Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis 15 pounds lighter?? (merged)

GOSKN5

Anyone just see Clayton report that CP showed up for workouts 15 pounds lighter than last year?

He said this would help him reduce injuries and increase speed... anyone think this is a sign for the Zorn offense where Portis is more ellusive?

Hopefully he will get some moves in the open field to rip off some big gainers this year....

His best season with us was when he bulked up, when he wore opponents down late in the season, hence his last 5 games in the 05-06 season.

The next season he lost some weight for the Saunders offense and got hurt in preseason.

I like the bulk better regardless of the offense, but he knows whats best for him so i'll swallow my tongue and wait to see the product.

He could weigh 150 lbs and still run with more power than Betts anyways.

What weight loss?

The weight loss reported on ESPN and in the thread over here...

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242851

The next season he lost some weight for the Saunders offense and got hurt in preseason.

Come on. That was tackling someone off of Brunell's interception, and it was one heck of a wacky tackle. Didn't he essentially horse collar the guy high and slam him into the ground? I'm probably remembering that with Skins colored glasses, but do recall it being a heck of a hard tackle.

I don't know that weight-gain/loss does much to prevent throwing out your shoulder doing that.

I like it, I have always felt that Portis' strengths did not play 100% into the Gibbs offense, but thanks to tweaking on both Gibbs/Saunders and Portis' ends , it worked out decently.

This is shaping up to be a different and fun year for us Redskins fans and the redskins offense, hopefully thats a good thing.

The weight loss reported on ESPN and in the thread over here...

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242851

Come on. That was tackling someone off of Brunell's interception, and it was one heck of a wacky tackle. Didn't he essentially horse collar the guy high and slam him into the ground? I'm probably remembering that with Skins colored glasses, but do recall it being a heck of a hard tackle.

I don't know that weight-gain/loss does much to prevent throwing out your shoulder doing that.

It wasnt a horse collar, but it was a hell of a hard tackle.

But like i said later in the post, Portis knows what's best for his body, I dont doubt him for one second.

He showed up here originally at his natural playing weight. He played in an offense in Denver that got him to the second level alot, rather than expecting him to be a bruiser, and he had the speed to make people pay.

Gibbs messed up in asking him to bulk up, to try to be a bruising back, something he is not, a terrible coaching mistake, an abominable misuse of such a talent. Give Clinton credit for not acting like Chad Johnson, etc. The noted loss in elusiveness, though certainly tied to scheme, blocking, etc., can also be attributed to weight gain.

In losing weight, he is probably going back to the body he is most natural with, and more importantly, is probably doing so in anticipation of a scheme that uses him properly.

I think he could have a monster year.

He showed up here originally at his natural playing weight. He played in an offense in Denver that got him to the second level alot, rather than expecting him to be a bruiser, and he had the speed to make people pay.

Gibbs messed up in asking him to bulk up, to try to be a bruising back, something he is not, a terrible coaching mistake, an abominable misuse of such a talent. Give Clinton credit for not acting like Chad Johnson, etc. The noted loss in elusiveness, though certainly tied to scheme, blocking, etc., can also be attributed to weight gain.

In losing weight, he is probably going back to the body he is most natural with, and more importantly, is probably doing so in anticipation of a scheme that uses him properly.

I think he could have a monster year.

That's beautiful sir. :cheers:

It wasnt a horse collar, but it was a hell of a hard tackle.

But like i said later in the post, Portis knows what's best for his body, I dont doubt him for one second.

Yeah, he knows what's best except for how to play less than 100%. But then I like that.

(Also really enjoyed his interview when he talked about how you can't play harder than 100%...)

Archived