Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

Suspect the heater core's clogged.  Don't know any way to check that.  

best way is to disconnect the two hoses to it under the hood and run water from hose thru it...people mixing coolants can create a jelly substance

you can check the heater hoses after it warms up to see if both are about the same temp if disconnecting hoses is not desired.

while you are at it look along the hose for a cutoff valve(some had them back then)

there is a separate blend door for hot/ cold than the defrost /vent

BTW, using a garden hose on the heater core fixed the problem. 

Didn't even take much pressure. Disconnected one hose (I have no clue which one is supply or return) from the front of the engine block. (Picked the one that was easiest to reach). Just stuck the hose up against it. And water immediately started gushing out of the fitting on the engine. Put the hose back on, now I got heat. 

Thought it would take a lot more than that to blast out an obstruction. But hey, easy fix. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

When we have rains of significant proportion, my windshield wipers will randomly do one and a half motions in the off mode.  I will be driving down the street after big rains, when it's not raining anymore, and my windshield wipers will suddenly freak out.  Water in the computer?  

Probably the multifunction switch on the column, usually spraying it with wd-40(where the arm goes into the column) and moving the the controls will stop it, but it could be moisture on the motor pulse board..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Takata recall of 10M inflators could be last of air bag saga

DETROIT (AP) — Takata is recalling 10 million more front air bag inflators sold to 14 different automakers because they can explode with too much force and hurl shrapnel.

The recall is the last one the bankrupt company agreed to in a 2015 settlement with the U.S. safety regulators. It could bring to a close the largest series of automotive recalls in U.S. history.

The 10 million inflators are part of the approximately 70 million in the U.S. that Takata was to recall as part of the agreement with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Vehicles made by Audi, BMW, Honda, Daimler Vans, Fiat Chrysler, Ferrari, Ford, General Motors, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and Volkswagen are affected.

Automakers will determine what models are affected and launch their own recalls. Ford, Fiat Chrysler, Honda and Mazda already have made announcements.

The recalled inflators were used to replace dangerous ones made by Takata until a permanent remedy could be developed.

Takata used ammonium nitrate to create a small explosion to inflate air bags. The chemical can deteriorate over time when exposed to high heat and humidity and burn too fast, blowing apart a metal canister and hurling shrapnel.

Permanent replacements don’t use ammonium nitrate.

At least 25 people have been killed worldwide and hundreds injured by Takata inflators. About 100 million inflators are being recalled across the globe.

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...

Have a 2013 kia sorento lx.

Motor had 106,032 and locked up was completely replaced in October by Kia free of charge. I now have a new warranty on the motor.

This morning it started to run roughly when driving. 

Check engine light has come on.

I did a Diagnostic check and came up with these 2 codes

P0019 and P1326

Looked up both codes are these expansive repairs ? 

Do you think that this could be covered under the new warranty that is on the motor now ?

1 hour ago, mark327 said:

Have a 2013 kia sorento lx.

Motor had 106,032 and locked up was completely replaced in October by Kia free of charge. I now have a new warranty on the motor.

This morning it started to run roughly when driving. 

Check engine light has come on.

I did a Diagnostic check and came up with these 2 codes

P0019 and P1326

Looked up both codes are these expansive repairs ? 

Do you think that this could be covered under the new warranty that is on the motor now ?

contact your dealer the latter code is definitely covered and the other related

new motor probably

02 rsx type s...took it to get tuned by s highly reputable tuner. Has a k24a2 engine and supposedly had a new clutch. 

Driving back home everything was cool til some road work was happening and people stomped on their breaks. I attempt to downshift from 6th to 5th and refused to go in gear. Wouldnt go in any gear after that. I pulled over...cut the car off and can put car in a gear. I tried to start it in gear and it made a not so good noise so I just cut it back off. I'm not low on brake fluid.  Didnt smell anything burn out. 

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

02 rsx type s...took it to get tuned by s highly reputable tuner. Has a k24a2 engine and supposedly had a new clutch. 

Driving back home everything was cool til some road work was happening and people stomped on their breaks. I attempt to downshift from 6th to 5th and refused to go in gear. Wouldnt go in any gear after that. I pulled over...cut the car off and can put car in a gear. I tried to start it in gear and it made a not so good noise so I just cut it back off. I'm not low on brake fluid.  Didnt smell anything burn out. 

maybe the clutch plate is sticking , will it start in neutral?

add if so try

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/clutch/ct_104.htm

Edited by twa

4 hours ago, twa said:

contact your dealer the latter code is definitely covered and the other related

new motor probably

Thanks twa,

Talked to dealership they confirmed verbally what you posted about the code but said they would have to verify it at their service center.  Having car towed tomorrow morning.  Looks likes another 2 months without the car.

Drove it 5,000 miles. Motor just had its first oil change last week. ☹

23 minutes ago, mark327 said:

Thanks twa,

Motor just had its first oil change last week. ☹

advised my cousin not to buy one, then I turned around and bought one for the wife.

at least it is warrantied well,they extended the warranty even for those not having that issue yet.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

advised my cousin not to buy one, then I turned around and bought one for the wife.

at least it is warrantied well,they extended the warranty even for those not having that issue yet.

Yeah,  I have a 2015 Sportage with like 71+ thousand on it with the same motor as the 13 Sorrento has.

Waiting for it to blow up . Not looking forward to it but still waiting

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mark327 said:

Yeah,  I have a 2015 Sportage with like 71+ thousand on it with the same motor as the 13 Sorrento has.

Waiting for it to blow up . Not looking forward to it but still waiting

do they at least provide a rental?

you might look into the lemon law, especially if you have had other issues.

my dealer has been pushing me hard to trade it in for some reason.

14 minutes ago, twa said:

do they at least provide a rental?

you might look into the lemon law, especially if you have had other issues.

my dealer has been pushing me hard to trade it in for some reason.

Yes Kia pays for the rental.

In October when the sorrento had its first engine replacement they took a week before they even looked at it because they only had 2 mechanics assigned to do replacement engines only. Then another week waiting for an engine to be delivered to the dealership. They were doing about 7 engine replacements a month . Or so I was told. 

At that time I was given a rental and had it for 4 weeks. Not going to wait that long for a rental this time around.  I Am Going to call corporate Monday morning to complain. 

I also have been getting letters from my dealership offering me for a trade in. With a new engine why would I want to trade it in. Except for body style changes it's like new or was up until today😥

One thing I can say about my Kia's

I have not had any problems at all with them except the recent engine dying crap😁

6 minutes ago, mark327 said:

One thing I can say about my Kia's

I have not had any problems at all with them except the recent engine dying crap😁

I've only had minor issues I've fixed myself. plus the wife hates it so I plan on keeping it awhile as payback for her trading in the Camaro on it.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Preface this with the knowledge that I know little to nothing about cars..but I have a 2010 Honda Insight that started making a noise on the way to work this morning. Pulled over and popped the hood and noticed that this was missing its bolts (?).

What is this part?

QqEqs9zr.jpg

For reference here is a picture of the entire engine at build. The part in question is in the front passenger side.

Honda-Insight-49.jpg

Ok I'm thinking it's called an air inlet baffle. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

06 Honda Pilot, ~150K miles

Lower control arms—bushings dry rotted being replaced. Axle issues (car shakes at 60 mph). Quote $850.

Is that price in the ball park of reasonable for this type of job?

Sounds pretty fair to me.

• Like 1