Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Antidepressants

WVUforREDSKINS

What is your opinion on these drugs?

Why are there so many? There must be over 10 different antidepressants, if not more.

If they are all used the same (SSRI's) why would one work for someone and not the other?

How come person A taking drug x will gain 20lbs, while person B taking drug x will have no appetite at all and lose 20lbs?

And the most outrageous thing is that some of the antidepressants are blamed for people killing themselves:doh: WTF?

Do psychiatrist even know what the hell they are taling about with these drugs or is it all guess work while taking notes?

I ask because someone close to me is on his 6th antidepressant with no real change, maybe slight change for the better.

Diagnoses is anxiety and depression.

As best as I know it.

We have chemicals in our brains. Someone has a chemical imbalance. But we have no way of testing for that imbalance. So we prescribe in trial and error manners in hopes of offsetting that imbalance.

Having spent some time in the Mental Health field I can tell you that there are definite benefits to anti-depressants when they are prescribed correctly. The probelms facing this issue are the doctors who are making money off certain drugs or they are just plain lazy.

If a doctor has been courted by a certain pharmeceutical company, they tend to prescribe that company's drugs. On the other hand some doctors will not take the time to properly diagnose a patient, instead they simply write a prescription. It is just too easy to write a prescription and hope for the best.

The don't fix anything. They are a temporary fix. People who take them are not really dealing with their problems. JMHO

Getting perscribed medication has very little to do with whether that person takes an appropriate approach to their situation. If anything, it's a good sign; it means that they've at least acknowledged that something is wrong, and have talked to someone about it (in order to get the perscription). To me, that is "dealing with it" more appropriately than by doing nothing, which is what some people do. (Of course, "doing nothing" can be part of the illness, which is what makes it so difficult.)

Anecdotally, the person I know who has dealt with depression the best has used medication for a few years. That's not to say that the drugs always work, but it does mean that not everyone one medication is running from their problems.

I'm certain that you didn't mean anything personal, but it was a pretty aggressive -- and probably ignorant -- statement to make. It's probably the first thing that's really made me angry on this board.

Getting perscribed medication has very little to do with whether that person takes an appropriate approach to their situation. If anything, it's a good sign; it means that they've at least acknowledged that something is wrong, and have talked to someone about it (in order to get the perscription). To me, that is "dealing with it" more appropriately than by doing nothing, which is what some people do. (Of course, "doing nothing" can be part of the illness, which is what makes it so difficult.)

Anecdotally, the person I know who has dealt with depression the best has used medication for a few years. That's not to say that the drugs always work, but it does mean that not everyone one medication is running from their problems.

I'm certain that you didn't mean anything personal, but it was a pretty aggressive -- and probably ignorant -- statement to make. It's probably the first thing that's really made me angry on this board.

Maybe that was a little harsh maybe I should have said the drugs are a temporary fix and do not solve the problem :whoknows:

Antidepressants are like any other medicine. For most problems there are multiple possible causes and even for a single cause there are multiple points in the system to attack/prevent it. It is difficult if not impossible to diagnosis exactly what the problem is so different things are tried to find exactly what the issue is. In addition, there are components in the drug other than the "active" ingredient.

I have HBP. It took me three medicines to find one that worked for me. The first didn't lower BP. The second made me break out in sweats. The third works fine. One problem, three different ways to attack it.

My mother in-law has some nerve damage issues. The generic of a drug, for which the active ingredient is supposed to be exactly the same as the name brand drug, does not work for her, but the name brand one does.

In terms of people that say it is not dealing with their issues, etc. In some cases, things like depression are truely linked to brain chemistry issues. In those cases, take medication is as reasonable and logical as me taking my HBP medicine.

Yeah, I have to admit that I get a funny feeling when I see an advertisement on TV for a prescription drug (a practice which I think should be illegal) that says "If you feel down, or low, take this pill. And oh, by the way, it may make you suicidal."

Maybe that was a little harsh maybe I should have said the drugs are a temporary fix and do not solve the problem :whoknows:

Sorry if I jumped on you a little bit...anyway, I think you're probably right that medication isn't sufficient for many folks. I just didn't think it was fair to act like the efficacy of the drugs was somehow tied to the "worthiness" of the person taking them.

Yeah, I have to admit that I get a funny feeling when I see an advertisement on TV for a prescription drug (a practice which I think should be illegal) that says "If you feel down, or low, take this pill. And oh, by the way, it may make you suicidal."

I know what you mean -- I always got a funny feeling when I would see an advertisement on TV for a perscription drug that says, "This is Bob. Looks like it's game night for the boys at Bob's house. And, since Bob has been taking Enzyte for natural male enhancement...." Of course, that's probably because my dad was in the room...

Seriously though, I agree that advertising perscription drugs is a bad idea.

I don't know if you'll get the answers you seek here. I think anti depressants can be helpful to people. I've known some folks that if they weren't on anti depressants they would have long ago called it quits.

I think some work great for some people while the same drug doesn't seem to affect the next person b/c every person's chemistry isn't the same. Some antibiotics work better for some people than others. Some people need higher doses than others in order for them to work. Some ppl are allergic while others are not. Body chemistry is what I think.

I'm not quite sure why some anti depressants can cause some folks to complete the act of suicide. It does happen however. My dad was on Zoloft. Wasn't helping him very much. My mom voiced that to his therapist/doctor, so instead of switching him to something else..they upped his dosage. 2 days later my mom came home to find my dad had taken his own life. She believes the higher dose gave him the courage to do what had been in his mind for quite some time. Don't know if that's what's to blame or not. It was my dad's choice in the end. We are left to live on w/o him. Anti depressants do help more ppl than not imo. I'm glad there's something that can help treat this dreadful illness. If dr's knew more of how the brain works, they could do more to help w/depression. That day is coming I pray.

I don't know if you'll get the answers you seek here. I think anti depressants can be helpful to people. I've known some folks that if they weren't on anti depressants they would have long ago called it quits.

I think some work great for some people while the same drug doesn't seem to affect the next person b/c every person's chemistry isn't the same. Some antibiotics work better for some people than others. Some people need higher doses than others in order for them to work. Some ppl are allergic while others are not. Body chemistry is what I think.

I'm not quite sure why some anti depressants can cause some folks to complete the act of suicide. It does happen however. My dad was on Zoloft. Wasn't helping him very much. My mom voiced that to his therapist/doctor, so instead of switching him to something else..they upped his dosage. 2 days later my mom came home to find my dad had taken his own life. She believes the higher dose gave him the courage to do what had been in his mind for quite some time. Don't know if that's what's to blame or not. It was my dad's choice in the end. We are left to live on w/o him. Anti depressants do help more ppl than not imo. I'm glad there's something that can help treat this dreadful illness. If dr's knew more of how the brain works, they could do more to help w/depression. That day is coming I pray.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope it hasn't been to hard on you. That is what I am worried about, though. He has been to many Pdocs and they seem to just shruged there shoulders and up the dosage. A month later, when it makes no difference they start him on something else and if that doesn't work, they up that dose.

I just dunno about all this............

I think some work great for some people while the same drug doesn't seem to affect the next person b/c every person's chemistry isn't the same.

I'm not quite sure why some anti depressants can cause some folks to complete the act of suicide.

You said it yourself. Differences in how one person would metabolize a drug compared to another person change the drugs action/effectiveness/side effects.

Pharmacogenomics looks at those genetic individualities and it is that which would determine what drug to be on and what dosage. It's still limited information, but it much better than the guessing game involved with SSRIs as to which drug to use and what dosage. (Actually, it's a guessing game with other drugs as well) Sorry to hear about your dad.

You said it yourself. Differences in how one person would metabolize a drug compared to another person change the drugs action/effectiveness/side effects.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope it hasn't been to hard on you. That is what I am worried about, though. He has been to many Pdocs and they seem to just shruged there shoulders and up the dosage. A month later, when it makes no difference they start him on something else and if that doesn't work, they up that dose.

I just dunno about all this............

Thanks for the condolences. I appreciate that.

WVU...Depression is a complex disease mainly b/c physicians just don't have enough knowledge about the brain and how it works. We've only just started to scratch the tip of the iceberg when it comes to research medicine pertaining to the brain. I think they are "guessing" the majority of time.

Is this a friend of yours or a relative? Not that it matters what his relationship is to you. He needs someone to stick by him and look out for his best interest. Does he have someone to go to appointments w/him? If so, that person needs to speak out when things aren't working and make them listen! My mom was taking my dad to his therapist and telling him that the Zoloft wasn't helping that much but the therapist chose to brush what she was saying aside. Often times the therapist thought my mom was exagerrating about my dad's condition. My father hid his depression. He'd walk into that office and say he was fine...he wasn't thinking of hurting himself. Told the therapist he'd never take his own life...ever! At this point he had been on the Zoloft for 8 months w/o improvements. He was also on Xanax for anxiety. Watching him spiral down was like watching a train wreck that was about to happen. We knew something was going to happen but there was nothing we could do about. I believe he ended his life b/c he could no longer hide his depression. It overwhelmed him.

Make sure your friend/relative has someone who can speak for him if need be. I had a co-worker at one time who had tried med after med and nothing seemed to help her. She had been hospitalized many times for depression and suicidal thoughts. The last time I saw her she was doing a little better. Her problem was she didn't want to take her meds. She said they made her feel like she wasn't herself. I think she had suffered from depression for so long that she thought that feeling was who she was. She doesn't remember "feeling normal". So make sure he's taking his meds as well.

Not much else you can do. I hope your friend/relative finds the help he needs and I hope the doctors can find something to help him.

I know most people wiht MS seem to end up on anti-depressants. When i went to my last MS men's group, I was the only one of the 8 of us not on them. I've been lucky. So far, the holes in my brain haven't totally killed the parts regulating the chemistry.

As for the just work out more & address the problems approach, that's great if the problems have a psychological root. The physiologically caused ones often respond less well to the just tough it out approach. Of course it's thinking that we should just tough it out that keeps many who need the drugs from seeking them. Truth of the matter is that we all tend to be rather poor decision makers on these subjects as it requires a huge amount of honest introspection that most of us shun. It's better to get outside oppinions, and trained outside oppinions are better.

I will tell a story about my family's use of prozac. My grandmother is on it, and 2 years ago her doctor told us they didn't want to up her dosage because she would become addicted. We told the doc,"She's 90. If being addicted to something allows to maintain a state of mind other than misery then more power to her." :)

I will also say that 2 common issues I see with people and ADs are 1)They don't take them for long enough or regularly enough for them to take effect and 2)not everybodies' brain chemistry reacts teh same way to the drugs (what works for 1 doesn't work for another, not just a paper chemistry problem). Watching my friend go 6 months without relief from her ADs till she found one that works for her was tough. She's more level now.

Anyway, take all of that for what it's worth coming from somebody who has to contimplate ADs frequently.

Every other person I know is on anti-depressants.

It seems that if any patient does not exhibit the classic symptoms of ____________ (fill in the blank) and is not easily diagnosable, the lazy doctor pulls out the prescription pad and writes for an anti-depressant.

They are waaaay overprescribed IMHO.

They definitely work for the people that have clinical depression from brain chemistry issues.

They definitely do not work for the people who are just depressed because their lives stink and they are too lazy to do anything about it. Frankly, they SHOULD be depressed.

There is a huge difference between those two things.

I used to share the same opinion as most of you that these drugs do more harm than good. Then I suffered a mental breakdown in September of 07, severe anxiety and not suicidal thoughts but just geenral thoughts of bad things. I tried for a month to shake it on my own with no help. I went to see my doctor who prescribed me celexa, more so for anxiety then the latter but it has helped both tremendously. I have days where I forget to take it and feel fine but until he recommends that I stop taking it I will continue. Now celexa is mild from what my doctor tells me, not on the same levels as prozac or zoloft so I can't comment on those but I find that these lilttle pills have helped me piece myself back together, is it a long term solution, not at all, I figure I'll be pulled off of it within the next 6 months. I also believe that my DO took the time to decide which drug was best for me, he spent over an hour talking and examining me before deciding on celexa.

Anti-depressants.....they're bad. The pharmaceutical industry is killing people with these things and they know it. I've had 3 friends get on and off various antidepressants such as Zoloft, Xanax, Effexor etc etc and they only got worse and more unhealthy as time went on. Not only did they look worse, but all these drugs aren't good for a person's liver. All 3 friends have since gotten off of ALL anti-depressants and are doing MUCH better than they were before or during the drugs.

Anti-depressants.....they're bad. The pharmaceutical industry is killing people with these things and they know it. I've had 3 friends get on and off various antidepressants such as Zoloft, Xanax, Effexor etc etc and they only got worse and more unhealthy as time went on. Not only did they look worse, but all these drugs aren't good for a person's liver. All 3 friends have since gotten off of ALL anti-depressants and are doing MUCH better than they were before or during the drugs.

Needless to say, I disagree.

What is your opinion on these drugs?

Why are there so many? There must be over 10 different antidepressants, if not more.

If they are all used the same (SSRI's) why would one work for someone and not the other?

How come person A taking drug x will gain 20lbs, while person B taking drug x will have no appetite at all and lose 20lbs?

And the most outrageous thing is that some of the antidepressants are blamed for people killing themselves:doh: WTF?

Do psychiatrist even know what the hell they are taling about with these drugs or is it all guess work while taking notes?

I ask because someone close to me is on his 6th antidepressant with no real change, maybe slight change for the better.

Diagnoses is anxiety and depression.

Antidepressants are thought to block receptors for seratonin I believe. It allows the chemical to build up in your brain thereby reducing the depression.

Archived