Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memphis State #1 vs. Tennessee #2 (now Duke convo.) (poll included)

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So here's the dealio.... This Saturday is of course the battle between the only unbeaten college team left and our cross-state rivals the Vols. Having said that, tickets are ranging anywhere from $4000 to $10,000 plus :doh: (I know, right?) This is only the 2nd time in the Tigers long history that the team was ranked #1 and the 1st time for more than 12 hours :doh: :doh:

So here's my question.... Having said all of the above, and you had the cash to blow and Memphis State is your home team would you and how much you spend?

And who do you like?

:munchout:

well, Memphis obviously plays in a weak conference but they did play quite a tough non-conference schedule, having played at least 5 teams (not counting tennessee) that will be in the tourney, possibly 7+ teams...

as for tennessee, they shouldn't be ranked #2... personally, I think they're borderline for even being top 5 and no way I'm putthing them ahead of a team like kansas... to me, they're a slightly worse version of duke (though I haven't seen either of duke's past 2 losses) as both teams rely heavily on the 3, utilize quick pressure on D to force turnovers, and don't have much of a prototypical post presence but moreso skinnier inside-outside big men... as much as I dislike duke, I think they're slightly better due to coaching and better shot selection as they generally get better looks for their 3s from the dribble drive and kickout then tennessee's sometimes indiscriminate launching...

I could see either team winning on saturday as tennessee is capable of getting hot from deep and beating anybody, but I think Memphis will get the W...

So here's the dealio.... This Saturday is of course the battle between the only unbeaten college team left and our cross-state rivals the Vols. Having said that, tickets are ranging anywhere from $4000 to $10,000 plus :doh: (I know, right?) This is only the 2nd time in the Tigers long history that the team was ranked #1 and the 1st time for more than 12 hours :doh: :doh:

So here's my question.... Having said all of the above, and you had the cash to blow and Memphis State is your home team would you and how much you spend?

And who do you like?

:munchout:

Um, they're not called Mempis "State" anymore dude. :rolleyes:

Dog, don't waste money on a regular season game. Save that money and see your team in the tourney! This game will mean absolutely nothing come tournament time. I know it's historical in that it's the second time you guys have been ranked #1, and Tennessee is #2, and it'll likely be an awesome shootout, and it might be a great game...but NONE of that means anything when you see them in the tourney. Save your money and get yourself some Final Four tix.

Edit: I'm surprised "I love lamp..." hasn't gotten more votes.

The argument could be made that he is the best coach in College Basketball right now.

Yep, I'll argue that point. Let's look at the records of the 2 teams since Pearl's hire in '05...

2005 - Memphis 33-4 / Tennessee 22-8

2006 - Memphis 30-3 / Tennessee 22-10

2007 - Memphis 25-0 / Tennessee 23-2

I'll take the 7 losses over the 20 losses those 3 years. And those will argue that it's C-USA and that we really don't play "anyone". But look at the teams UT has played as well. Other than their fellow SEC opponents who has UT really played? Western Kentucky, MTSU, Ark Monticello, Prarie View to name a few... Yeah those are all such powerhouses :doh: :doh:

And I believe we have been a little further in the Tourneys than UT has gone too. ;)

Yep, I'll argue that point. Let's look at the records of the 2 teams since Pearl's hire in '05...

2005 - Memphis 33-4 / Tennessee 22-8

2006 - Memphis 30-3 / Tennessee 22-10

2007 - Memphis 25-0 / Tennessee 23-2

I'll take the 7 losses over the 20 losses those 3 years. And those will argue that it's C-USA and that we really don't play "anyone". But look at the teams UT has played as well. Other than their fellow SEC opponents who has UT really played? Western Kentucky, MTSU, Ark Monticello, Prarie View to name a few... Yeah those are all such powerhouses :doh: :doh:

And I believe we have been a little further in the Tourneys than UT has gone too. ;)

The moment Pearl took over the program from Buzz Peterson, UT was almost instantly on the map. Same players, same stadium... but IMMEDIATELY the team adopted Pearl's energy and enthusiasm.

TN has never been known as a basketball school, and Pearl is changing that singlehandedly. We've gone from the laughing stock of the SEC to a national contender almost overnight.

The moment Pearl took over the program from Buzz Peterson, UT was almost instantly on the map. Same players, same stadium... but IMMEDIATELY the team adopted Pearl's energy and enthusiasm.

TN has never been known as a basketball school, and Pearl is changing that singlehandedly. We've gone from the laughing stock of the SEC to a national contender almost overnight.

That's true, but you could say the same thing about Calipari in Memphis. He definitely revived basketball there. Perhaps he hasn't had the incredible effect that Bruce Pearl has had, but you can't deny the consistent way in which the Tigers have gotten better every year under Calipari:

2000: NIT 3rd place

2001: NIT Champs

2002: NCAA First round

2003: NCAA 2nd round

2004: NIT Semis

2005: NCAA Elite Eight

2006: NCAA Elite Eight

2007: ???

Putting the 2004 season aside, the Tigers have gotten better every single year under Calipari.

How long before Tennessee wins a National Championship for Mens & Womens in the same year? :D

Has that ever been done?

UConn 2004.

Maryland, North Carolina, and Stanford are the only other schools to even have both men's and women's titles, so that would be an accomplishment in itself even if it doesn't happen in the same year.

That's true, but you could say the same thing about Calipari in Memphis. He definitely revived basketball there. Perhaps he hasn't had the incredible effect that Bruce Pearl has had, but you can't deny the consistent way in which the Tigers have gotten better every year under Calipari:

2000: NIT 3rd place

2001: NIT Champs

2002: NCAA First round

2003: NCAA 2nd round

2004: NIT Semis

2005: NCAA Elite Eight

2006: NCAA Elite Eight

2007: ???

Putting the 2004 season aside, the Tigers have gotten better every single year under Calipari.

Well he's certainly a good coach, I'm not saying he isn't. Looks like there is a good argument there for him as well.

This game will mean absolutely nothing come tournament time.

False. This game may be the difference between a #1 or #2 seed for Memphis in the tourney.

How long before Tennessee wins a National Championship for Mens & Womens in the same year? :D

Has that ever been done?

UCONN in 2004 did it.

Archived