Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is man an animal?

WVUforREDSKINS

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest sith lord

How in the world can we be animals when we have a free will? Everything an animal does is either instinctive, for survival or to apease his master.

How in the world can we be animals when we have a free will? Everything an animal does is either instinctive, for survival or to apease his master.

This is a good point.

But, there is another question here. Do we have free will? (Philosophy classes have spent semesters on this one question)

Isn't everything we do basically instintive or to survive? Sure, I could not go to work tomorrow as a free choice, but I would be losing money which gets a roof over my head and food in the stomach. So its against my best survival interest.

Early man was nothing but instinct!! But, you have to believe in evolution to believe that. I'm not sure that you do though.

Free will is part of having a higher brain, specifically the cerbral cortex which developed over years and years.

Guest sith lord
This is a good point.

But, there is another question here. Do we have free will? (Philosophy classes have spent semesters on this one question)

Isn't everything we do basically instintive or to survive? Sure, I could not go to work tomorrow as a free choice, but I would be losing money which gets a roof over my head and food in the stomach. So its against my best survival interest.

Early man was nothing but instinct!! But, you have to believe in evolution to believe that. I'm not sure that you do though.

Free will is part of having a higher brain, specifically the cerbral cortex which developed over years and years.

Going on vacations, playing games or watching TV have nothing to do with surviving. An animal does no such things.

This is a good point.

Yes.
Isn't everything we do basically instintive or to survive?
Nope. This thread proves it. :2cents:

Going on vacations, playing games or watching TV have nothing to do with surviving. An animal does no such things.

Luxuries that have come along with thousands and thousands of years of humans rising to be the dominant animal species. We don't need to spend all of our time trying to survive anymore.

Guest sith lord
Luxuries that have come along with thousands and thousands of years of humans rising to be the dominant animal species. We don't need to spend all of our time trying to survive anymore.

Vacations have absolutely nothing to do with humans being dominant. It takes an intelligence that an animal will never have to go on vacations, play games and to build complex objects that humans do.

This is a good point.

If you guys really don't think animals have free will, I would love to see you dogsit my border collie, Jersey, for a weekend. :laugh:

By the way - this whole thing of 'humans are made in God's image' and 'humans are better than animals' just seems completely narcissitic and conceded to me. What the hell makes us so much better? And do you really think God couldn't do any better than us? Hope you don't ever see your reflection in a pool. ;)

Well, let's see.

We can act like a horse's ass.

Be sneaky as a snake.

Play dumb as a fox.

Swim like a fish.

Sing like a bird.

Move like a turtle.

Strut like a rooster.

Look like a deer caught in the headlights.

Run like a stripe-ass ape.

Be a real bear.

Or a total jackass.

Be strong as an ox.

Float like a butterfly.

Sting like a bee.

Fight like cats and dogs.

Follow like sheep.

Cry crocodile tears.

Have alligator arms.

Or chicken legs.

Play possum.

Act a little squirrelly.

Have frog in our throat.

And we're all full of bull!

Hell no! We ain't no animals!

Vacations have absolutely nothing to do with humans being dominant. It takes an intelligence that an animal will never have to go on vacations, play games and to build complex objects that humans do.

Again, a higher developed brain allows these things to be possible.

Early man could not do these things because he didn't have the intelligence. So modern man is not an animal, but were early man animal?

Archived