Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is man an animal?

WVUforREDSKINS

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

depends on which definition you are using:

1. A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.

yes we're animals

2. An animal organism other than a human, especially a mammal.

not animals

3. A person who behaves in a bestial or brutish manner.

In this case most men and some women are animals

4. A human considered with respect to his or her physical, as opposed to spiritual, nature.

oh yeah I'm an animal!

5. A person having a specified aptitude or set of interests:

Again, yes for some of us.

So as you can see, one of the definitions for "animal" specificaly excludes humans. So I went with the 3rd option although this could hardly be described as complex. This is not an opinion. 95.56% of you are wrong.

Etymology

The word "animal" comes from the Latin word animale, neuter of animalis, and is derived from anima, meaning vital breath or soul. In everyday colloquial usage, the word usually refers to non-human animals. The biological definition of the word refers to all members of the Kingdom Animalia. Therefore, when the word "animal" is used in a biological context, humans are included.[1]

^ "Animal". The American Heritage Dictionary (Forth). (2006). Houghton Mifflin Company.

This is the correct answer.

Also, this thread has proven that humans are animals. Apparently not all humans are intelligent beings.

edit: don't want this to be a call out

We are a truly special kind of animal (obvious). To think how we have come to be is amazing to think about. But look at all of our actions, they can be connected to even the simplest of life forms. But because of our cognitive abilities, we are able to label everything in a different and unique way, and put ourselves above the frog that hops beneath us. But in the big picture, we are no bigger or better. Just another species trying to get by.'

Actually, reminds me of some lyrics I read somewhere

Our bodies see a different world today,

we're worlds away.....

we're only animals

These habits have changed,

but the roots still remain

we're rearranged.....

but we're still animals, we're only animals......

You should re-evaluate the situation. Anyone who cluelessly thumps the Bible in order to present an argument pretty much has no ground to stand on.

Sith has shown himself to be irrational and incapable of reason. You can't argue with someone who is going to imply that carbon dating, early man, scientists and historians are lying because you believe in Genisis literally. It is going no where.

His statement "man cannot be animal because we go on vacation and play video games" was something else. I asked him about early man since they obviously didn't go on vacation and he didn't answer. All you ever got out of him was why would the Bible lie. Yea he has nothing.

What a joke. Im all for people believing in God, but to deny evolution (of some sort) is madness. The Chuch accepts evolution!!!!!

We can only hope he doesn't vote:silly:

Sith has shown himself to be irrational and incapable of reason. You can't argue with someone who is going to imply that carbon dating, early man, scientists and historians are lying because you believe in Genisis literally. It is going no where.

His statement "man cannot be animal because we go on vacation and play video games" was something else. I asked him about early man since they obviously didn't go on vacation and he didn't answer. All you ever got out of him was why would the Bible lie. Yea he has nothing.

What a joke. Im all for people believing in God, but to deny evolution (of some sort) is madness. The Chuch accepts evolution!!!!!

We can only hope he doesn't vote:silly:

My family goes to church every week and accept the evolution theory. They aren't polar opposites like alot of people think.

'

:laugh: Well, if it's good for one thing....it's good for a laugh.

Going on vacations, playing games or watching TV have nothing to do with surviving. An animal does no such things.

What if you are lost in the woods, it is proven that survival instincts take over. Do you say that a starving person in the wilderness will search for a TV rather than something to eat and shelter? Just as an animal does.

How do you go on vacation if you don't have a job?

I see animals playing games every day. Have you ever been to a dog park?

Animals playing games:http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/greatergood/2008spring/Dugatkin444.html

Animals build things and use tools. The bird kingdom is perhaps the best example of this, however even insects can build some pretty amazing structures.

http://www.design.upenn.edu/arch/news/Human_Settlements/essential.html

Put me down as an animal.

An incredibly sexy one ;)

Archived