Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Dobson blasts Obama; blriesenbeck07 is sick of holier than thou lunatics

Toe Jam

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_el_pr/rel_dobson_obama

By ERIC GORSKI, AP Religion Writer 2 minutes ago

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - As Barack Obama broadens his outreach to evangelical voters, one of the movement's biggest names, James Dobson, accuses the likely Democratic presidential nominee of distorting the Bible and pushing a "fruitcake interpretation" of the Constitution.

The criticism, to be aired Tuesday on Dobson's Focus on the Family radio program, comes shortly after an Obama aide suggested a meeting at the organization's headquarters here, said Tom Minnery, senior vice president for government and public policy at Focus on the Family.

The conservative Christian group provided The Associated Press with an advance copy of the pre-taped radio segment, which runs 18 minutes and highlights excerpts of a speech Obama gave in June 2006 to the liberal Christian group Call to Renewal. Obama mentions Dobson in the speech.

"Even if we did have only Christians in our midst, if we expelled every non-Christian from the United States of America, whose Christianity would we teach in the schools?" Obama said. "Would we go with James Dobson's or Al Sharpton's?" referring to the civil rights leader.

click link for rest of article

SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT THE **** UP!

I'm sick of it. I can't take it anymore.

Religion needs to stay out of politics forever and ever and ever and ever!

No more.

I'm throwing in the towel. See you after Armageddon.

It's unreal to me these days how much people want to push their beliefs on everyone else.

That's what modern politics are all about. Getting people to do what YOU believe they ought to do. Whether it's about war, the environment or religion, politics is about getting control of the government to force people to do what you want.

Unless you're a libertarian of course. :)

That's what modern politics are all about. Getting people to do what YOU believe they ought to do. Whether it's about war, the environment or religion, politics is about getting control of the government to force people to do what you want.

;)

;)
:cool:

Religion is an indelible force in politics, has been for thousands of years, and it's not changing anytime soon. There are many countries in the world where it is impossible to say where one ends and the other begins. In our own country, religion has touched the political sphere, for good or ill, since the very beginning.

This story is for junkies and activists. It will mean absolutely nothing this November. It means nothing now. Is anyone shocked that James Dobson would be critical of Barack Obama? Sure, Dobson has some influence, but mostly with those that wouldn't vote for Obama in a million years.

It seems some of us need to get down to the methadone clinic just to tide us over through election season.

Agreed.

Religion and politics don't mix but it seems most people just don't want to allow that.

There's a reason seperation of church and state are supposed to exist.

I guess you're candidate should have thought about that before he touted his religion in public. :2cents:

And who is James Dobson to decide what is moral and what isn't? :2cents:
Never said he was.

I actually disagree with Jim Dobson on many things. :2cents:

My point was, just because somebody is religious, doesn't exclude them from the freedom of speech and the right to be critical of a candidate like everyone else. And I'm sick of the crying and whining about it. Its beginning to surpass the likes of Skinsfan51 with his persecuted Christian threads.

SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT THE **** UP!

I'm sick of it. I can't take it anymore.

Religion needs to stay out of politics forever and ever and ever and ever!

So...you're mad at Obama the politician for mentioning Dobson the preacher in a speech at a religious event?

:whoknows:

Religion is an indelible force in politics, has been for thousands of years, and it's not changing anytime soon. There are many countries in the world where it is impossible to say where one ends and the other begins. In our own country, religion has touched the political sphere, for good or ill, since the very beginning.

This story is for junkies and activists. It will mean absolutely nothing this November. It means nothing now. Is anyone shocked that James Dobson would be critical of Barack Obama? Sure, Dobson has some influence, but mostly with those that wouldn't vote for Obama in a million years.

It seems some of us need to get down to the methadone clinic just to tide us over through election season.

Never said he was.

I actually disagree with Jim Dobson on many things. :2cents:

My point was, just because somebody is religious, doesn't exclude them from the freedom of speech and the right to be critical of a candidate like everyone else. And I'm sick of the crying and whining about it. Its beginning to surpass the likes of Skinsfan51 with his persecuted Christian threads.

Both statements are 102% correct.

I guess you're candidate should have thought about that before he touted his religion in public. :2cents:

What is that even supposed to mean? I'm talking about all candidates. There is no such thing as "my" candidate. I happen to think the demonizing many people try to do to Obama is very unfair and I am currently leaning towards voting for him but that's not set in stone like many on this board. I agree with a lot more of his policies but people go out of there way to make the guy out to be this wolf in sheeps clothing and I just don't buy it.

This same principle applies to McCain too. Look at all the **** he got into trying to appeal to the right with Hagee.

It could all be pointless if people would stop basing their opinions of politicians based on religion.

It could all be pointless if people would stop basing their opinions of politicians based on religion.

My friend this wouldn't be a democracy with out people having opinions.

You may not like what Dobson stands for, but to deny his right to disagree is unAmerican.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_el_pr/rel_dobson_obama;_ylt=AhHR__CzDzXrY.Xd5A3OyNKs0NUE

Am I required in a democracy to conform my efforts in the political arena to his bloody notion of what is right with regard to the lives of tiny babies?" Dobson said. "What he's trying to say here is unless everybody agrees, we have no right to fight for what we believe."

Archived