Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS:Smarter Skins Finally learn their FA Lesson...

COWBOY-KILLA-

When you see a super super long thread, do you  

76 members have voted

1. 1. When you see a super super long thread, do you

• just read the first post and respond ?
    • just read the first page and respond ?
    • just read the last page and respond ?
    • read the whole thing entirely and respond ?
    • do a quick scan through every page and respond ?
    • jump around randomly and respond ?
    • just don't even read it cuz you're too lazy, and just respond to the title ?
    • too lazy to even open it ?
    • other

eight!!!!!!!

Hot Damn, I'm really looking forward to the draft

Me, too. As long as we use those picks WISELY.

Most people know me to be highly critical of Danny and Vinny. But, so far, they seem to be doing things with restraint and have an actual plan in place. So (GULP!), kudos to them -- thus far!

every year we were the joke of the NFL.

Last off-season we signed Fletcher and Smoot. That was joke-worthy? 2000 & 2006, we acted foolishly (that includes the goofy Duckett trade), but I wouldn't say that every year we were the joke of the league. Notice, too, that one of the players we acquired in 2006 (a pick-up for which we were slammed) was Carter, a pick-up lauded (rightfully) by this author. SO, even in a year where we overreached, we came up with a plum.

:laugh:

What did you like most about Calvin Pace, his $22M bonus, or the fact that he's a 3-4 OLB and wouldn't fit the Skins defense?

Calvin Pace wouldn't fit our defense? The guy is more than capable of playing DE in a 43 defense and would be a great addition opposite of Carter. The guy is a heck of a football player with strength and speed. I'd also take Kamerion Wimbley in a cocaine heartbeat also and I'm sure Blache could find a place for him. The only thing I don't like is the money. I would have given him guaranteed money of 16-18 million however without a second thought personally.

Cowboy Killa, great post. But in the title, can you put CBS: Then the title?

I almost missed this great article because I thought it was another thread from someone stating the same opinions that have been floating on this board.

Thanks again for the post.

Bottom line: It's better to be wise than it is to be wealthy. This time when Washington surveyed the landscape it thought it could do better through its six -- soon to be eight -- draft picks than it could in free agency. So it kicked back and, for a change, let everyone else do the spending.

Hail to the Redskins.

This piece about "soon to be, eight draft picks" is the best part. We must be getting some compensatory picks.:)

Calvin Pace wouldn't fit our defense? The guy is more than capable of playing DE in a 43 defense and would be a great addition opposite of Carter. The guy is a heck of a football player with strength and speed.

Pace didn't do anything with AZ when they played the 4-3. Four years is a pretty good enough sample size to see that he just isn't a good fit for the 4-3 scheme. He even said so in a recent interview.

He excelled playing in the 3-4, which is why the Jets picked him up to play in the 3-4.

All it took for us to get a positive PR article was to say we won't be a major player in FA and then follow through with it? Who knew!

As far as us having a "good offseason", I'll keep from making such an assessment until AFTER I see who the FO actually snatch up in free agency and in the draft, and who of our free agents they opt not to resign.

So far, it has been refreshing to not be with the Jets and Oakland who are dropping whopping amounts of guaranteed cash on seemingly mediocre players. You'd think for all the slams we've gotten in the past for making similar moves that these teams would know better. I suppose the worth of their investment will not be known until the season.

People talk and seem exasperated about the Redskins not having cap room, but they need to realize that we are returning all 22 starters on offense and defense, our key special teams players (if cartwright comes back), and our key backups. The Redskins made the playoffs last year and just about everyone will be back. In such circumstances, why is it relevant have cap room?

Also, it's nice to see a sensible article be written about free agency in this day and age. The elite teams of the league have done nothing so far this year--the initial period of free agency is a speculative arms race. Arms racing is exciting I guess, but didn't that kind of mentality almost lead us to the brink of global destruction some odd years ago? For once, the Redskins don't have to worry about feeling a sense of urgency going into the season because we have our coach and team in place. All it takes is to make it to the playoffs and then catch fire like the past three superbowl winners have done.

People talk and seem exasperated about the Redskins not having cap room, but they need to realize that we are returning all 22 starters on offense and defense, our key special teams players (if cartwright comes back), and our key backups. The Redskins made the playoffs last year and just about everyone will be back. In such circumstances, why is it relevant have cap room?

Not to mention 5 or 6 of those guys will be the ACTUAL starters instead of 3rd stringers and walk-ons. Having Thomas, Jansen, Campbell, McIntosh, a healthy Santana, hopefully Rogers, and whoever we draft will be plenty of an upgrade from what we put on the field during our playoff run.

"I would rather celebrate teams like Washington, San Diego, Indianapolis, New England and Green Bay -- clubs that didn't go knee deep into free agency."

Wow, when was the last time we were mentioned in the same sentence as those teams? That right there should shut up all you free agency fiends that are climbing the walls because we aren't active in this bull**** market.

"Bottom line: It's better to be wise than it is to be wealthy. This time when Washington surveyed the landscape it thought it could do better through its six -- soon to be eight -- draft picks than it could in free agency. So it kicked back and, for a change, let everyone else do the spending. Hail to the Redskins."

:D

I also however feel like these teams are putting these incredibly large contracts on the table in anticipation of there being no salary cap in the near future.

That will never happen. There's no way the NFL will have labor issues. Everyone knows the system works. People are stupid, but theres no way they're that stupid.....

Great article, BTW

Archived