Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

probably gots a cousin that does remodeling too....cash of course

my uncle actually did that. The guy he hired was amazing but he would start projects and wouldn't finish others.  The projects he did do were so good that you would keep wanting to give him more work to do

my uncle actually did that. The guy he hired was amazing but he would start projects and wouldn't finish others. The projects he did do were so good that you would keep wanting to give him more work to do

did your uncle tip him up front? That's the secret with the Mexicans...part tip up front. Edited by Redskins Diehard

Probably one of the most steretyping posts I've seen in here. Want your car shiny for cheap? Get a couple Mexicans

or pick another group of folks. Just my experience, as I worked in a Mexican restaurant for 10 years, and everyone (even me) was picking up side jobs - I cleaned houses. I was popular for military - clean bathrooms.

or pick another group of folks. Just my experience, as I worked in a Mexican restaurant for 10 years, and everyone (even me) was picking up side jobs - I cleaned houses. I was popular for military - clean bathrooms.

I don't know what groups are inherently good at car detailing. Especially not ones that are good AND cheap.

I don't know what groups are inherently good at car detailing. Especially not ones that are good AND cheap.

Koreans, very detail oriented....it helps if ya threaten to cut their ears off(they seem strangely attached to them)

Is this a good price for a detail job? all for $225 to get the car back into showroom condition.  Not sure if i want to do it since this is my daily car. 

Interior: ◦Vacuum - Extremely thorough. ◦Shampoo/Steam Clean - carpets, floor mats and all other cloth surfaces.  ◦Carpet Spot Removal  ◦Clean and Condition Leather Seats  ◦Clean and Protect Dashboard - to include all other vinyl surfaces  ◦Clean all Other Interior Surfaces including cup holders, center console, small storage areas and air vents.  ◦Clean Trunk - included on all applicable steps.  ◦Fabric Protectant ◦Car Fragrance - (by request)  ◦Streak Free Clean Windows and Mirrors    •Exterior:  ◦Clean Tires  ◦Clean Rims - Including most stubborn break dust.  ◦Shine tires using silicone based conditioner for longer shiny black appearance.  ◦Clean wheel wells  ◦Wash Door Jambs  ◦Wax Door Jambs  ◦Remove Oxidation and Other residue From Plastic Trim.  ◦Clean, Condition, and Protect Plastic and Rubber Trim.  ◦Detail Logos & Trim to Remove Excess Wax Residue and dirt buildup  ◦Engine Detail (upon request)  ◦Seven Step Exterior Paint Solution  1.Hand Wash  2.Remove Bugs and Tar  3.Clay Vehicle to Remove Contaminants  4.Hand Dry  5.Compound as needed to remove more stubborn scuffs and scrathes.  6.Wax/Polish to remove light scratches, remove oxidation, and enhance gloss  7.Paint Sealant to protect vehicle's paint from such as road salt and tar

I live out in the middle of nowhere and I get high quality work from caucasians for $80! Interior only. 

Nope. As long as the viscosity stays correct then you should be ok.

Would it matter from real to synthetic?

And did you see my post about my repair to the motor mount (I dropped it in the RTT yesterday, sorry)?

For some reason, my brakes are tighter! Like noticeably so, big time. And he didn't touch anything near the wheels at all. Just the 2 mounts (said the tops were ok), an oil change & radiator flush, and a new washer fluid hose.

Would it matter from real to synthetic?

And did you see my post about my repair to the motor mount (I dropped it in the RTT yesterday, sorry)?

For some reason, my brakes are tighter! Like noticeably so, big time. And he didn't touch anything near the wheels at all. Just the 2 mounts (said the tops were ok), an oil change & radiator flush, and a new washer fluid hose.

From all the studies that I've read, switching between synthetic and conventuals will make no difference. The viscosity is still the same, synthetic oil just contains very little sulfur and sometimes more additives.

• Like 1

springfield, what's your recommendation for high mileage vehicles? Dino oil or synthetic? No diff?

Really depends.

I'd say that in most cases a regular conventional oil is fine, unless the vehicle specifies synthetic.

A synthetic oil will always be superior. It's just that if you've been running a conventional for the first 100k on your Toyota Camry it doesn't really make sense to switch to a synthetic all of the sudden, mechanically or financially. Now if you have a brand new Camry, and you use synthetic then by all means continue using it until 300k.

You won't ever hurt anything by using synthetic but there are definitely dimishing returns with something like that when you get in the high mileage.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to despise cars.  So I have this reoccurring issue when my car is struggling to gain speed.  I had the same problem last year but my dad unclogged the exhaust pipe that had the flexible attached.  So I had to get it fixed in March due to I had to get my emission test.  Passed with flying colors, but last Saturday it was starting to feel the same problem.  So thinking that the the the pipe was good.  I changed the Catalytic converter with the engine manifold.  Unfortunately didn't solve the problem.  

So we changed air filter, cleaned the intake, and the PC valve and put fuel injector fluid.  I'm pretty sure that if I unclogged the pipe it will work perfectly.  But don't want to spend another $200 + again to get my emission test to pass. A

I was hoping someone would bump this thread...

PRO TIP: The AC is the only system on your car that you don't need to service if it is working properly. Keep that in mind this coming summer season.

Maxito, what kind of car is it?

It's a 2003 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder. Just drove it and I even can't go pass 40mph Edited by Maxito

• 2 weeks later...

There's a plastic connector that connects from the base of my headlamp bulbs to the power source wire. I called advanced and autozone and they said I have to call the dealer for this. 

BTW, how the heck do work inside modern cars? There is no room in there to get any leverage or light. 

Edited by Elessar78

how much do you think it costs for someone to replace a side fender and to paint the front of the car? I am thinking to fix my 02 corolla because it looks awful and i want to keep it forever.  i gave that car back to my dad but he doesn't drive it as much as i would.  I love my first baby and i want it to look nice and not all crusty!

OK yeah, the plastic retainer that holds the headlight onto the assembly or the connector onto the headlight are only available from the dealer.  Sometimes they only come with the headlight lens assembly.  Good luck!

(if you look really hard, you'll probably see it sitting somewhere below where you dropped it)

And yeah sometimes cars are a pain in the ass to work on.  You almost have to be a contortionist to be able to reach what you need.  You get used to it though, find easier ways to do what you need.

how much do you think it costs for someone to replace a side fender and to paint the front of the car? I am thinking to fix my 02 corolla because it looks awful and i want to keep it forever.  i gave that car back to my dad but he doesn't drive it as much as i would.  I love my first baby and i want it to look nice and not all crusty!

I have no clue, I don't do any body work.  That's kind of a different industry than the auto maintenance and repair.

It's probably fairly expensive though.  Gott make sure it fits properly (which is harder than you'd think) and matches the color of the rest of the car (which is harder than you'd think).