Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wr/Kr Jerome Mathis to the Redskins...

skins84

OK, so he may be charged with a misdemeanor assault... but the girlfriend who he apparently assaulted isn't pressing charges. He has pit bulls... big deal. He and like every other idiot NFL player... pit bulls should basically be put down, or there should be restrictions on who can actually own the dogs.

I don't see anything in his record that would actually warrant us not taking a flier on the guy. He has speed, but maybe he needs a new environment. At least it is cheap NFL competition instead of our guys going up against UDFAs every year.

This is a nice pick up. He didnt cost anything, and the guy is a damn good return man. Probably an upgrade over ARE and/or Rock, depending on how we use him.

And even if we cut him in camp, its not like we lose anything.

Things are getting a little crowded at WR though. Moss, ARE, Thrash, Mix, Mathis... and I'm sure we take at least one WR in the draft.

Jerome Mathis? Jerome Mathis?:( I don't get it. I don't like it. True he's a burner no question. But he's been injured alot something we should be wary of. He's only caught 6 passes in 3 years.

Some say he'll return punts....but.....

Career punt returns: 12 for 68 yards for a whopping 5.7 avg.

As kick returner he's slightly better then Rock who we resigned already and is seldom injured. Behind Rock we also have Betts a quality kick returner in his own right, and we also have Thrash who is a decent kick and a more proven punt returner then Mathis.

Then there's his recent legal issues. Hmmn.....I don't get it. I hope we got him cheap, real dirt cheap.

I hope i'm proven wrong.

Who knows maybe it will work i guess.:2cents:

OK, so he may be charged with a misdemeanor assault... but the girlfriend who he apparently assaulted isn't pressing charges. He has pit bulls... big deal. He and like every other idiot NFL player... pit bulls should basically be put down, or there should be restrictions on who can actually own the dogs.

I don't see anything in his record that would actually warrant us not taking a flier on the guy. He has speed, but maybe he needs a new environment. At least it is cheap NFL competition instead of our guys going up against UDFAs every year.

:applause: Great Post. Keep an open mind.

He may not have had the best upbringing, he got a ton of cash thrown into his face in the NFL, he was young, and probably stupid.

While I don't condone his acts, I believe everyone has something they probably aren't proud of.

When I was 18, I got a dui. No accident, no injuries, but I realize that it was stupid.

Even still, 20 years later, I can understand why someone may think less of me because of that fact.

Give the guy a chance. Let's not be so quick to judge.

:logo:

He has pit bulls... big deal. He and like every other idiot NFL player... pit bulls should basically be put down, or there should be restrictions on who can actually own the dogs.

You are completely wrong on the first point and completely right on the second.

Pit Bulls should be "put down"?

There's nothing wrong with Pit Bulls, my sister while not owning a pit bull does own a rottweiller and the dog is a saint. This is of course because she treats him you know like any normal person treats a pet and not like these dip ****s who view these animals as nothing but property and treat them as such.

Totally agree that there should be restrictions but those retrictions should be extended to any animal.

Off the soapbox and as to this particular signing, 3 touchdowns on kickoff returns already is very impressive but the guy beat up his pregnant girlfriend. I don't want a guy like this on my team. So I'm not happy about the signing but I guess if he stays clean and has no further incidents I'll keep my mouth shut and hope for the best.

Jerome Mathis has potential - But, the key to his success as a Skin is going to be his physical conditioning. If he can stay healthy, the Skins may have a potent KR/PR. Someone who has good speed, and has the talent to take it to the house often.

Wish him the best!

But, we still need a BIG WR!

For some reason I think A.R.E. is going to get traded along with a 3rd Rd pick to the Bengal's for Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco). Just a strange pick-up unless we were going to lose one of the Smurfs, and Santana is not going any where, Rock is are returner. Something is up...............................

I am not remotely in favor of this move. We don't need to throw away our moral standing, particularly for a marginal player. And to boot, Vinny snuck this out the door Friday evening so no one would notice. What a poor first impression to make with Vinny in the driver's seat and Gibbs out the door.

I am not remotely in favor of this move. We don't need to throw away our moral standing, particularly for a marginal player. And to boot, Vinny snuck this out the door Friday evening so no one would notice. What a poor first impression to make with Vinny in the driver's seat and Gibbs out the door.

I think in fairness you're over-reacting a tad. If we were working on a deal for PacMan okay. But I don't think this compares.

Omelette and Park City Skins like this signing, and that is all that matters. ;)

post a link please

wow...just wow

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/04/redskins-go-turd-collecting/

REDSKINS GO TURD COLLECTING

Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2008, 9:58 p.m.

The Washington Redskins signed their first free agent who didn’t play in 2007 with the Washington Redskins.

The new player is receiver Jerome Mathis, a three-year member of the Houston Texans who didn’t receive a restricted free agent tender after being arrested for assaulting his pregnant girlfriend in February. (Charges have since been dropped, primarily because the alleged victim moved out of state and asked for the charges to be dropped.)

Hey, Redskins — why didn’t you just make a waiver claim for Chris Henry?

The Washington Times points out that the team waited until 7:00 p.m. on Friday to send out a release announcing the move, which apparently was aimed at avoiding unnecessary scrutiny of the decision.

As one media source told us, “No way they bring this guy on when [Joe] Gibbs was in charge.”

What he may be able to contribute to the pr game is nice and all...but I can't get past a dude that would choke a pregnant woman. I know details of those disputes get muddied...who did what, if the victim lied, etc. but anyway. oh well. we'll see what happens.

Yeah, the very fabric of morality is going to fall apart because of one player. :rolleyes:

A poor first impression? I guess re-signing our own players and showing restraint on more expensive but mediocre free agents isn't a first impression.

And I guess if you are so against Mathis because of his incident with dogs then you can't lament us not re-signing Antonio Pierce cuz of his recent issues with dogs.

Dude is only 24, he's going to make mistakes, and he isn't the first one to get in trouble over pitbulls, and he certainly won't be the last. I honestly don't see how letting pitbulls run around makes him a bad person. The wife thing is not good, but we don't even know the whole side of that story. The report didn't mention any physical evidence such as marks around the neck, and the wife dropped the charges. The whole thing could be overblown for all we know.

Hopefully being here will straighten him out a bit, but I don't think it is as bad as it sounds, especially since dude is a low profile player. That PFT barb about Chris Henry is bull too, Mathis doesn't have the rap sheet that Henry does. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Mathis, and while his offenses certainly aren't ideal, it could be a lot worse. I'm not happy about the issues, but at the same time I'm not worried a kick returner is going to destroy the team.

Archived