Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationally Speaking, the Redskins are seen as WR oblivion.

C26 Run

Redskin Nation, we have a problem...

In the past two months I've travelled the country on personal and employment business. From Houston to Chicago, radio station after radio station, and from Clayton to Pastabelly, many different personalities have dogged the Redskins. Almost all have said basically that the Redskins are no place for WRs. Chicago thinks they got a steal in Lloyd. :laugh: . Let's be honest here, are the Redskins not a good place for WRs. :helmet:

Redskin Nation, we have a problem...

In the past two months I've travelled the country on personal and employment business. From Houston to Chicago, radio station after radio station, and from Clayton to Pastabelly, many different personalities have dogged the Redskins. Almost all have said basically that the Redskins are no place for WRs. Chicago thinks they got a steal in Lloyd. :laugh: . Let's be honest here, are the Redskins not a good place for WRs. :helmet:

Lloyd suckked in San Fran too.

What, they can't find anything else to pick on so they make stuff up?

Sounds familiar:laugh:.

If someone said that to my face I would just remind them of Art Monk, the smurfs, and THE POSSE!

It's not the Skins' fault that Westbrook and Coles were headcases. Plus Moss just recently set a franchise record in 2005, so maybe those guys should just blow it out their ass!

Yeah, I'd also like to point out that with a West coast offense the WR's will prob. put up higher numbers due to sheer amount of opportunities. I love the Gibbs crew rain or shine like most of you, but Dink and dunk in 06 with Brunell wasn't producing the numbers for WRs and last year til Collins took over every third play was a counter tre... Yea, and BL never had the attitude or work ethic to be a redskin (I'm sorry to those who bought his jersey)

There are times when perception isn't reality. This would be one of those times. Though not in the top echelon where receivers are concerned, the Redskins aren't the "oblivion" mentioned either.

Park City, I agree. I'm just saying that if our WRs don't get any kind of respect they'll just tee off on the running game. :helmet:

Two years ago didn't we have the number 2 receiver in the league??? I think the lack of WR activity is due to a conservative offense rather than a lack of talent. With Zorn in, I anticipate a leap in WR productivity.

:applause:

It's part of the Zornification process.

A few young and talented draft picks would make it even more fun.

Blloyd is now playing on a one year contract that doesn't pay him very well. Mind you, he may not even need it after stealing from Dan Snyder but I think that the pressure is on him to perform. He'll either try very hard (which I think he did in the later part of 07 when he was actually in the game or actually thrown at), or he'll continue to be himself.

Only time will tell on this one.

Personally, I think he'll have a decent year depending on which QB plays.

Park City, I agree. I'm just saying that if our WRs don't get any kind of respect they'll just tee off on the running game. :helmet:

That's fine. Let them. And when those receivers are doing what they're capable of doing (and have demonstrated what they can do in the past), won't be the Redskins problem. :)

Its true. Outside of Santana's breakout year a couple years back, every WR on this team has underachieved. Even Santana since then has struggled. If you look back at WR on this team the past 5 years, you see a lot of guys who had success outside the Redskins, came here, and then did little. In 2003 Coles had a good 1200 yard season with Ramsey as QB. The #2 reciever had 600 yards. That was the last good year a WR core had here. In 2004 our top receiver had 950 yards. In 2005 our top receiver was Moss at 1400 yards. Our #2 receiver had 220. In 2006 our top receiver was on pace for 900 yards, and our #2 reciever was Lloyd. In 2007 our top receiver was on pace for 900 yards again. There just hasnt been much production from the WR core in the past 5 years, and its not because of lack of bringing in succesful WR's from other teams.

But how does this compare to other NFL teams? Is this normal? Lets look at the NFC east. Last year was our best WR year in the past 4. However our top WR only had 790 yards. The Cowboys #3 WR had 700 yards. The Cowboys had two WR with over 1100 yards. The Giants #1 WR had over 1000 yards, and their #2 had 700. Their #3 had below 300. The Eagles #1 WR had over 1100, their #2 had 800, and their #3 and 4 recievers had around 250 each.

I believe this lack of production is because the Redskins for years have devalued the WR position, have focused too heavily on the run, and have put forth schemes that do not put WR's in positions to make plays. The Redskins have been very conservative in their offensive playcalling.

So just what kind of production are we looking for? Obviously if we are so serious about getting a WR its because we think we dont have what we need currently. So what kind of production do we see in the top 10 passing teams in the NFL? Essentially, every good passing team has at least one 1000 yard receiver. Generally this #1 receiver averages about 1100 yards. We have struggled to get this production out of a #1. The #2 receiver on average has about 700-800 yards, depending on the production of the #1. The #3 receiver on average puts up about 400-500 yards, depending on the production of the other two receivers. The top 9 passing teams in the NFL all had a combined yardage of at least 2400 from their top 3 receivers. I cant remember the last time we had that kind of production. So if we are searching out a solid WR core to make this a top 10 passing offense, we need a #1 WR that can produce 1100 yards, a #2 that can put up 800 yards, and a #3 that can put up 500.

Do we have that on the roster? Id submit that we do. Santana Moss(as he is so heavily defended in this thread) is capable of receiving for 1100 yards. That makes him a legitimate #1 WR. Randle El last season had over 700 yards receiving. That makes him a legitimate #2 WR. So really all we are missing at this point is a WR capable of being the #3 receiver and putting up 500 yards. Im of the opinion that with a head coach that finally will emphasize the passing game and a more aggressive offensive philosophy, we will see the talents of our WR's actually being used.

player_s_moss.jpg

santana_moss.jpg

2006-10-01-redskins-in.jpg

What's the problem again? :)

what has he done besides that really? Don't get me wrong i love Santana but he isn't a #1 WR. Never was and never will be. We have excellent #2, #3, #4 and even #5 WRs on this team already, we just need that #1!

Archived