Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GF: Shakeup in Secondary?

J.Campbell17

I like Landry being at FS and I'm not sure about Schweigert starting. I like Doughty and I my idea would be to stick with LL at FS and Reed at SS. Anyway, like Blache said, there is going to be a competition, they are not going to give him a starting spot unless he earns it.

It is one of those cases where it might all be about getting the best players on the field. If Schweigert ends up being a better FS than Doughty is at SS, you might see the flip.

While I didn't think so initially, Fox might have a tough time making this team. That seemed kind of silly with only three returning safeties, but with all the young guys who have been brought in and him coming off of surgery, he could get behind the 8 ball rather quickly.

Jason

It is one of those cases where it might all be about getting the best players on the field. If Schweigert ends up being a better FS than Doughty is at SS, you might see the flip.

While I didn't think so initially, Fox might have a tough time making this team. That seemed kind of silly with only three returning safeties, but with all the young guys who have been brought in and him coming off of surgery, he could get behind the 8 ball rather quickly.

Jason

I agree, although I think Stu will have to be more than a little bit better at FS than Doughty at SS for them to makse the switch. I think Landry is better at FS.

There is already a few threads on this subject, but I geuss your good because you posted a new story about it. Anywayz I don't think it matters If Landry starts at SS and Stuart at FS. Either way our defense has alot of different looks we move people around a lot. Landry has already proven he can be great anywhere on the field. I do love him in centerfield though. I would rotate everyone give different looks and confuse offenses. You could still have Landry play centerfield at the SS.

I agree, although I think Stu will have to be more than a little bit better at FS than Doughty at SS for them to makse the switch. I think Landry is better at FS.

Not sure about that one way or another. The way he was billed before the draft, he sounded more like a strong safety -- big time hitter, strong against the run but poor catching skills.

Then again he's super fast so that lends to free safety. He struck me more as a strong safety type but could play free too, but who knows.

Competition at Safety should be fierce. Other than Landry, nobody else is a shoo-in to make the team. While Doughty has an inside track, I don't think anything is a given. Should be fun to watch as these guys bust their balls to impress.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that when Landry was moved to FS last year you could instantly see that he covered more ground than the Goodyear Blimp?

I'm not too sure of Stu's skills, but since he did just get picked-up of waivers... I would think that he would have to do a hell of a job to knock Landry out of the FS spot.

Not to mention, it looked like LL was starting to flourish in that position late last year. i.e. (2 ints on Hasselbeck in the playoff game).:2cents:

Not sure about that one way or another. The way he was billed before the draft, he sounded more like a strong safety -- big time hitter, strong against the run but poor catching skills.

Then again he's super fast so that lends to free safety. He struck me more as a strong safety type but could play free too, but who knows.

Where did you hear that Landry didn't have catching skills? I never read that.

I really like Landry at SS, since it will allow him to blitz more, which he does better than anyone IMO. He can still drop back and zone cover occasionally, but I like the idea of him covering the slot and TE more than I do Schweigart. I honestly don't care where he plays, though, he excels at both positions. It will really depend on the play of Doughty and Stu. I do want him blitzing more, though.

Only the coaches know what position best fits LL. They know his assignments and watched him on every single play. Fans simply don't have enough info to give an informed opinion on the matter.

In the end, it'll probably come down to who is best at the other safety position.

I was thinking I liked Landry At FS best. But noone can deny that if we still had ST Landry would be SS. So I can see where LL fits in at SS. He's a punishing hitter to stop the run and a good cover guy also unlike Roy Williams.

I'm trusting Blache on this one (of course..LOL)as long as whoever is at FS is not getting burned deep.

I really like LL at FS. He has that ST effect of making receivers scared of that deep ball, as well as coming over the middle. he can still blitz from FS. Also, one of his strengths coming out of college was that he was the leader of his D. He is football-smart and can breakdown plays, and has great instincts to boot.

I like the idea of keeping LL at the FS position, and letting the best man win the SS.

The LL/Reed combo was pretty damned effective last year, I say keep it until it proves to be otherwise... or another player can oust Reed.

**Note. Reed has already proven innefective at SS. If Stu can prove to be effective vs the run, then we may have a more "interchangable" safety situation. There are also other Draftees and UDFAs in the mix, so we'll see.

Landry is open to playing deep as a free safety or closer to the front lines as a strong safety. "It doesn't matter," he said. "Whatever coach wants me to do, that's what I'm here for."

It's up to the coaches either way he will be a beast on the field at whatever position they put him at!!!!!

man, i saw the raiders on nfl network last night, and i saw our boy stu, get chumped three times, i really dont like him. i trust the raiders fans, they see arch part deux. unless i see him laying big hits, and sound tackles, im not going to trust the guy. reed is a RUN STOPPER, re-watch the seattle game, he is an animal.

man, i saw the raiders on nfl network last night, and i saw our boy stu, get chumped three times, i really dont like him. i trust the raiders fans, they see arch part deux. unless i see him laying big hits, and sound tackles, im not going to trust the guy. reed is a RUN STOPPER, re-watch the seattle game, he is an animal.

Don't you wish the FO had that same amount of trust in Reed the RUN STOPPER, like you do???

Have to trust the coaches on this one, but a few things come to mind.

1. LL can play either position and will start the season at one.

2. Reed can only play SS, and has proven he can play SS.

3. Schweigert appears to excel only at FS if he excels at all.

4. Need to see what the rookies provide, especially Moore.

A good camp battle that I see at least one of the veterans gone by the end of camp. Right now only LL and Reed, IMHO, have roster locks.

Just have to be patient and wait for camp and the pre-season games.

Have to trust the coaches on this one, but a few things come to mind.

1. LL can play either position and will start the season at one.

2. Reed can only play SS, and has proven he can play SS.

3. Schweigert appears to excel only at FS if he excels at all.

4. Need to see what the rookies provide, especially Moore.

A good camp battle that I see at least one of the veterans gone by the end of camp. Right now only LL and Reed, IMHO, have roster locks.

Just have to be patient and wait for camp and the pre-season games.

Another nice analysis, Fred.

:cheers:

One thing to note is that we don't really have a lot of FS type guys. Doughty is probably a mostly in-the-box guy and so is the rookie Horton. Fox didn't seem particularly great in coverage when he played.

That leaves rookie Moore, the somewhat raw Hamilton and Schweigert.

Jason

To me, you just can't take LaRon out of the FS postition. With the emergence he showed at the end of the year, it would just be a dumb move to move him. I think Dirty 30 and Reed are our starters, with Stew coming in for Reed in passing situations.

But what do I know?

I would def like to see how LaRon does at FS with a few starts at that position already under his belt. Eventhough its obviously not my decision, I would have LL at FS and Doughty at SS to begin with. If Doughty wasn't cutting it, then Move LL to SS and Stu at FS.

But I guess we'll see what happens at training camp.

Archived