Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republicans decry use of 'Hussein' in Obama's name

#98QBKiller

I say props to the RNC for stepping up and showing some class. And props to McCain for showing some class too. :applause:

While there's nothing wrong with using Obama's middle name, some conservatives and conservative pundits are using it in a context to give the impression that he is somehow connected and loyal to the Muslim world in an attempt to spread misinformation to dumb voters.

Republicans decry use of 'Hussein' in Obama's name

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/28/tennessee.gop/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan formally denounced on Thursday the Tennessee Republican Party's use of Barack Obama's full name in a recent news release questioning the Illinois senator's commitment to Israel.

"The RNC rejects these kinds of campaign tactics," Duncan said in a statement. "We believe this election needs to be about the critical issues confronting our nation."

The statement in question, which was released Monday, said the state party is joining a "growing chorus of Americans concerned about the future of the nation of Israel ... if Sen. Barack Hussein Obama is elected president of the United States."

It also included a photograph of Obama from a 2006 trip to Kenya, in which he is dressed in traditional attire.

The news release was sparked by recent praise for the senator from Nation of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan, who has made derogatory remarks about Judaism and has indicated his support for Obama.

At Tuesday night's MSNBC debate, Obama said he denounced those comments and did not seek Farrakhan's support.

On Wednesday night, the party removed both the photo and the reference of "Hussein" from the statement after Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander called to express his belief that using them had become a distraction, Tennessee GOP Communications Director Bill Hobbs said.

The news release now includes a clarification that reads, "This release originally referenced a photo of Sen. Obama and incorrectly termed it to be 'Muslim' garb. It is, in fact, Somali tribal garb, hence, we have deleted the photo. Also, in order to diffuse attempts by Democrats and the Left to divert attention from the main point of this release -- that Sen. Obama has surrounded himself with advisers and received endorsements from people who are anti-Semitic and anti-Israel -- we have deleted the use of Barack Obama's middle name."

Hobbs said Thursday that the party will no longer use Obama's middle name in news releases.

"We're not going to be using the middle name now, because apparently, it's become a distraction," he said. "But I would note, not too long ago, I saw a wire story out of the Middle East that talked about how a lot of people there are hungry for Obama to win and, in part, because his middle name gives him a connection, and that story used his middle name, so we're not the first people to notice and use his middle name."

Hobbs denied that the use of Obama's full name carried any racial overtones but said he wasn't surprised the statement has caused such an uproar.

"The left always finds something to pick at other than to describe the issues; we're not surprised at all."

The news release, however, drew a sharp rebuke Wednesday from Tennessee Democratic Party Chairman Gray Sasser, who said it "amplifies misinformation, discredited tall tales and Internet innuendo to appeal to the worst in people."

Though it was issued Monday, the release came under fresh scrutiny Wednesday after conservative talk radio host Bill Cunningham repeatedly used Obama's full name at a John McCain campaign event in Cincinnati, Ohio, while describing Obama as a "hack Chicago-style Daley politician" who had yet to be challenged by the media.

And McCain, who on Tuesday denounced Cunningham's remarks, also indicated Wednesday evening that he disapproved of the news release.

"This will be a respectful debate," the Arizona senator said in San Antonio. "I have pledged if I am able to secure the nomination of my party, it will be a respectful debate; I will continue to treat Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama with respect, just as I have treated my primary opponents with great respect."

"The RNC rejects these kinds of campaign tactics," Duncan said in a statement.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK Leopard, change your spots.

OK, I'll agree and say "props" for now, but lets see more than words. I'll be interested to see what nifty tricks come out in the general election.

I wonder if this means they will just leave his name alone, or they also mean that no more hanging chads, hidden ballot boxes, swift boat type smears, etc.

~Bang

The news release, however, drew a sharp rebuke Wednesday from Tennessee Democratic Party Chairman Gray Sasser, who said it "amplifies misinformation, discredited tall tales and Internet innuendo to appeal to the worst in people."

Maybe I'm just not bright, but I can't tell if this is in response to the initial press release (containing the photo and middle name) or the revised version.

It's a shame the Republicans couldn't just drop the crap and note that it was wrong to put it out in the first place. Instead they keep taking swipes at Obama and "the Left".

Also, in order to diffuse attempts by Democrats and the Left to divert attention from the main point of this release -- that Sen. Obama has surrounded himself with advisers and received endorsements from people who are anti-Semitic and anti-Israel -- we have deleted the use of Barack Obama's middle name."

But overall I think this sets a good tone for this election. We'll see if it stays civil or not, there are plenty of people out there that just want to turn it into a smear campaign. The McCain email going around now is a perfect example.

I wonder if this means they will just leave his name alone, or they also mean that no more hanging chads, hidden ballot boxes, swift boat type smears, etc.

~Bang

Of course there will be dirty tactics, this is politics.

But, I believe that the McCain campaign is a different breed of campaign than Bush's was. I don't expect to see McCain stoop to such lows that the Bush campaign did.

Of course there will be dirty tactics, this is politics.

But, I believe that the McCain campaign is a different breed of campaign than Bush's was. I don't expect to see McCain stoop to such lows that the Bush campaign did.

I'll join you in optimism. But I'll be prepared to be let down again.

Frankly, I like McCain and I always have. I think he's an honest respectable person (as politicians go), and I hope the people who back him and would be responsible for the dirt will let his respectable nature and his qualifications shine through.

Fingers are crossed.

~Bang

Politics as usual...put something out, the nwhen the reaction from the borad public is bad take it back knowing that those for whom the message was intended got it. :doh:

I can't remember what it was, but I believe McCain's group got some grief earlier when he was responding to a radio personality who asked him about running against Clinton and asked "How are you going to beat that b#$%^"

He answered...and then later after thinking (when press started honing in on the tone of his campaign) he pulled back saying we need to have respect for the opposition.

I hate to say it because I thought I would have a hard choice between McCain and Clinton, but I'm beginning to think the gentlemans' campaign on the issues is something in which he has only cursory interest.

This was good for republicans...Bad for democrats

1. McCain is distancing himself from the fray which insulates him from blame when the future attacks happen.

2. The RNC Chair only gave a press release to give the issue national attention.

3. Detached but republican supported groups will continue these attacks. The only reason the top republicans did this was for positive publicity for them, to make a national audience aware of Obama's middle name and plausible deniability for future attacks that are sure to come.

Thankfully the media and bloggers are a little smarter after dealing with the 2004 swiftboating of Kerry. Unfortunately the damage to Kerry had already been done by the time they figured out the swiftboaters were funded by the republicans.

It will be a lot tougher to swiftboat and hide who is funding you.

I'll join you in optimism. But I'll be prepared to be let down again.

Frankly, I like McCain and I always have. I think he's an honest respectable person (as politicians go), and I hope the people who back him and would be responsible for the dirt will let his respectable nature and his qualifications shine through.

Fingers are crossed.

~Bang

i agree with you about McCain, but its not like he can stop the shock jocks on the right or other strong personalities on the right to not continue down that line of dirty politics.

i think McCain will continue to decry the application of that kind of politics, but i think other people on the right will continue to do so and unfortunately it may affect McCain's campaign negatively.

i'm an obama supporter, but McCain shouldn't have to suffer for mouthpieces on the right.

They call it a 'two-fer'. You get someone (the TN GOP, some Cincinnati shock-jock) to say something outrageous that you want to get out there, then you've got the story running on all the news channels for a day or so, then the candidate or the RNC comes in and condemns the horrible conduct and distances themselves from it, so they look high-minded and fair and above-the-fray and presidential.

If you can pin the original leak on someone on the other side (according to Drudge, the photos came from the Hillary camp...), that's a 'three-fer'.

It is funny that all you have to do is speak his full name and you are a racist.

Does anyone else find that odd?

I find it funny that racists think anybody's stupid enough to fall for "I was just going out of my way to mention the middle name of my political opponent".

:)

I think what I like about the election this year is that it is exposing some of the dumbest and irrational arguments that were used in previous years, but were never blunt enough to make big national press.

Obviously with Obama, it is that he was a muslim once and his middle name is Hussein, same last name as a guy we caught and who got sentenced to death. Now the parties cannot hide their pre-conceived notions against Muslims or other issues. Hillary mudslings against Obama, the republicans do, McCain is trying to distance himself from this, which I respect. Then republicans also point out Hillary is a woman.

Regardless of who wins, it seems like this election was necessary only for the reason that it's exposing many pre-conceived notions that should not and do not anymore reflect what America as a nation should stand for.

I think what I like about the election this year is that it is exposing some of the dumbest and irrational arguments that were used in previous years, but were never blunt enough to make big national press.

Obviously with Obama, it is that he was a muslim once and his middle name is Hussein, same last name as a guy we caught and who got sentenced to death. Now the parties cannot hide their pre-conceived notions against Muslims or other issues. Hillary mudslings against Obama, the republicans do, McCain is trying to distance himself from this, which I respect. Then republicans also point out Hillary is a woman.

Regardless of who wins, it seems like this election was necessary only for the reason that it's exposing many pre-conceived notions that should not and do not anymore reflect what America as a nation should stand for.

Hillary is a woman?

I find it funny that racists think anybody's stupid enough to fall for "I was just going out of my way to mention the middle name of my political opponent".

:)

Barrack Hussein Obama!

OMG - call the PC police! I am turning myself in........ I am a racist! :)

To amend for my Un-PC sins, I sentance myself to watch 50 hours of CNN and Ellen.

I say props to the RNC for stepping up and showing some class. And props to McCain for showing some class too. :applause:

It has nothing to do with class and more to do with being spinless jellyfish!! What's wrong with Obamas middle name?? It's his. What I find more curious is how Obama and his camp are basically putting all kinds of limitations on what media can do or say with regard to him. They can't use his middle name, they can;t talk about his ears, they can't call him a liberal.

It's pretty ridiculous that them media can't use his middle name.

Archived