Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Learning to play Guitar.....any help????

skinsfan07

Hey guys, I just got a Fender Squirer Mini the other day...........and was wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks for me so I can learn quickly. I'm trying to get the scaling down pat to make my fingers faster and have also been working on basic chords and some power chords but am still having trouble with my finger placement and stuff. Any suggestions on how I can improve??? I'm a pretty fast learner. lol I already have an amp too.

myguitarpicjp8.jpg

any help would be fantastic guys! Thanks!

Learn a few chords, then go to a place like www.danmansmusic.com and look for songs that you know by heart with chord charts. Easy songs,, I used the Rolling Stones,, three or four chords, easy to play, and I have heard them a million times, so i know every note in my head. Before long you can play actual songs and then you start to see how things get put together.

Then take it from there.

~Bang

just look up songs you like on a good tab site like www.ultimate-guitar.com and play the songs over and over.

What I like to do is copy the tabs/chords from a site then paste it into a text file on my computer. That way I can just pick up the guitar and start playing from the files on my computer instead of searching the internet for them each time. I put all of my tab files in a folder on my computer's desktop, so it's right there in front of me. When I have the urge to play some guitar, i can start playing songs within 2 seconds. That really helped me get quicker at chords and more used to reading tabs.

right now I'm trying to learn how to play "N.E.R.D's - She wants to move" guitar b/c it's pretty easy and will be a good first song to learn.....Here are the tabs.

N.E.R.D.

"She Wants To Move"

Fly or Die

tabbed by 3N

VERSE

E-------------------------------------------------------

B-------------------------------------------------------

G-------------------------------------------------------

D-2--2--3-3-3---2--2--3-3-3---2--2--3-3-3---5--5--7-7-7-

A-2--2--3-3-3---2--2--3-3-3---2--2--3-3-3---5--5--7-7-7-

E-0--0--1-1-1---0--0--1-1-1---0--0--1-1-1---3--3--5-5-5-

after piano [distortion]:

E--17^(18)----17^(18)----17^(18)----17^(18)-16-

B---------16---------16---------16-------------

G----------------------------------------------

D----------------------------------------------

A----------------------------------------------

E----------------------------------------------

CHORUS [distortion]

E--7---7---77--7-----7---7---77--7-----7---7---77--7-----7---7---77--78-

B----8---8----8-8------8---8----8-8------8---8----8-8------8---8----8---

G-----------------------------------------------------------------------

D-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A-----------------------------------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLO

E------------------------3h4-/8-----8/9\8-4--4/6---4-3------

B-/4-------4-2-1-1/2-----------------------------------5--1-

G-----------------------------------------------------------

D-----------------------------------------------------------

A-----------------------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------------------------------------

the solo will be hard and so will be the distortion part, but I think I can get the intro/verse down pretty easily.

Good stuff...Learn how to play Aces High, that song rules.

that song kicks ass, but look at their guitar play, it's amazing. It'll take me a looooooooot more practice and years before I'll be able to play that. Especially the solo.....simply amazing.

learn one acdc song and you got them all.......

my best advice..... play the drums.....

of course im partial i have been playing drums for 28 years...... tried the guitar a few times and sucked something fierce.......... been thinkin of picking up the bass.

my best advice..... play the drums.....

of course im partial i have been playing drums for 28 years...... tried the guitar a few times and sucked something fierce.......... been thinkin of picking up the bass.

I was thinking about the drums. I might try that later if I don't get any good at the guitar. I'm gonna stick with this for a while though.

Then I might get the drums.

Are they easier than the guitar or about the same?

Seems like they'd be easier.....

I was thinking about the drums. I might try that later if I don't get any good at the guitar. I'm gonna stick with this for a while though.

it's all about what you feel in your blood and bones

there is nothing easy about the drums but damn are they fun..... they also do a decent job of keeping you in shape.... i dunno i just like to beat on ****...

i dont think one is any easier than the other really ......... just depends on what you like to do or what you have a talent in ..... my talent and love is for the drums so i really dont have quite the patience to learn the guitar ..... not too mention my fingers are too stiff to play anything really intricate......

from what i have been told is that is from all the years of playing the drums has done some damage to my knuckles and joints.... but i dunno......

either way .... good luck

ps........ like everyone here has said...... learn tabs but i would also suggest going to the local book store and get a book on music theory and harmony.......... it will help you understand scales .... key sigs..... and chord structures..

Good luck - the best thing to do is just practice over and over until your fingers hurt.

I would also recommend the Ramones, if you like Rock. They are really easy 3-4 chord songs that sound really cool. Guitar driven and in your face rock.

Most of their songs are power chords that are some variation of A-D-E and back.

I teach a few kids on the side and when they are ready for bar chords, I introduce the Ramones. They love that they can follow the song.

Dont get discouraged - it doesnt happen over night. Just keep practicing and before you know it, you'll be gigging and getting hotties!

There are a lot of people out there that believe this but it's not true. Sure, most AC/DC songs only have 4-5 chords but it's the rhythm that is the most difficult. Anyone can play D-A-D-G like in Problem Child but getting the timing down on your strums is the most important thing. You can't just strum those chords because it won't sound good.

I highly recommend learning AC/DC songs because you'll learn all of your basic chords, power chords, soloing and intricate rhythm patterns. Try to do your strums exactly how they sound on the record and keep up the beat and you'll see improvements in no time.

Also, learn how to play the Major and Minor scales in all positions up and down the neck. By learning those two scales, you'll be able to work out solos when you're jamming with your buddies.

I will give you some safety advice. On your "fingering" hand, never bend your wrist more than about 20 degrees. You see a lot of rock stars hang their guitars low and the wrists are really bent. They are just inviting problems.

I did this for about 13 years and then I started to have problems. I now have a cyst in my wrist due to over use. It hurts and I am a little slower because of it. The same goes for my uncle. He has been playing for about 40 years with bent wrists and a few months ago he was complaning about soreness. So keep it no more than 20 degrees.

Also, use a metronome. They are lifesavers. 2 hours with a metronome is like 8 hours without. You can use metronomeonline.com.

Most people quite within the first few months because they want to be a rockstar yet they are terrible and their fingers hurt. Be patient. If you can make it past the first 6 months then you will be playing for life!

I started playing on Christmas Day of 1994 on a crappy acoustic with out of this world high action on it. I couldn't play it for more than five minutes before my fingertips would hurt like Hell. After a few months, my grandparents picked me up a Fender Strat knockoff with an amp for about $150. Now that my fingers were starting to get calloused, the guitar that I had sucked so bad. The input jack on it was messed up and the amp that I had was so flaky and generic. At that point, I almost gave up. I came home from school one day and lying on my bed was another yard sale acoustic guitar, but it was a nice dark brown Alvarez that had some wear and tear on it. It wasn't the easiest guitar to play on but I had a connection with it and from that point on I never gave up.

I then got into a big Dave Matthews Band kick as I loved the way Dave played the acoustic and the intricate strumming/riff patterns that he'd come up with. For about two years straight, I worked on nothing but his music which helped me tremendously and I became better than I would be if I had only played basic songs.

You're too old, forget about it. :D

I can't play much anymore due to the Carpal tunnel, so I have to echo the advice about the wrist. It's MUCH harder to play this way IMO, but the wear and tear it saves on your tendons is worth the extra effort.

If you want to play metal, and end up taking lessons, find someone who specializes in teaching metal guitar. Not some jack-off jazz wannabe who thinks metal is childish and beneath him. My old teacher was a music professor at freaking VCU and you'd think he'd know his crap but 90% of the stuff I brought in for him to teach me he got completely wrong. (Like the insane riff in the middle of "Angel of Death")

The first two songs I taught myself were One by Metallica and Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

For power chords, I'd suggest Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Rather easy song with power chords and will give you a good feel for them...

The first two songs I taught myself were One by Metallica and Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

For power chords, I'd suggest Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Rather easy song with power chords and will give you a good feel for them...

thanks man. I'll try that song. i just looked up the tabs and they look pretty easy. This song should def. help me. I'll have to listen to it for a while first though to get the timing down.

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit.

Transcribed by: Szymon Andersen.

written in standard tuning, (EADGHE)

Intro and mainriff. (chords are F, Bb, G#, C#)

e------------------------------------------------------------]

h------------------------------------------------------------]

g------------------------3--3-------------------------6--6---]

D--3---3--3--------------3--3---6---6--6--------------6--6---]

A--3---3--3--x--x--x--x--1--1---6---6--6--x--x--x--x--4--4---]

E--1---1--1--x--x--x--x---------4---4--4--x--x--x--x---------]

Verses

e-----------1-----------------------------------]

h--1--------------------------------------------]

g-----------------------------------------------]

D-----------------------------------------------]

A-----------------------------------------------]

E-----------------------------------------------]

end of verses (play with distortion)

e-------1---------1---------1-------1--------1--]

h--1---------1---------1--------1-------1-------]

D-----------------------------------------------]

Hey!

e-----------------------------------------------]

h-----------------------------------------------]

g----------------3b-----------------------------]

D--3-----3--4---------3-----3--8--6-------------]

A--3--x--3--4---------3--x--3--8--6-------------]

E--1--x--1--2---------1--x--1--6--4-------------]

Solo:

e--------------------------------------------------------------------------]

h--------------------------------------------------------------------------]

g-------8----10-------8--8b--6--5---6-5------------------------------------]

D--10-------------6-----------------------8--6--8--8b--6--5----------------]

A--------------------------------------------------------------------------]

E--------------------------------------------------------------------------]

e-----------------------------------------------]

h-----------------------------------------------]

D---6---5---6---5---6---5---6>5--5>3------------]

What really helped me was when I was first trying to learn a song instead of just playing it of the sheet from the beginning, I'd study the piece from start to finish. Then I'd pick up my guitar and play as far as I could without looking back. When I got to a place I couldn't remember, I'd stop and check to see how I did and what I forgot, then try again.

I'd also suggest learning entire songs from start to finish. When you decide to learn a song, you should decide you haven't actually learned it until you can play the whole thing. When you pick up your guitar next time, try to play it without looking back at the music.

Really helped me. And when you're at a party at a friend's house, you will be able to just pick up the guitar in the corner and do more than pick out a couple riffs.

I'm trying to learn to play metal/classic rock, like iron maiden, ac dc, black sabbath, etc.......so I know it won't be an easy task. I'll def. keep at it.

Black Sabbath is the band that I learned on...

My advice would be:

-Learn to read Tab.

-Get the Sabbath Anthology tab book.

-Don't try to learn the songs all the way through at first, start with the riffs, chord changes etc... Leave the solo's alone for a while.

-Look up lessons on YouTube, For example: Sweet Leaf

Knowing the song in your head is the most important thing at first, this will help you a great deal.

Don't get frustrated. It takes time.

Finally, take a lesson or two.

Archived