens or residents, Kolton said. The watch list also includes separate entries with aliases, fake passports and fake birth dates, bringing the total number of records to more than 1 million, he said.

TSA spokesman Christopher White said the agency's "no-fly" watchlists to screen travelers were "scrubbed" last year to remove about half of the names, leaving them with somewhat fewer than 50,000.

leaving them with somewhat fewer than 50,000.

The report said 95% of the one million names are not US citizens. This means that 50,000 are. There are 50,000 USA citizens who are suspected terrorists?

Again, they are so dangerous we can't let them board a plane, but we can't arrest them for anything?

What's the criteria for getting on the list then other than having a Muslim sounding name and traveling?

Ah the good old list. It's a complete and utter ****ing joke. As Bruce Schneier (security guru) once commented:

"Imagine a list of suspected terrorists so dangerous that we can't ever let them fly, yet so innocent that we can't arrest them - even under the draconian provisions of the Patriot Act." :laugh:

It's worse that than... Much worse. On the list who appeared at the ACLU press conference is a former assistant US atterney who worked for "another administration" and who holds a current top secret clearance. On the List is a current CNN news correstpondent who has done some stories critical of the DHS. Let's also not forget that Senator Ted Kennedy was on that list for years and only was able to get off it when the news ended up on the front page of the newspapers... He missed a flight, was not permitted to board his plane due to the fact he's was on the list.

Nobody knows why folks end up on that list. Here we have a few folks who appear to have landed on the list because of political retaliations; and who have no ability to clear their name or face their accuser.

The report said 95% of the one million names are not US citizens. This means that 50,000 are. There are 50,000 USA citizens who are suspected terrorists?

The report is bogus. I went to my Rugby Alum game. One of the guys there was on the list and was complaining about it...

You see, People aren't on the list. Names are on the list. So if your name is Bob Jones, and that name is on the list, you are stuck. How many Bob Jones are their in the country? How many Steve Smiths, or George Washingtons?

Folks "irroniously" showing up on this list are a mounting problem. I heard on CNN that 20,000 new names are added every day.

Also heard it took a presidential order to take 90 year old former Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandella off that list.

Agreed, both my kids were on that list(included in the records)

I think its less a question of whether you are worried about being on the list, than it is a question of whether a list of 1,000,000 people is actually useful to catching terrorists.

Corcaigh ,there are not a million names on the active lists and if you are on one you can have it removed w/o much hassle.

Have you not been watching the news? Despite the fact that they have a way of removing names submission of the forms they request have not resulted in the names being removed.

Have you not been watching the news? Despite the fact that they have a way of removing names submission of the forms they request have not resulted in the names being removed.

Destino's right. Nelson Mandella just got off that no fly list last month. It took a Presidential order. Dudes 90 years old and a former winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

I don't think it's accurate to say one can get off the list w/o much hassle. We've got a current CNN news correstpondant and a former assistant federal prosecutor on that list for years who have been unable to get off.

Archived