Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato on Redskins Lunch -- Reading Between the lines

Skinsinparadise

The positions he mentioned are positions of need. I hate the idea of going WR in the 1st because it's such a crap shoot but glad to see they're at least talking about using draft picks where they are needed. (DB, OL, WR, DL.)

Thats why at 21 you draft best player available. Even if it is at a position we don't need.

Which is why a guy like Brandon Albert should be a possibility. I've seen him ranked as high as 7th best player overall because he's that good at what he does. If we could get him at #21 it would just be a bonus that we could do with a new stud G now ;)

Which is why a guy like Brandon Albert should be a possibility. I've seen him ranked as high as 7th best player overall because he's that good at what he does. If we could get him at #21 it would just be a bonus that we could do with a new stud G now ;)

I think he will be there. Most mock drafts think so as well. He makes alot of since. We have very old OG and he fits the bill.

I think a team like Miami would be good safe bet too. They may wanna jump in and grab a WR or OL. They also have 2 second round picks, one basically being a 1st since they will have the 32nd selection.

I certainly would not be opposed to trading out of the first round and, like you said, Miami has pick #32 so it's like a first round pick. Take their first pick in the 4th round as well and we could end up with back-to-back picks and the end of round 3 (compensatory pick for Dockery) and the beginning of round 4. That could possibly satisfy the Owen Schmitt mancrush for many on this board and get us some more depth as well.

Sorry guys but I just have to ask...

Does this pic turn anyone off of Malcolm Kelly

lloyd.jpg

I swear they look like twins and they are both rappers.

(Note: I'd still like to have him but i thought i'd ask/share)

They don't look anything alike. Lloyd's a skinny little weasel.

True dat but another 2nd would be ideal but a 3rd might make us have three if we get that compensatory one and then get 2 OL and a DL or some variety.

Lets say that one of the QBs falls and a team who have already picked want to move up to get him and they offer their second and next years first - how would you feel about that?

I'd be all over it.

If I were to read between the lines, him saying that the draft is deep in the 2nd and 3rd rounds for the positions that the Redskins want, means that they will be trading away the first rounder for a veteran.

Ha! could be. Seems though the Bengals are keeping CJ in part out of spite. Maybe Roy Williams or Fitzgerald?

At 21 if they stay there. Looks like there is an average chance at least based on some mock drafts I've been reading that we'd have a shot at:

WR, Limas Sweed -- because of his wrist injury otherwise he'd be likely off the board

CB Aqib Talib -- tall and fast CB with some holes

CB Dominque Cromartie -- good prospect, INT machine

DT: Kentwan Balmer -- pass rushing DT type that Vinny seems to be saying they want

OG Branden Albert -- seems to be going to Pittsburg in most mocks at 23. But seems to be the consensus stud guard

WR James Hardy -- tall 6 by 6 receiver -- I've seen him all over the map in mocks from mid first to mid 2nd.

DE -- Calais Campbell -- discussed a lot on the board, he seems to fall a lot right before us in the draft but you never know.

Also Mike Jenkins CB, Brandon Flowers CB, Devin Thomas WR.

Maybe

DE Philip Merling -- stout against the run and decent pass rusher probably could move inside too like Tuck on some downs. Am starting to see him a lot go 10-20 now.

DR Derrick Harvey similar to Merling but more of a pass rusher and not as stout against the run, but touted as a balanced player

My things aboout O-line is we just cant just draft 1 o-lineman. You not get Multiple Lineman on offense if we need to draft. We also need a Safety and DE.

If we trade down i would like to get 2 first rounders for our 21st pick. 3 picks in the second round would be pretty good

You are a pushover. I wouldn't take less than 4 firsts for our #21. And some cash.

I'm getting a better and better impression of Vinny this offseason. I like that he's considering trading down. That could give us more picks this year or even next year. Imagine if we traded for somebody's first next year and went into that draft with two first rounders.

But I am a bit cautious about what has inspired this. Noting how we're always in salary cap hell at the start of free agency and hypothesizing that maybe Vinny realizes that he can't restructure every player every offseason, maybe we're going to become pretty stingy for the next few years to help out our cap status and then return to our old ways. I know I'm probably overthinking this (I do that a bit), but I hope this doesn't turn into a cyclic type thing, where years of overspending is followed up by years of underspending.

But if I'm wrong, then maybe the years of overspending has taught us a lesson and so from that itself, maybe it was worth it.

I'm getting a better and better impression of Vinny this offseason. I like that he's considering trading down. That could give us more picks this year or even next year. Imagine if we traded for somebody's first next year and went into that draft with two first rounders.

But if I'm wrong, then maybe the years of overspending has taught us a lesson and so from that itself, maybe it was worth it.

I am with you here, I've been critical of the FO. You would figure if things are obvious to us, it would become obvious to them. Maybe they get it now, the draft does matter.

I've never had big issues with FA -- it was those dumb trades where we'd give up draft picks was what would drive me nuts. So for me, I'd love to see them actually value the draft like the rest of the NFL.

I wouldn't take much that he says at face value. Most of what he and pretty much every team will be saying up until draft day will be at least partially a smoke screen. Obviously we have certain needs, but Vinnie isn't going to basically tell other teams what we're going to do on draft day.
:notworthy

Why does that seem so hard to understand?

:notworthy

Why does that seem so hard to understand?

I agree to a point but disagree some too.

Did the Redskins leak that they were interested in Landry pre the last draft heck yeah, I remember Gregg Williams' gushing quote about Landry -- and even Kiper got in on it and said he heard that's the direction the Skins are going in.

Did it get leaked before the draft that the Skins weren't enamored with any of the D lineman with the exception of perhaps Okoye -- yep.

Heck I even recall on JLC blog during the draft that they were targeting HB Blades in the later rounds.

In prior drafts the big "surprise" about the Skins looking to find a way to draft Jason Campbell DID leak out before it happened.

Did it get out that Carlos Rogers was their favorite CB of the three projected in the first round, yep I recall it.

So Vinny and the Skins being master poker players, I am not sure that's true. Now I agree that perhaps on Redskins lunch Cerrato will play things close to the vest but overall things tend to get leaked, they don't seem that great at throwing people off

Let's draft 21 in honor of Sean and not trade it!!!

Lets not, the guy could be a bust and would be forever linked to ST. Trade the pick in honor of Sean. We could have like 9 picks. Didnt the Pats have something like that last year or the year before.

Archived