Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis 15 pounds lighter?? (merged)

GOSKN5

I think CP plays to hard and violent to be lighter. I cant see how being lighter would reduce injury's. That will make him even lighter than Rock. I know they say on rocks profile that he is heavier than CP but I saw both in person and there is no way. The extra pounds help for blocking aswell.

He showed up here originally at his natural playing weight. He played in an offense in Denver that got him to the second level alot, rather than expecting him to be a bruiser, and he had the speed to make people pay.

Gibbs messed up in asking him to bulk up, to try to be a bruising back, something he is not, a terrible coaching mistake, an abominable misuse of such a talent. Give Clinton credit for not acting like Chad Johnson, etc. The noted loss in elusiveness, though certainly tied to scheme, blocking, etc., can also be attributed to weight gain.

In losing weight, he is probably going back to the body he is most natural with, and more importantly, is probably doing so in anticipation of a scheme that uses him properly.

I think he could have a monster year.

I agree strongly with most of this, except for the "terrible coaching mistake, an abominable misuse of ... talent" part. Portis was not a bruiser under Gibbs, nor did Gibbs ask him to be. Did Portis bulk up and take more contact here? Sure. But even then, he was toward the middle of the scatback-bruiser specturm. Although Portis's numbers might've looked better if he wasn't asked to change, I don't think that would've been better for the offense as a whole; our offensive line wasn't built to operate like Denver's. Asking one guy (Portis) to adjust is much easier than asking five. Furthermore, I think Gibbs saw something in Portis that indicated that he could become an effective "all-around" back, who could be in-between a "scatback" and a "bruiser"...and I think he did become so. He improved as a blocker and learned how to run harder, while still maintaining a decent amount of the speed and quickness that helped him succeed in Denver. Frankly, I don't think there are a lot of backs that would've done better here, and I'm almost certain that the number of backs who are that versatile are rare.

:laugh: Seriously! I just put myself on a diet this week...I bet Portis was able to lose it faster than I will!

:laugh: Keep in mind that Portis probably has it easier; he's dropping pounds that he had to work to gain and keep.

I always thought that more weight meant more durability and less injuries. I could be wrong though. However, I am happy to hear this news. He wont have to be as bulky in Zorn's offense and will hopefully be able to break more big ones like he did back in Denver.
Wait a minute...being lighter will reduce injuries? Seems like the opposite would be true.

I think the idea is that he'll regain a little quickness, allowing him to avoid contact more effectively. However, I think the real key to his durability is convincing Zorn to limit his carries to 20 or fewer each game.

Awesome links!!! (Courtesy of Football Outsiders and Pro Football Reference...)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2004/07/25/ramblings/stat-analysis/236/

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/01/01/ramblings/stat-analysis/4764/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=328

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=330

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=483

I'm looking for big things from CP. He can really explode in a WCO if used properly.

Back in Denver, he was Adrian Peterson before Adrian Peterson as a stud young RB. If you extrapolate his averages from when he took over in Denver for those 2 years you get:

Denver avg. for 16-game season: 1809 rush yds, 5.5 ypc, 402 rec yds (2211 yds from scrimmage), and 18 TDs ;)

I dont know who posted it earlier, but if we can put Portis into a position and role that Westbrook has in Philly then he will explode.

No more time waiting for pulling guards and tackles, screen pass and toss sweeps to get him in space. Sean Alexander didnt really ever pound the ball, i dont know how much Zorn is going to copy Holmgren, but Reid and Holmgren are apples from the same tree. I really think not being so deliberate about when we run is going to open things up for CP.

I am so pumped for football, and its so far

The main idea for going back to his lighter playing weight is to reduce stress on his knees. The extra 20lbs was supposed to be a factor in his knee tendonitis. He should be more elusive. But, the Skins still envision him as a blocker in the backfield. The extra weight helped him in blocking.

If the Skins can go back to the zone blocking that was so effective for Betts I think Portis will really thrive. Portis is a versatile back but "gut and power" take a toll on a light RB.

I think the weight loss is a good thing, and hopefully he can have a great season under Coach Zorn's new scheme.

I just want the man to stay on his FEET through a hole !

I love CP to death, but sometimes his agility with his feet is somewhat questionable.

HTTR

Im not surprised. He expects there to be less need to be a "bruising" back, and for there to be more need for him to be quicker to holes. Zorn isnt going to have a running game like Gibbs.

He will still have all the same running plays and terminology. There will be differences in which plays are called when and the balance in the types of running plays, but Zorn is smart to keep the terminology and the overall play design.

Im not surprised. He expects there to be less need to be a "bruising" back, and for there to be more need for him to be quicker to holes. Zorn isnt going to have a running game like Gibbs.

Actually it's going to be really similar.

I think that the loss of the weight will make him quicker, but I think that it will also take away form his ability to stay healthy due to the fact that he will have less body mass to protect himself.

Actually Clayton noted that the main reason CP lost the weight was to make himself less injury prone and stay healthy.

Dont every doen back in the nfl loose weight anyway from extensive play.. the guy can actually loose 15 pounds in a season just from constant running. I am sure it'll make him quicker which fits the west coast O better... i just hope he can take the pounding and stay healthy.

Archived