Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wr/Kr Jerome Mathis to the Redskins...

skins84

Yeah, the very fabric of morality is going to fall apart because of one player. :rolleyes:

When you sign a morally questionable player with marginal talent to a team that has gone out of its way to set high moral standards right after the leader of said team retires, it sends a message and sets a tone. Your eye rolling is ridiculous.

A poor first impression? I guess re-signing our own players and showing restraint on more expensive but mediocre free agents isn't a first impression.

Newsflash, he's the first free agent acquisition we've made all offseason. Hell yes it's a first impression, and it's a poor one.

And I guess if you are so against Mathis because of his incident with dogs then you can't lament us not re-signing Antonio Pierce cuz of his recent issues with dogs.

What does AP have to do with this, and what have I ever said about AP and dogs? When have I ever expressed an opinion on AP's actions? Furthermore, when did I restrict my comments to his issues with animals? Stop rambling.

Dude is only 24, he's going to make mistakes, and he isn't the first one to get in trouble over pitbulls, and he certainly won't be the last. I honestly don't see how letting pitbulls run around makes him a bad person. The wife thing is not good, but we don't even know the whole side of that story. The report didn't mention any physical evidence such as marks around the neck, and the wife dropped the charges. The whole thing could be overblown for all we know.

So basically, you're just ranting about some passionate personal belief you have about pitbulls. Great. Have fun with that in the Tailgate.

Hopefully being here will straighten him out a bit, but I don't think it is as bad as it sounds, especially since dude is a low profile player. That PFT barb about Chris Henry is bull too, Mathis doesn't have the rap sheet that Henry does. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Mathis, and while his offenses certainly aren't ideal, it could be a lot worse. I'm not happy about the issues, but at the same time I'm not worried a kick returner is going to destroy the team.

Why would it be any better or worse than it sounds? He is what he is, and no one on the Texans boards thinks highly of him, which should tell you something. They were happy to see him leave.

Incidentally, since when do we save player acquisition announcements for 7:00 Friday Evening? It's essentially a tacit admission that the team is embarrassed by the move. It's straight out of the Bush Administration PR handbook (not turning this into a political thread, just noting that it's common practice to bury bad news while heading into the weekend to avoid the news cycle..

Personal issues aside, it's hard to argue with signing a 24 year old...Pro Bowler with 3 KR's for TD's in 17 career games... with 4.3 speed...who is from the area...for the veteran's minimum...plus incentives!

:applause::applause:

After reading about his character issues I'd rather have Thrash for another year...

Who doesn't have a spat with a loved one - when you are angry you tend to say and do things and only later realize what you did was kinda a stupid. Being human is having character issues. This doesn't mean he is a BAD player on the field.

The FO is obviously are trying to look beyond this and we should do the same thing. If he continues to have these so called "character" issues off the field I am sure the FO won't hesitate to let him go.

Let's just give the guy a chance and see what he can do before we put him on the grill.

Personal issues aside, it's hard to argue with signing a 24 year old...Pro Bowler with 3 KR's for TD's in 17 career games... with 4.3 speed...who is from the area...for the veteran's minimum...plus incentives!

Meanwhile, his own team didn't want to retain him, and he's been sitting on the market for over a month. He's been constantly injured, and guess what, personal issues included, he seems like a complete schmuck.

In two separate incidents in December and January, Mathis was given seven citations for allowing animals to run at large and for harboring unvaccinated animals.

In December, Mathis was given four citations after his adult pit bull chased a woman into her apartment in the 3800 block of CR 94 near Manvel and sent another couple onto the roof of a car to escape. He receive three citations in January for the pit bull and puppies being out in the same area again. No threatening behavior was noted in the January incident.

I'm not sure how good a football player he is...

but he's clearly a moron...

Do we really need this?

When you sign a morally questionable player with marginal talent to a team that has gone out of its way to set high moral standards right after the leader of said team retires, it sends a message and sets a tone. Your eye rolling is ridiculous.

Newsflash, he's the first free agent acquisition we've made all offseason. Hell yes it's a first impression, and it's a poor one.

What does AP have to do with this, and what have I ever said about AP and dogs? When have I ever expressed an opinion on AP's actions? Furthermore, when did I restrict my comments to his issues with animals? Stop rambling.

So basically, you're just ranting about some passionate personal belief you have about pitbulls. Great. Have fun with that in the Tailgate.

Why would it be any better or worse than it sounds? He is what he is, and no one on the Texans boards thinks highly of him, which should tell you something. They were happy to see him leave.

No, you're overdramatics are ridiculous. A team that went out of it's way with morality didn't hesitate in bringing over a malcontent like Lloyd. I hate bringing this up, but Mr. Taylor had legal troubles too, also dealing with assault. It's not the exact same, but Sean did have a 2 incident history and was misperceived by many as a result.

Newsflash, he isn't the first FA aquisition, though he is the first from another team.

How am I rambling, I simply drew a comparison on them both having dog-related offenses, and Ipointed it out cuz people on here still can't stop harping about how we should have kept Pierce. I used the example to show that a lot of the fans aren't entirely consumed with the moral issues of players in this case. I guess I should have been a little more clear on that.

What personal belief about pitbulls? Don't cry to me about putting words in your mouth if you are going to do the same. I was trying to put his offenses into context, but instead you'd rather just skip over that since it doesn't fit your argument and say something silly like it should be in the Tailgate.

Oh no, people on the Texans board said that? Oh man, I really care what they have to say. Please. The only reason you resorted to them is cuz they agree with you.

Like I said, and you conveniently ignored, his situation isn't ideal. However at the same time I don't believe a kick returner is going to tear the team apart. The wife dropped the charges, so far all we know the situation was simply overblown. I'm not so willing to completely dismiss Mathis, I want to see if he can change, maybe you should try it too instead of going off the deep end.

Incidentally, since when do we save player acquisition announcements for 7:00 Friday Evening? It's essentially a tacit admission that the team is embarrassed by the move. It's straight out of the Bush Administration PR handbook (not turning this into a political thread, just noting that it's common practice to bury bad news while heading into the weekend to avoid the news cycle..

When did we announce Zorn as HC?

Pretty sure the Zorn hiring was announced on a Friday evening. With the Skins dislike of the Washington media it could simply be just a way of sticking it to them. And for all we know the guy will just be camp fodder anyway.

hmmm.... wasn't feeling you on yhis at first. but it is something to consider

this move still makes no sense to me, only way it seems to make sense is if we are working on a trade. but then again it could just mean that Thrash is gone post june 1st :confused:

It is unusual I won't deny it. I guess they felt they needed help in the return game, and also wanted someone cheap who could fill in for ARE or Moss in case of injuries. Then again the guy could simply be camp fodder for all we know. Remember we did sign Todd Pinkston at one point who wound up being camp fodder.

Yea, ok.:doh: I mean, reading the description of what happened, who knows WHAT REALLY happened? As you may or may not know, arguments have 3 sides - "her side", "his side" and "the truth". What is this "one and done" in the Mistake Department (assuming this was even his fault or reported acurately). And besides, what, exactly, IS a "Redskins move"?

this move still makes no sense to me, only way it seems to make sense is if we are working on a trade. but then again it could just mean that Thrash is gone post june 1st :confused:

Decent chance it's the latter, imo.

I wouldn't mind a receiving corp. of Moss, El, Mix, Mathis, and either Devin Thomas, James Hardy, or Jordy Nelson one bit.

Ok, working backwards, I agree that Thrash is a good shot for being gone post June 1. I'm not in your head, so I can't say why this move doesn't make sense to you, but 1) it only cost "us" Dan Snyder's money. 2) Mathis was a Pro-Bowler his rookie year OUT OF HAMPTON UNIVERSITY (not even a "Mid Major". It's only been Division like 5 years or so). 3) 4.3 speed 4) See #'s 1-3

I'm super cool with the move. I applaud it.

Who doesn't have a spat with a loved one

:laugh:...Pushing your pregnant "loved one" onto the bed, sitting on her and then choking her is considered a "spat", hun?....Ok. :)

when you are angry you tend to say and do things and only later realize what you did was kinda a stupid. Being human is having character issues. This doesn't mean he is a BAD player on the field.

The FO is obviously are trying to look beyond this and we should do the same thing. If he continues to have these so called "character" issues off the field I am sure the FO won't hesitate to let him go.

Let's just give the guy a chance and see what he can do before we put him on the grill.

My point was, when you have an player with outstanding character, fantastic work ethics, and from all reports is as decent a human being as there is on your team, it's a bit sad that some of us fans would be so eager to toss him aside for a guy with multiple legal troubles all occurring over the past 4 months...all because he can run a 4.3 40 yard dash.

If Thrash could not contribute anymore, that would be one thing. But his two TD game against the Eagles last year (he was the first wr to catch a TD pass for the Skins), coupled with his punt return against the Lions, added on to his always-stellar ST play...should show that he has something left in the tank yet.

Archived