Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think Genesis was a good band?

Thanos

Good band, though I think Gabriel's and Collins' solo careers were better than when they were joined as a band. Though they did have great commercial success, I don't think they are often mentioned as pioneers (at least to Americans) because they did not have a great hit list when it came to American radio unlike in the UK, and their choppy history and lack of great music in more recent years made them a bit more forgettable.

I sorta see them like the Smashing Pumpkins. Great career but since one or two of their latest albums weren't very good, most people tend to forget them.

With Peter Gabrial, the band was almost playing fusion music. They have some hidden gems within their live stuff. Especially with Bill Bruford on drums (which I think was after Peter left). I wasn't too high on Peter's frontman/singing skills from that time, but he MADE Genesis play progressively.

When Peter left, they gradually phased their progressiveness out. Phil made the band very poppy, it was a complete turnaround. So much so, they should have renamed the band, IMO. Although, I do like a few of their songs.

"I Can't Dance" -

americanpsycho.jpg

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your *******. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

----

I did like Genesis had the tape when I was real young.

They went downhill after Peter Gabriel left.. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is classic.

Bingo.

To those who haven't ... do yourself a favor. Pick up a copy of Lamb, hook yourself up with some decent headphones, pour a decent glass of red wine and listen to it straight through. You won't regret it.

As to post-Gabriel Genesis, they became a good pop band with some legit hits, but never came anywhere close to reaching the musical heights from whence they came.

Archived