Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think Genesis was a good band?

Thanos

Do you think Genesis was a good band?

With Peter Gabriel (and a mouth-shut Phil Collins behind the drums), they go head-to-head with any of the great '70's bands.

Without Peter Gabriel, they became just another hit-making band in the '80's with nothing particularly special about them.

Although I do admit Duke is kind of a guilty-pleasure album of mine, just because of Turn It on Again.

Bingo.

To those who haven't ... do yourself a favor. Pick up a copy of Lamb, hook yourself up with some decent headphones, pour a decent glass of red wine and listen to it straight through. You won't regret it.

As to post-Gabriel Genesis, they became a good pop band with some legit hits, but never came anywhere close to reaching the musical heights from whence they came.

I know that when I want to rock, I always enjoy a nice glass of Pinot Noir. Om is not going to be snorting blow off a hooker's ass anytime soon.

The only 70s art rock band that ever did anything for me was ELO. And I'm not even sure if they are "art rock" or just the world's greatest Beatles' tribute band.

americanpsycho.jpg

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your *******. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

----

I did like Genesis had the tape when I was real young.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

(This is a test).

They were my best freinds favorite band when I was at that "parents are freinds, so we will hang out a lot" age. You know 6 or 7 years old. He would listen to them all the time and I couldn't stand it. I was a Rocker, not a Pop queen.

How could you seriously listen to Genesis, when AC/DC was to be had?

I guess there is no acounting for taste.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

(This is a test).

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

Is that a rain coat?

Is that a rain coat?

Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

I know that when I want to rock' date=' I always enjoy a nice glass of Pinot Noir. Om is not going to be snorting blow off a hooker's ass anytime soon.[/quote']

I didn't say a word about "when I want to rock." I was talking about the way I'd recommend listening to Lamb Lies Down on Broadway for the first time.

Expand your horizons man.

I think the problem with Genesis is that they are confused with Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins, two of the worst solo acts in rock history imho.

r.e. Gabriel, would somebody buy this guy a lyric? How many times do you have to repeat "Sledge Hammer" ???? :doh1:

r.e. Phil Collins, whoever stole his nuts, please return them.

As for Genesis, they were an okay group. Probably much better than the sum of their parts.

They kind of remind me of the Police in that regard. Sting's solo stuff is mostly terrible, but the Police kicked major ass.

They seemed to do music where after I listen to it I don't feel like, "They did this because someone's house payment was due that month." Their stuff is generally easy to listen and pretty enjoyable.

Not mention "Turn it on again" & an instrumental at the end of "Invisible Touch" entitled "The Brazilian" are two great songs to work out to.

Archived