Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I'll vote for McCain over Obama

robotfire

I'm pretty a-political, so I really would like some feedback on this. Here's what I've got so far about both candidates:

McCain:

• He was taken as a prisoner of war, which is mostly irrelevant but pretty awesome.
  • He seems to only fight for progress that is not devisive. Most of his major progress in congress was done through the cooperation of both parties.

Obama:

• He seems like a really cool guy.
  • He wants change, but I'm not sure what that means. If he's talking about gas prices or more grocery stores where I live, I might vote for him.

Based on everything I know about both politicians (see above), I will vote for McCain. Can anybody tell me why I'm wrong/right? I realize how lazy this is of me, but I want to be more knowledgable on the subject than I currently am without having to do much work.

Seems like a well thought out, in depth analysis of all positions. Rock the vote.
I see your sarcasm, and I will raise you a "cons" section:

McCain is old.

Obama may or may not be a terrorist, based on some spam I got.

EDIT: A lot of the reason I am doing this is because I see myself as the voter who will decide this election (scary, isn't it?). The rest of the voters have already decided. Is there a smoking gun on either of these guys that tells me not to vote for them? At this point, they both seem like good candidates.

Seems like a well thought out, in depth analysis of all positions. Rock the vote.
I think we can do better:

Positives for McCain:

• American Hero - POW in Vietnam
  • Hot wife, cute daughter

Positives for Obama:

• Young and charismatic
  • Hot wife, underage daughters :paranoid:

Negatives for McCain:

• Older than dirt
  • Can't remember the difference between Sunnis and Shiites
  • Born in Panama

Negatives for Obama:

• He's black
  • He's white
  • He's a covert Muslim terrorist
  • He's an extremist Christian

What else we got? :silly:

I would never vote for McCain because he's inherently lazy. Just how much time would it take for him to dye his hair. The white hair on TV is just jarring. Makes him look old. And the neck waddle. How can he be for the people if he avoids lyposcution. He is inconsiderate of our aesthetic well being.

I would never vote for McCain because he's inherently lazy. Just how much time would it take for him to dye his hair. The white hair on TV is just jarring. Makes him look old. And the neck waddle. How can he be for the people if he avoids lyposcution. He is inconsiderate of our aesthetic well being.

Heh.

Guess you didn't like Clinton either then. Afterall, dude was snow white at 50 (whether canned or not) and he has to check the bags under his eyes when he flies. Don't even get me started on his wife. :silly:

Heh.

Guess you didn't like Clinton either then. Afterall, dude was snow white at 50 (whether canned or not) and he has to check the bags under his eyes when he flies. Don't even get me started on his wife. :silly:

I'd consider Hillary if she and Bill would just Botox it up. Seriously, what does it take to bring sexy back into the White House?

Besides, as an important liberal, how hard would it be for Hillary to get dieting tips from Callista Flockhart?

Sheer laziness. Damn political fatcats.

Unfortunately, too much of our populace will vote for a candidate based on these points.

"He mentioned guns! He must want to take them away! Awww, she ducked sniper fire, lets vote for her. He was a POW, certainly he is qualified. I feel your pain. He's one of us, lets vote for him. He really cares about global warming, he won a prize."

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/

go to those websites and see which candidate has more issue positions that you agree with.

After reading all of that, I still don't see much difference in the candidates. They both want to simplify taxes. They both have a plan for the war that isn't very detailed (whether they were for it or not to begin with is irrelevant to me, because it doesn't matter at this point - what will they do about it now?).

They both sound like good people who care about their communities. After reading Obama's stuff, I like what I see. I'm not sure how much of that is just because it's written well and in a way that everybody can get behind it, but I can't help but wonder if he'll just be that kind of president (which is probably a good thing).

If you get beyond all the hate and mud, I actually think we have a chance to have an election between two reasonably honest, intelligent and decent candidates. I really don't have any strong reasons to dislike either at this point. This may actually be the first election in a long time where it's about the better candidate winning and not the lesser of two evils.

It might be best to just keep editing the points/counterpoints like this so that it's all at the top. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to do that. My laziness is probably part of why I'm leaning toward McCain right now, though. I can relate to him. On the other hand, do I really want a guy like me in the White House?
If you get beyond all the hate and mud, I actually think we have a chance to have an election between two reasonably honest, intelligent and decent candidates. I really don't have any strong reasons to dislike either at this point. This may actually be the first election in a long time where it's about the better candidate winning and not the lesser of two evils.
I have to agree with this. It's what has brought me to my current debacle.

I think we can do better:

Positives for McCain:

• American Hero - POW in Vietnam
  • Hot wife, cute daughter
  • "Maverick" is such a cool word to describe someone.

Positives for Obama:

• Young and charismatic
  • Hot wife, underage daughters :paranoid:
  • Has Hope. Hope is awesome. And Oprah likes him.

Negatives for McCain:

• Older than dirt
  • Can't remember the difference between Sunnis and Shiites
  • Born in Panama
  • Last name starting with "Mc" opens him up to lots of zingers. McSame, McOld, McEtc.

Negatives for Obama:

• He's black
  • He's white
  • He's a covert Muslim terrorist
  • He's an extremist Christian
  • Wifey hates America.

I added some, and you use some really ****ing advanced BB codes, professor. :silly:

Here's a basic rundown of McCain's main points. I'll let you decide if you like them:

- Cut The Corporate Tax Rate From 35 To 25 Percent.

- Repeal the Alternative Minimum Tax

- 3/5 majority vote in Congress to raise taxes

- $2,500 tax credit ($5,000 for families) to pay for healthcare

- appoint conservative judges

- veto all earmarks

- carbon cap and trade

- protect gun rights

- bolster troops in iraq

You guys are hilarious. :D This is a good thread.

So I've made my opinions known before, but here's how I see this election.

Assuming Obama gets the nomination -- and honestly, it's REALLY hard to see Hillary getting it, given the current situation plus what's about to come down the pike -- this probably will be the first election of my life in which two reasonably honest, honorable, decent people are running for president.

Not great people in relation to my next-door neighbor, mind you, but relative to other politicians. Reasonably honest and decent presidential candidates.

I'm finding it difficult to list pros and cons for each candidate without showing my own bias, and the point of this thread is to offer guidance -- not political sound bites. So I'll just offer up what, in my opinion, is easily the most important single issue of this election:

The US Constitution must be restored to its rightful position of unassailable dignity, out of reach of the knives and scalpels of short-sighted braggarts and fools. As a nation, the USA is nothing without our most sacred governmental document to guide the actions of future governments -- both those we agree with and those we disagree with.

The Constitution paved the way for ending slavery. It paved the way for women's right to vote. It paved the way for the civil rights movement. Even in the nation's darkest moments, before, during, and after the South attempted to secede from the Union, the Constitution framed the entire dialog between North and South over whether slavery was right or wrong. And in the end -- in return for its service as a guiding document -- the Constitution emerged stronger than ever, every single time.

It has served as a model for our treatment of each other, our treatment of others (under most presidents anyway), and even as a model for the way others reciprocally treat us. It has served as a guiding document for the creation of the United Nations, and it has directly influenced the civilized world's notions of what human rights and responsible government should be. I think it's an easy argument to make that aside from the Magna Carta, the US Constitution is the most influential governing and human rights document of the past 1,000 years.

And it's ours. Think about that.

Yet, without a citizenry willing to respect its principles -- without a government willing to respect its principles -- our American Constitution is worth precisely nothing, and the past 250 years of advances in human rights and government by the people will crumble. If you aren't willing to respect that document, always, regardless of the situation, you might as well just take a Zippo to it. Because without that respect, it will be treated as a joke within two or three generations anyway.

Everything else -- literally, everything else -- we think of as "American" follows from the way we treat our Constitution. And not just on single issues like the Second Amendment (which is important, by the way), but also on the notion of universal human rights. The permissibility of torture. The permissibility of arrogant elective war. The permissibility of spying on our own countrymen. The notion that a president can sign a bill into law and then write a note on the back of a ****tail napkin that reads, "...But I will not uphold my sworn oath before God; I will not do my Constitutional duty by enforcing this law."

And it's also a very, very easy case to make that fiscal solvency is a requirement for a secure nation that follows the letter and spirit of the Constitution. Wasted money, by the trillions of dollars, could be needed at any time to fight a truly necessary war. And it's even more harrowing to realize that to a large degree, our increasing debt comes at the price of enabling the atrocious human rights record of China, AND at the additional price of increasing the amount of strong-arm leverage China exerts on us.

Whether you're on the left, the right, or in the center, the one and only thing respectable, principled Americans seem to agree on about government is that the Constitution MUST NOT be compromised in any significant way. We are not just another nation of Machiavellian idiots who can't see beyond the end of our own generation. And we are not the old USSR, electively crafting new fundamental rules of law to enable the latest idiotic fad in governmental control over a cowed populace. We are better than that.

We may disagree amongst ourselves about how we turn our principles into laws, but more importantly, we ARE a nation of principles. And we have the incredible good fortune to have been given one of the most perfect governing documents ever created -- crafted by men who fought and died for the opportunity to do what was considered completely impossible at the time. We are living testaments to the idea that people can rule themselves by principle, not by tyranny.

And only at our extreme peril do we dare to think ourselves wiser than such men as James Madison or Gouverneur Morris, and throw away the document that has guided us in our growth from a poor agrarian nation into the most powerful civilization the world has ever seen. Through all that time, through far greater challenges than we see today, the Constitution has proven itself to be up to the challenge. Now, the past 7 years may feel different because they're our challenge -- we happen to have been around to live through them. But the Constitution still applies, in its current form, without exceptions. Just as it has since the late 1700s.

So the most important issue is, and it's impossible not to be at least a bit political here: Who do YOU think will do a better job of utterly refuting the current administration's efforts to replace government-by-principle with some new, made-up policy of government-by-whatever-you-get-away-with?

Given the current administration's follies, who among our two candidates will be the better Constitutionalist?

Archived