Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis 15 pounds lighter?? (merged)

GOSKN5

I'm all for it. There were a few plays last year I thought he could have broke all the way but was caught from behind. I remember CP getting up and slamming the ball inbetween his hands knowing he was a step away from breaking it all the way. I would like to say the Giants game at home. Besides, maybe he's doing it for ST. Knowing how Taylor was always running (I have a feeling some will roll their eyes with the last comment) sry.

I dont think the running game will change much with Zorn....but the passing game will and I think Portis knows that he will be even more involved in it...

he is a good receiver out of the backfield to begin with... just think if he could make another guy miss when he catches the ball..... he could possibly become a Westbrook type player....

ESPN is reporting on Sportscenter that he has lost weight this offseason and he feels like it will help him avoid injury.

I always thought that more weight meant more durability and less injuries. I could be wrong though. However, I am happy to hear this news. He wont have to be as bulky in Zorn's offense and will hopefully be able to break more big ones like he did back in Denver.

Portis is not John Riggins or Earnest Byner who were power rushers for the Redskins. Clinton is a true scatback, something the Redskins have not really had in a long time. A guy who can break a 40-50 yard run at any given time and who is elusive in the open field.

Gibbs tried to fit him into the traditional Redskins rush offense and while he was productive, he was nowhere as productive in MY MIND as he would have been if put in a different system that accentuated getting him the ball to the outside and in the passing game to make big plays.

And big plays were the one ingredient missing consistently from the Redskins offense the past 3-4 years.

I never liked him bulking up...while I'm sure it helped him for what he was asked to do..I don't think that was his natural playing weight that best suit him. He was a monster in Denver..speed/quicks. He's had some great games/moments here..but I think being lighter will definitely be better for this system..and for Portis the athlete.

He showed up here originally at his natural playing weight. He played in an offense in Denver that got him to the second level alot, rather than expecting him to be a bruiser, and he had the speed to make people pay.

Gibbs messed up in asking him to bulk up, to try to be a bruising back, something he is not, a terrible coaching mistake, an abominable misuse of such a talent. Give Clinton credit for not acting like Chad Johnson, etc. The noted loss in elusiveness, though certainly tied to scheme, blocking, etc., can also be attributed to weight gain.

In losing weight, he is probably going back to the body he is most natural with, and more importantly, is probably doing so in anticipation of a scheme that uses him properly.

I think he could have a monster year.

Agree 1000%. It pains me to admit it but I think Gibbs' mistake was apparent after Portis' first season here. Portis is at his best when he runs laterally on the stretch plays, picks his own hole and just goes.:movefast:

Though he can play the role reasonably well, he was never, and won't ever be a true power back. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do in an offense more suited to his playing style.

Archived