Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shark photographed jumping over surfers

China

• 2 weeks later...

There were two sharks that basically came up to the shore yesterday here at Fort Fisher. My girl got a "worthless" pic of the bigger one. One was about 3-4 feet. The other was 4-5 feet. Lifeguard cleared the ocean. He said in the 3 years he has been a lifeguard he has never seen more than one at the same time and has never seen them come so close to shore. Sounds scary, but everyone got back in the water an hour later. I saw a pic from a neighbor's digital camera and WOW! Let's just say, I'll be looking around me next time I'm in the water.

I was there last year (stayed in Daytona shores next beach to the north of the inlet). What a nice place to hang out. Lots of suffers none with bitemarks on thier wetsutis. btw shark in pic jumping behind and to the left of said surfer so title is inaccurate, NNT? :laugh:

Thats why I only do my Hot tub. Heck when they aired that news story a few years ago showing that Bull sharks can swim the Potomac, canoes, etc became an after thought.

My brother and I were swimming in the Magothy River off the Chesapeake (off our sailboat) in 1990 until we saw a big bull shark. We were freaked and got out quickly. A week later they caught a 12-footer off of Sandy Point.

I had NO idea that sharks jump like that.

I thought white sharks couldn't jump. :laugh:

My brother and I were swimming in the Magothy River off the Chesapeake (off our sailboat) in 1990 until we saw a big bull shark. We were freaked and got out quickly. A week later they caught a 12-footer off of Sandy Point.

I had NO idea that sharks jump like that.

I thought white sharks couldn't jump. :laugh:

Great Whites are notorious off the cost of South Africa for coming completely out of the water for seals and things.

Oh wait, I just got the joke :doh:

I will keep my original post to show how much of a marine bio nerd I am :laugh::doh::doh:

Thats why I only do my Hot tub. Heck when they aired that news story a few years ago showing that Bull sharks can swim the Potomac, canoes, etc became an after thought.

Yes, but how far up the Potomac from the Chesapeake Bay can the sharks swim?

Great Whites are notorious off the cost of South Africa for coming completely out of the water for seals and things.

Oh wait, I just got the joke :doh:

I will keep my original post to show how much of a marine bio nerd I am :laugh::doh::doh:

Cute :) :laugh:

But what say you, Marine Bio nerd, about this "black tip" shark? Is it like the jumping kind like the jumping spider? MY GOSH he looks like Shamu!

Pretty cool, some type of a shark, I don't think it is a Great White as the video would suggest in some type of brackish water environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_W1kPcApR0&feature=related

Nope, not a great white. Georgia mentioned it was a black tip shark, and she is more than likely correct, as black tip sharks are extremely common up and down the east cost, also the size fits pretty well too, as black tips grow to be about the size in the picture.

Somebody has been releasing alligators into the Delaware river and I am going tubing today right where they are finding them.

This is a bit East and South of your location, but you get the idea :laugh:

Archived