Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could Time Travel,what major event would you try to stop?(POLL)

michael_33

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It was a tough choice between JFK and 9/11 for me. I chose JFK. Let me try to explain. I would be hopeful that by stopping the JFK assasination, 9/11 would not have occurred. So a 2 for 1 so to speak. I believe if JFK had lived this country would be a totally different nation than it is today. In fact maybe globally things would be very different. I'm not old enough to remember JFK(he was killed before I was born)but after what I've been taught about him I would say that he would have made a big difference in how this country was viewed by outside nations. Those responsible for 9/11 may not have been able to pull off those things so easily or that group would have never had a reason to form perhaps.
I really don't think JFK's assassination was that big a deal.

It basically galvanized the nation around his agenda, and LBJ was able to pass the Great Society, we went to the moon, and all that other stuff. In some ways, JFK's assassination pushed forward a lot of things faster than they might have happened if he had lived. It's unclear what would have happened with Vietnam, but I'm not convinced he would have done things that differently from LBJ. There was even an obvious heir to JFK's legacy in RFK, who did campaign on withdrawal from Vietnam and supported furthering the civil rights agenda championed by JFK. Now, when they killed MLK and then RFK, that's when the dream really died ... I don't think the Democratic Party has ever recovered from that vacuum of leadership.

The most important assassination in US History, however, was Lincoln. When Johnson took over, he basically undercut Reconstruction and set the stage for another century of Jim Crow. If Lincoln had survived, he might have been elected to three or four terms as he guided the nation through the post-slavery era. I'm not even sure how things would have turned out, but since Lincoln and Johnson had such diverging views on Reconstruction, it would have been radically different.

As far as the issue of time travel,

If you did succeed, you would fail to exist anyway.
I would subscribe more to the "alternate timeline" theory of time travel, where it's okay to go back in time to kill your grandfather because your personal timeline still exists; it's just separate from the new timeline you just created.

You wouldn't stop it, you'd just want to watch it?

No, I would change the Lincoln assassination because I feel as though taking away his death would've had a greater impact upon our nation and could've taken us down a different path....which would be interesting to see (our nation). I would've wanted to see the Grassy Knoll and speak with Oswald to find the truth. (I would never want to watch someone kill another.) When it comes to conspiracy theories, the Grassy Knoll and Oswald's motive take the cake. (Along with Area 51 and Bigfoot.)

on Conan last night, they were doing the Celebrity Survey bit, and one of the questions was along the lines of "What do you regret not being old enough to do?" and another one was "If you could use a time machine and travel back in time, what would you do?"

to both of those, the response from Dick Cheney was "Turn in Anne Frank".

A favorite, but untrue, story is when the actress Pia Zadora played Anne Frank in a stage version of The Diary of Anne Frank, she was so bad that when the Nazi's showed up to search the house in which her character was hidden, the audience stood up and shouted "She's in the attic". :laugh:

A favorite, but untrue, story is when the actress Pia Zadora played Anne Frank in a stage version of The Diary of Anne Frank, she was so bad that when the Nazi's showed up to search the house in which her character was hidden, the audience stood up and shouted "She's in the attic". :laugh:

that's hilarious, i wish it were true. :laugh:

As far as the issue of time travel, I would subscribe more to the "alternate timeline" theory of time travel, where it's okay to go back in time to kill your grandfather because your personal timeline still exists; it's just separate from the new timeline you just created.

Only if Multiverses existed.

Imagine the ripple you would make in the current space time continuum. I agree that there would have to be muliverses if such things were possible.

Imagine killing your grandfather and the ramifications that would have, not only on your family, but everyone he touched, they touched and everything he did, they did, etc...

So what would be the point of time travel if the events you changed set off another timeline anyways? You would never know, see or learn about said changes as it would occur in another universe.

Archived