Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Detroit offering Roy Williams for a 2nd

MAATopDogg

this is from-http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

The availability of wide receiver Roy Williams is also in hot debate with Jacksonville, Tennessee, Tampa Bay and New Orleans all interested. The Lions are looking for a second round pick and have told several clubs they would even consider a pick in next years' draft to get a deal done.

r.i.p. sean you were a great player,teammate,man,father. we will miss seeing you dominate on sundays

I wonder why the Redskins aren't mentioned. We're usually mentioned no matter who the free agent is.

THat makes me suspect of this story. Any reporter worth his weight in paper knows that we're interested in any and everybody,and we're willing to offer anything we can to get him. The fact that they left that part out of the story makes me question the reliability of this story.

Offer our 2nd from next year's draft and a 7th from this year - just to get it done and eliminate the competition from other teams. Besides, a 7th round draft picks rarely work out (Rock being the exception) and we should be able to find a gem or three from the UDFA pool.

This is the receiver that I want. Get it done Mr. Snyder, Mr. Cerrato, and Coach Zorn.

Similar to DeAngelo Hall, you really have to wonder why a team would be shopping someone so young and talented, for such a relatively low price.

The Lions invested an early first rounder in Williams, and the Falcons invested an early first in D. Hall. And now they are each trying to get rid of these guys.

Think about that for a moment before getting all excited. You don't see the Chargers shopping LT, or the Skins shopping Landry, do you?

I'm always wary when a team is trying to unload a guy who is young and so talented. There's usually a reason for it.

It's kinda like when some guy in a white van pulls up next to you and says, "Hey man, the store accidentally gave me two sets of these super-sweet speakers, but I only need one set. Do you want the second set for an awesome price?" RED FLAG.

Similar to DeAngelo Hall, you really have to wonder why a team would be shopping someone so young and talented, for such a relatively low price.

The Lions invested an early first rounder in Williams, and the Falcons invested an early first in D. Hall. And now they are each trying to get rid of these guys.

Think about that for a moment before getting all excited. You don't see the Chargers shopping LT, or the Skins shopping Landry, do you?

I'm always wary when a team is trying to unload a guy who is young and so talented. There's usually a reason for it.

I think in this case the Lions have more then enough WR's to go around. They aren't going to trade Calvin Johnson and he is their #1 going into next season. Roy Williams would be their number 2 but Shaun McDonald showed last year he can fill that role. Mike Furrey is a great slot WR at the #3. Basically they have two #1 guys in RW and CJ right now with CJ having the much better prospects going foward. Combine that with RW coming off an injury and you have a team that is taking the best WR other then CJ and being able to trade him for a 2nd round draft pick.

It's kinda like when some guy in a white van pulls up next to you and says, "Hey man, the store accidentally gave me two sets of these super-sweet speakers, but I only need one set. Do you want the second set for an awesome price?" RED FLAG.

They both want off of their current team, the team has no choice but to get something for them now or deal with the whining and possible morale killer next year.

For a second? I definitely say get it done. He's exactly the type of player our offense needs to be truly potent. Then we can turn the rest of our attention in the draft to the lines, with a CB thrown in somewhere.

Not to mention that he's still YOUNG, 25 i think, so he has best years ahead of him. It would be nice to get dude.

I'd be willing to consider this trade.

This is a premier WR, entering his peak performance years. The question is whether he'd fit in this year's flavor of offense. However, I'm getting the sense Zorn might actually be willing to adapt his offense to his personnel, so by all means we should go after Williams.

I'd offer up next years #2, but we might have to be willing to pony up this years #2 -- assuming we can work our current #1 pick into more picks during the lower rounds.

However, I don't think the Skins offer would be enough. If several teams go for the Lions offer, I suspect the Lions would want the highest of the second round picks from the teams offering to trade. Sitting at #21, our pick isn't as attractive than some. Still, we are not in the NFC North, so that might count for something.

By the way, I don't believe that Williams is damaged goods. If there was some major problem with Williams, I'm sure a physical would reveal this. Still the Skins might want to do some investigation for other issues (drugs, steroids, criminal actions), but I suspect this simply about the Lions not being able to keep two #1 WRs on the same roster, now that good (and cheaper) #2 WR has emerged n McDonald. The Lions appear to be retooling from their Martz style of offense, and doing a general overhaul of their roster; if so, some team could pick up Williams for a decent value.

That said, does anyone know what Williams would cost in salary, this year and the next? We're not in the greatest shape cap-wise.

Archived