Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westboro Baptist Church is picketing a funeral on July 10 in Arlington

No Excuses

Hell, if you take away the "God's punishing us by killing our soldiers" part of their beliefs about homos, a good number of the people on this very message board would agree with them.

i don't believe that. there'd be a few. and they'd yell the loudest. and then the non-religious folk would use their yelling to make blanket statements. :)

Oh, I agree. If these people were doing exactly the same thing at the funerals of gay people, there'd be quite a few folks on this board who'd be sending them donations.

Larry this church is always protesting gay funerals. It is how they got started. It's amazing that no one stands up to these people....truly amazing that no one has retaliated against them except for spray painting their church.

For those going to confront them, I suggest you make out in front of them. That'll really get their fire burning.

Especially if you're gay. :)

(Actually, there's an idea. Any DC gay groups want to show up and support the troops?)

Larry this church is always protesting gay funerals. It is how they got started. It's amazing that no one stands up to these people....truly amazing that no one has retaliated against them except for spray painting their church.

they have been retaliated against. the $$ they win from lawsuits is what funds their hatred.

71. 60 family members and 11 outsiders. Usually 10-15 of them are at each picket.

ah...I wonder what they are protesting in Albany, NY...I mean our ex gov had sex with a female prostitute..so wheres the problem :silly:

If they were protesting at the funeral's of dead gay people, talking about how teh gheys were going to bring the rapture on the US, how God's smote cities over homosexuality before, nobody would blink an eye. Hell, if you take away the "God's punishing us by killing our soldiers" part of their beliefs about homos, a good number of the people on this very message board would agree with them. Alas, in this case, nationalism trumps "Godly" based hatred of fags. I find it amusing to say the least.

Certainly these people are despicable, however, they have the constitutional right to do what they do and YOU have the constitutional right to show up and drown them out, as the Freedom Riders do (I think that's their name). You do not, however, have the right to lay hands on them and would only be furthering their cause if you do.

thats why you get them to lay the first hand, and have plenty of witnesses around when they do so...then you can finish what they 'started'

Does free speech really extend to inflicting emotional pain upon the grieving families of the dead? I can see defending their right to speak their insane, attention-whoring, hate-filled message. But does the free speech right give them unlimited freedom as to where and when they speak that message? That right should not extend to where they inflict harm upon innocent families. Doesn't the old exception of "screaming 'fire' in a crowded theater" apply here?

I can't possibly express the disdain I have for these clowns. There are few things more disrespectful and hateful than the callous disruption of a ceremony meant to celebrate life and mourn death. If there is true evil, then they are its embodiment.

They wanted to picket the VT victims funerals as well.

Someone stepped in and gave them radio time so they would leave the victims alone.

http://www.mikeonline.com/

His name is Mike Gallagher, he's a conservative talk show host and he agreed to give WBC some air time instead of protesting. I have a deep respect for him, WBC was claiming they were coming to Blacksburg to protest my friend's funeral and we had to arrange for police protection for the entrance to the German Club (a non-greek fraternity). The manor is private property and has a long driveway so they wouldn't have been able to get close. The town was fully prepared to deny them a permit and VT admin was not going to allow them to access any parts of the campus--I can assure you that WBC wouldn't have been given a very warm welcome.

http://www.mikeonline.com/

His name is Mike Gallagher, he's a conservative talk show host and he agreed to give WBC some air time instead of protesting. I have a deep respect for him, WBC was claiming they were coming to Blacksburg to protest my friend's funeral and we had to arrange for police protection for the entrance to the German Club (a non-greek fraternity). The manor is private property and has a long driveway so they wouldn't have been able to get close. The town was fully prepared to deny them a permit and VT admin was not going to allow them to access any parts of the campus--I can assure you that WBC wouldn't have been given a very warm welcome.

Props to him. :applause:

Does free speech really extend to inflicting emotional pain upon the grieving families of the dead? I can see defending their right to speak their insane, attention-whoring, hate-filled message. But does the free speech right give them unlimited freedom as to where and when they speak that message? That right should not extend to where they inflict harm upon innocent families. Doesn't the old exception of "screaming 'fire' in a crowded theater" apply here?

I think so, Dan. To me, this is inciteful speech. They are hoping to cause trouble because they know it will get them media attention.

Now, I'm a vociferous defender of free speech, but I think this goes far beyond the 1st amendment. It would be one thing if they protested on Capitol Hill, or on a stree corner in front of a homosexual organization or something, but this, this goes too far.

Props to him. :applause:

Agreed, his political views mean very little to me...that man is all class--this isn't the first time he's done it either.

Didn't they pass a law that made protests within X feet of a military funeral illegal?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5015690.stm

Can't protest within 300ft, punishable by up to $100,000 fine and a year in jail.

There are, and should be, some limits to free speech.

Didn't they pass a law that made protests within X feet of a military funeral illegal?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5015690.stm

Can't protest within 300ft, punishable by up to $100,000 fine and a year in jail.

There are, and should be, some limits to free speech.

In addition to the Federal law, it looks like some States have followed up with similar state-level laws.

I hope the Federal law gives the mourning family some isolation from their protest at Arlington National Cemetery tomorrow.

In addition to the Federal law, it looks like some States have followed up with similar state-level laws.

I hope the Federal law gives the mourning family some isolation from their protest at Arlington National Cemetary tomorrow.

Oh I'm sure they will. I hope some WBC ******* gets too close to an MP and gets a well deserved beatdown.

I'm trying to find the video, theres one out there somewhere of Paulette (I think thats her name) Phelps getting punched by a Sheriff. Its a pretty poor video because the camera man gets knocked down too (smart Sheriff), but it makes me smile.

I think so, Dan. To me, this is inciteful speech. They are hoping to cause trouble because they know it will get them media attention.

MLK wanted to cause trouble to get media attention, too. Should he have been prohibited from being so uppity?

Are protests only allowed in places where people don't mind them?

MLK wanted to cause trouble to get media attention, too. Should he have been prohibited from being so uppity?

Are protests only allowed in places where people don't mind them?

The protesters don't have the right to infringe on the right of the families to have a peaceful funeral. Especially when the cemetary or wherever else the funeral is being held is on private property. Then the WBC has no rights to even come on that land.

Westburro is NOT a Christian church. They are the farthest things from Christianity I think about you can get. I know what would Jesus condone this type up behavior. I hope some of the nonbelievers on this board can see the evil insanity behind Westburro's way of thinking and not extended that to all of Christianity....because the vast majority of Christianity is NOT insane like this.

Does free speech really extend to inflicting emotional pain upon the grieving families of the dead? I can see defending their right to speak their insane, attention-whoring, hate-filled message. But does the free speech right give them unlimited freedom as to where and when they speak that message? That right should not extend to where they inflict harm upon innocent families.
This is where I totally take sides with you Dan. I think people have the right to yap about all the crazp crap they want until it gets to the point it is causing emotional damaged to vicitims' families.

Archived