Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GF: Shakeup in Secondary?

J.Campbell17

Just echoing what others have said here but I like Laron landry more at free safety. Blache said "he's a pure free safety" about Schweigert. Now GB knows a LOT more about football than I do but Schweigert has a reputation as being slow and taking poor angles on open field tackles from his days in Oakland. He seems better suited for strong safety.

Oh well, I know it will be a competition. And never look past our young guys at those slots either.

Landry is just too big of a playmaker to confine him at SS in my opinion.

Also, Schweigert lost his starting job in Oakland. I'm not sure how much that says about his playmaking ability. The coaches will do what's best but I really think LaRon Landry should be playing deep.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=36168

Hmm..Makes you wonder. A secondary with Landry and Schweigert

Sounds like he has a good chance of making FS if Landry goes back to SS.

I read the article and don't see any indication that there might be a shake up. Blache simply stated that Schwiegert is a 'pure free safety'. Why would that mean that LL would move to SS? Landry was the best FS coming out of college. I think it's safe to see that LL is a better FS than Stu. I just don't understand why LL would move to SS to be replaced by a good, but less talented player at FS, especially in a defense scheme that asks alot form the FS position.

And i don't think its fair to Doughty to lose his starting SS without competetion. There is something called team chemistry, you don't start shaking things up just for fun.

I think Gary Fitzgerald is needlessly speculating. Stu was a good signing, but i don't see him being handed a starting spot unless he clearly out plays someone during training camp. Let's wait and see. These 'what if' scenarios bug me. If Washington moves to WILL backer then Gatewood could be the SAM? If Daniels move to DT then Eramus James could start at DE? Sounds plausible but its just speculation, anyone can speculate.

:cheers:

Just echoing what others have said here but I like Laron landry more at free safety. Blache said "he's a pure free safety" about Schweigert. Now GB knows a LOT more about football than I do but Schweigert has a reputation as being slow and taking poor angles on open field tackles from his days in Oakland. He seems better suited for strong safety.

Nope. Everything I've seen from him in college and the pros says FS. I saw his college highlight film and most of it was him out in centerfield breaking up passes and picking off QBs. Also, he has issues taking on bigger players, like running backs and is not that powerful of a hitter.

Now, that doesn't mean that he doesn't need to up his game. It is possible, tho, that he was miscast in Oakland and some things can be addressed with coaching.

As I said before, it is probably going to depend on who is better - Schweigert at FS or Doughty at SS. Landry is going to be great no matter which position he plays.

Jason

i think landry should stay back in the deep mid just watching everything develop. he has incredible closing speed like sean did, it would be a waste to move him to ss because are pass rush isnt what we would like it to be, we need him protecting the deep ball because qbs will have time to get it down there. i mean i know hes a good blitzer and all, so blitz him from the fs position! mix it up ! He really needs to stay at FS.

Honestly I don't care who plays where as long as we have the best players on the field. We could see Landry and Doughty like the end of last year, Schweigert and Landry, or we could see Landry/Doughty in run situations, and Landry/Schweigert on passing downs. A lot of posters were worried about depth at safety, at least we have that now. Let the chips fall were they may.

I definately think Blache will make the best decision and that decision will be based on what is best for the team. No matter what combination starts, I think all 3 Landry, Doughty, and Schweigert all will get alot of playing time which is good it makes our secondary that more versatile.

I agree with the above that Landry will play FS or SS depending on Stu vs. Reed at their respective positions.

I think some salt needs to be thrown on how Landry looked at FS. We ended the season:

Buff, rookie QB

Chi, injure Grossman, Griese comes in

NY, HUGE wind

Minn, Jackson was awful last year

Dal, we just rocked them

Hasselbeck picked us apart for much of the playoff game, but Landry played exceptionally well in the 2nd half.

Landry didn't have too many weaknesses coming out of college but two of them were his pure cover skills and hands. He may be better at SS when he can blitz and support the run.

If Schweigert turns out to be starting material here, I hope they interchange Schweigert and Landry position-wise. I think it'd be a waste to only have Landry as run-support for his entire career. Wasn't that the plan with Landy and Taylor? Since both had the physical ability, make it so the offense wasn't sure who'd be in deep coverage and who might blitz.

That article is mostly speculation. In order for there to be a shakeup, he has to win a spot, something he hasnt done. Of course the coaches are going to tell him he has an opportunity to win a starting job. Almost any player has an opportunity. But actually winning it is different. I think its a very good signing, that shores up a position we were weak at with a couple of no name rookies playing backup. But lets wait and see what happens first, and so far, thats nothing.

Just to let you all know, the Raiders fans are laughing at us for thinking that Stu is starter worthy.

Just like we laughed when SF signed Walt Harris, then he became a pro bowler. :doh:

Sometimes, a change of scenery can do wonders for someone's career. Course, he has to prove that he's worthy, which is no sure thing.

Jason

Just like we laughed when SF signed Walt Harris, then he became a pro bowler. :doh:

Sometimes, a change of scenery can do wonders for someone's career. Course, he has to prove that he's worthy, which is no sure thing.

Jason

Or just like when the Rams fan came on here and said AA would be a bust.What did we say :point2sky so the team he came from knows him way better then we do.

When the skins drafted Landry I thought it would be another 6 years before anyone would talk about getting a new safety around here. I hate having to think about what could have been with landry and Taylor.:(

I trust the coaches to make a wise decision. Perhaps it will be a game to game or package situation where they may switch.

This is the way I like to think. If you have two players at the same position with the same amount of talent, let them both play. If one starts making better decisions and plays with the amount of time he is given, then give him a little more reps.

:helmet:

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that when Landry was moved to FS last year you could instantly see that he covered more ground than the Goodyear Blimp?

I'm not too sure of Stu's skills, but since he did just get picked-up of waivers... I would think that he would have to do a hell of a job to knock Landry out of the FS spot.

Not to mention, it looked like LL was starting to flourish in that position late last year. i.e. (2 ints on Hasselbeck in the playoff game).:2cents:

I agree with this 100%, I mean the Raiders didn't want Stu so that CAN'T be a good sign....depth in the secondary sure but he would have to be amazing IMO to break up a secondary that performed so well last year after the ST passing

Archived