Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wr/Kr Jerome Mathis to the Redskins...

skins84

Local guy from Petersburg who probably grew up a Skins fan. Not sure what this means for Rock in the return game as I'm sure Mathis will get a shot in preseason if he's healthy. Picking him up certainly can't hurt.

Um what? Doesn't sound like a Redskins move to me...

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5568&highlight=jerome+mathis

http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=57646c7b4d35bb9e

Advertisement - New Beginnings Community Church

Texans’ Mathis charged with family violence

By John Lowman

The Facts

Published February 19, 2008

MANVEL — Houston Texans receiver Jerome Mathis was arrested on assault-family violence charges late Sunday after allegedly choking his pregnant girlfriend, Brazoria County Sheriff’s officials said.

Mathis, 24, was booked into the Brazoria County jail at 9:26 p.m. Sunday and posted $3,000 bond at 11:11 p.m., according to the sheriff’s office. He faces one charge of assault causing bodily injury under the family violence code, Patrol Capt. Richard Foreman said.

Mathis allegedly pushed Erica Smith, 26, onto a bed during an argument in their home in the 3600 block of Tumbling Falls at about 11 p.m. Friday, Foreman said. The couple apparently discussed a cell-phone battery charger before the incident, he said.

“She reported that he came home verbally aggressive toward her and left the residence, then came back a few minutes later demanding his car charger,” Foreman said. “He became angry while he looked for the charger, and when she gave it to him, he pushed her down on the bed and began choking her while putting all of his body weight on her.”

Mathis is 6-1, 195 pounds and Smith is 5-10, 145 pounds, according to a police report. Smith told Mathis she was calling the police before he left the home in a vehicle, according to the report. Alcohol apparently was involved, the report states.

When officers arrived at the home late Friday, they saw a red mark on Smith’s neck just below her jawbone, Foreman said.

Smith reported no other injuries but was “worrying about her unborn baby,” Foreman said. She refused to be taken to a hospital and declined to press charges.

But under the family violence code, either a person assaulted or the state can pursue charges, District Attorney Jeri Yenne said.

“It’s not unusual. the State of Texas vs. an individual is the vast majority of assault cases we have,” Yenne said. “Particularly in family violence cases, officers are mandated to make an arrest when there’s evidence an assault was committed.

“We’re going to treat this case like any other Class A assault,” Yenne said. “We’ll evaluate it based on the evidence.”

The Texans had no detailed comment Monday afternoon.

“We’re still gathering all the details and information,” team Vice President of Communications Tony Wyllie said. “That’s all we can say at this time.”

The warrant for Mathis’ arrest was issued by Brazoria County Precinct 3 Justice of the Peace Gordon Starkenburg.

All incidents of family violence are reported to the state, and if an alleged victim does not wish to press charges, state officials weigh the merits of a case, Sheriff Charles Wagner said. They chose to advance the Mathis incident because Smith is pregnant, he said.

“When an officer responds to a call, it’s up to them to make the initial decision to pursue it or not,” Wagner said. “In this type of situation, we have no choice because of safety issues. If something else happened and we hadn’t done anything, it would be a miscarriage of justice.”

Assault-family violence is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $4,000 and up to one year in county jail.

In two separate incidents in December and January, Mathis was given seven citations for allowing animals to run at large and for harboring unvaccinated animals.

In December, Mathis was given four citations after his adult pit bull chased a woman into her apartment in the 3800 block of CR 94 near Manvel and sent another couple onto the roof of a car to escape. He receive three citations in January for the pit bull and puppies being out in the same area again. No threatening behavior was noted in the January incident.

Mathis, a wide receiver and kick returner, has been with the Texans since 2005. He was on the team’s injured reserve list and not on the active roster this season.

The police report says Mathis is 6'1" 195, NFL network lists him at 5'11", 184, which is it? Lol.

Absolutely deplorable act, if true, but I find it interesting how the article mentions the height and weight of both he and his girlfriend and the police report has him taller and heavier than he is.

I mean, the act itself is big enough. It seems the writer (and maybe police report) was trying to make Mathis seem bigger to heighten the effect. Not really needed. Choking the prego girlfriend over a cell phone charger is enough of a story already.

Holy crap.

No joke, but in Madden 2003, I always traded for Laveranues Coles. Next year, boom, Dan Snyder gets Coles.

Just these past few months in Madden 2008, after simulating the offseason over and over (using a premade franchise file from football-freaks.com), I always ended up signing Jerome Mathis.

I never bothered with franchise mode for the Maddens in between as I was too busy with college them. Hmmm....

This year was the first that I discovered a third-party utility for Madden 2008 that produces more realistic drafts using an imported draft class... I've simulated many times and ended up with several different results (Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Phillip Merling, Calais Campbell, etc.) but the two constants in all my drafts seem to be Brandon Albert and Steve Justice. Let's see what happens...

Anyone else reporting this other than the NFL network? Can't seem to find diddly-squat anywhere on the net, shrugs. :whoknows:

If it's as the OP reported, then as an athlete, a good pick up, part. in the return game. But as an individual..... ? Pretty damning verdicts on the Houston boards there..... but hey, if this is so, welcome to DC Jerome. What's past is past. Remember your responsibilities to the burgundy and gold and we'll get along just dandy. If your good enough a guy for the Z-Man, your good enough for us.

Hail.

Archived