Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN Blog: Cowboys don't need elite No. 2 WR

dallasfan

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

I wrote on the eve of last season that a star No. 2 receiver was a luxury, not a necessity, for the Cowboys. Tony Romo sits to pee made me look smart by setting a whole bunch of franchise records, including passing yards (4,211) and TDs (36) in a season.

I understand why Jerry wanted another stud to pair with T.O. But it's not like the Cowboys are in big trouble at receiver, even if Terry Glenn can't come back from knee problems. (Let's not even mention Jerry's wild plans for Pacman Jones.)

The Cowboys put up huge numbers with Patrick Crayton lined up opposite T.O. Pro Bowl TE Jason Witten is the second option in the passing game, which means the Cowboys can get by with a marginal No. 2 WR.

This isn't anything new around these parts. Just look at the Jerry-era Super Bowl champions, which used basically the same passing scheme that Jason Garrett installed before last season. (Matter of fact, follow the jump for a comparison of Crayton's stats to the No. 2 WRs on those squads.)

It would have been nice to upgrade the WR corps this offseason, but the Cowboys should be able to approach 500 points with the current cast. Then Jerry can find a receiver who can eventually take the No. 1 baton from T.O. next offseason.

Didn't the super bowl champion Cowboys also have a really good running back? What was his name...

Yeah, I think they did, didn't they?...From what I remember reading one time in an article, having a devastating running threat helped the passing game in some way. So I'm just guessing that would help offset the lack of a "premier" #2 receiver.

I understand why Jerry wanted another stud to pair with T.O. But it's not like the Cowboys are in big trouble at receiver, even if Terry Glenn can't come back from knee problems.
BS, they don't need a "stud" but they need a guy who could fill in as a number #1 or a couple guys who together are legit #2's.

Thats the point Crayton is "reliable" 700 yards and 7 TDs as the #2 WR and the #3 pass target is pretty damn good

Yeah, it's clutch catches and a big mouth that are his problem. :laugh:

Have a receiver that is good enough to replace T.O. is a luxury for this team at this point, they put up staggering offensive numbers last season with the same guys, record breaking numbers. And enough with the "What about the injuries, if Witten and T.O. and Romo sits to pee go down, then what happens...." Do you people think about this before you post it? What happens to any team when their top teir guys go down.

Thats the point Crayton is "reliable" 700 yards and 7 TDs as the #2 WR and the #3 pass target is pretty damn good
Come on now though, that can still be said about a lot of teams.

Fact of the matter is, it still holds true. If TO wasn't on the other side of Crayton and Witten wasn't there also Crayton wouldn't have gain half the numbers he got. If either goes down I can't imagine there's a single cowboys fan out there that thinks they'd be just fine, or that Crayton could take over the #1 spot.

If Glenn can play it certainly helps, but I don't see a bigger drop off in WR talent on any other team in the league than TO to Crayton.

Fact of the matter is, it still holds true. If TO wasn't on the other side of Crayton and Witten wasn't there also Crayton wouldn't have gain half the numbers he got. If either goes down I can't imagine there's a single cowboys fan out there that thinks they'd be just fine, or that Crayton could take over the #1 spot.

If Glenn can play it certainly helps, but I don't see a bigger drop off in WR talent on any other team in the league than TO to Crayton.

The point being made was we can play the "what if so and so goes down" game with plenty of teams. It's true that we are in bad shape if a key guy goes down in certain spots but what team doesn't have this dilemma at one position or another.

The point being made was we can play the "what if so and so goes down" game with plenty of teams. It's true that we are in bad shape if a key guy goes down in certain spots but what team doesn't have this dilemma at one position or another.

No one has to get hurt for the pukes to suck this year...you'll see. :laugh:

So, what happens when injury prone T.O. goes down... again?
The Cowboys are depending on Glenn to be back to 100% which sounds crazy......Hence the answer to your question is they'll be screwed.

THA is correct all teams have these issues, the difference is the Cowboys knew about this one and chose to ignore it.:2cents:

The Cowboys are depending on Glenn to be back to 100% which sounds crazy......Hence the answer to your question is they'll be screwed.

THA is correct all teams have these issues, the difference is the Cowboys knew about this one and chose to ignore it.:2cents:

Glenn being back 100%? Didn't he get hit on his second play and complain that Landry was knee hunting for him while sliding a good 15 feet?

We are in agreement the Cowboys will be in a bad spot if TO goes down for an extended period next yr. I put Glenn at about 25% at being able to play most/all next yr.

I respect your opinion and you've been open to being the Dallas GM/Owner before so I ask you what would you have done this off-season to protect the passing game THIS YEAR if TO went down? Keeping in mind JJ has his sights on winning the SB. What would you have added to the WR corp (w/no TO) that could have made that goal resonable?

Pay 2 #1s for a top #1 WR? (Galloway trade still stings)

Can a rookie WR be counted upon to be a productive starter in the playoffs/SB?

We are in agreement the Cowboys will be in a bad spot if TO goes down for an extended period next yr. I put Glenn at about 25% at being able to play most/all next yr.
I agree with your 25% Glenn prediction. For the Cowboys it is too bad because he is exactly what they need. Healthy he is a great #2 and could fill in as a #1. His health would also allow Crayton to stay at #3 and Stanback and whoever (Hurd) to gain experience and stay in the 4, 5 or 6 spots.

My thoughts that Dallas blew it not drafting a WR that should easily have been capable of being a #2 last year are well documented. The interesting thing is many Cowboy fans agreed with me until the draft. BTW there were 2 players I was shocked the Cowboys didn't take with their first round pick last year, the other was a CB/S who will make a big name for himself this year. If the Cowboys had drafted him last year they wouldn't have had to draft Jenkins this year.

The same thing happened this year when most felt one of their first 3 picks would address this need until after the draft:doh: . To the Cowboys credit they did a great job picking Jenkins and although I'd have taken Mendenhall, they filled the RB slot which were their other two big need slots. Since Dallas appears determined to stick with Glenn, I fully expected Dallas to trade up in the second round to grab Jackson, Kelley or Sweed. Although none of these guys could have produced immediately, they probably could have become decent contributors as the season progresses.

If I'm GM and am confident my team has a shot at the Super Bowl I'd have done what I could to trade for one any of a number of WR's that could have been had and cut Glenn (based mostly on injury concern and partially on the idea that I've been told his release would not effect the cap too bad). Dallas doesn't require a #1 WR, they need a #2 who could fill in as a #1 and there were numerous players that at leat fit this bill.

Stocking all those extra draft picks for next year is nice but it isn't helping a SB bid this year.:2cents:

In other news I also think they are waiting on the Bucs to cut QB's. They will grab one of them.

What would you have done to solve the WR predicament?

the other was a CB/S who will make a big name for himself this year. If the Cowboys had drafted him last year they wouldn't have had to draft Jenkins this year.

Brandon Merriweather is a safety. He lined up at some corner because the pats were pretty thin there, but he's a safety. And if we drafted him, we'd probably have drafted a DE/OLB before a wr this year anyway.

Archived