Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS:Smarter Skins Finally learn their FA Lesson...

COWBOY-KILLA-

When you see a super super long thread, do you  

76 members have voted

1. 1. When you see a super super long thread, do you

• just read the first post and respond ?
    • just read the first page and respond ?
    • just read the last page and respond ?
    • read the whole thing entirely and respond ?
    • do a quick scan through every page and respond ?
    • jump around randomly and respond ?
    • just don't even read it cuz you're too lazy, and just respond to the title ?
    • too lazy to even open it ?
    • other

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Loved the article...REALLY loved this part:

"The 49ers paid defensive end Justin Smith $16.75 million in guaranteed money. He had two sacks last year as an end in a 4-3 defense.

The 49ers play a 3-4.

I mention that because the 49ers let Andre Carter walk two years ago when they decided he couldn't play the 3-4. So he went to Washington and produced 10.5 sacks last year in ... yep, you got it ... the 4-3. "

Yep. This makes me feel very good. We're finally smartening up.

Great story.

And to expand on it, this article assumes that we are going to do things through the draft like the successful teams in the NFL are doing. And if that be the case, we will have a 6-10 season because we have too many holes to fill that the draft can't take care of.

Great, great story.

Some of my esteemed and far more knowledable compatriots in this site have made some extraordinary claims over the last two weeks, this article says it all, the FO sat on its wallets, we saved money created confusion in the media and no doubt the NFL in general, a quiet off season is very good it shows that someone is planning something not just shooting from the hip. Coach Z, has this franchise by the short and curleys, he has restrained DS from using his cheque book, he wants players who are going to perform, not just turn up and get paid: this franchise has turned a corner that should have been turned a long time ago. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE, and at the moment the skins are being patient and the league is wondering what we are planning.

Coach Z has already made a mark on the skins, and I feel that there are lots more to come.

maybe nine. One guy's predicting two seventh round picks.

Yea, well, not to rain on yours and a lot of peoples parade but, a 7th round comp. pick is essentially an unrestricted rookie FA. Yea, its nice to have first dibs on a guy, but come on. I do hope that we get that 3rd round comp pick though, that would be a big deal. :2cents:

For once the Redskins are REAL off-season champs.

I like this new approach. It's too bad it took the team this long to figure it out:laugh:.

Some of us had this pegged a few years ago;).

everything happens for a reason. If we had listened to you a few years ago, this team wouldnt look the same today. ;)

For once the Redskins are REAL off-season champs.

I like this new approach. It's too bad it took the team this long to figure it out:laugh:.

I agree. I wish we had started a long time ago being more conservative with the turnover rate for players, building chemistry and adding young players for the long-term...

Its not even a new approach really. The Redskins were dominant this way in the past. We can repeat their success if we just keep our FA gambles to a minimum, and stick to building with youth.

This is SO crazy! Eight picks, and no big name free agency signings! I wouldnt mind one or two guys, but if we have a solid draft and get a bunch of young guys that can learn and grow for years under Zorn I will be very happy

Nice article but I still have my doubts. I think in a way we were forced to learn our lesson because we don't have the cap space to pursue any big name free agent.

To a small extent our silence has been cap driven but its not the main driver. We are just over $8M under the cap at the moment with a couple million more space from cutting LLoyd hitting the books after June 1.

If we wanted to do we could sign an Asante Samuel type deal and fit it in our cap.

The other thing I took from that article was the bit about looking for players who have a history with the coaching staff. DJ Hackett???

I have read Clark Judge's articles for a few years. He is normally fair and precise in what he says and does generally know what he is talking about. He is one of those guys who tells it like it is, without the sugar coating. He was one of the most critical reporters of our lavish spending sprees a few years ago, and with good reason in hindsight. He is one of the few journo's who I take time to listen to when he writes a column and I respect him more for it. It is a good article without any real bias.

I would like to see us do something in Free Agency this year however because we can probably still pick up some cheap veterans as the prices are falling. However with 7 draft picks I think April is going to be an exciting month.

I agree 100%. If there is no reason to go after a FA, then don't do it. So far, there has been no one available that makes me want to give up a draft pick and/or break the bank to sign.

If CJ or Roy Williams was available, then it would be worth a look.

I am bothered that it now sounds like the test for a FA is if someone on the staff has worked with the player in a prior life.

Archived