Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meet the Hyundai Genesis (drool)

heyholetsgogrant

LOL!! Close...but some of those classic cars are good investments.

Only if you count the benefit of use or showing it....there are many more things that bring similar or larger returns w/o the ins,upkeep and storage costs which add up.

1. If you buy "foreign" the money goes DIRECTLY overseas, regardless of where it's built. Therefore your money is greatly supporting the economy of different companies. This is a double edged sword because it then takes money out of the American automotive Research and Development department, making it more difficult to put a "quality" product on the road.

The profits go overseas but you're forgetting a number of expenses that stay here. If Honda is producing cars in America they have to pay for American workers, American land, and will be more inclined to buy American products/services to support their business.

2. In other countries, it is cheaper to make the parts because of the fact that the economy is much lower, which means cost of living is much cheaper, which means they can pay people less. This means the American auto industry then needs to outsource their parts/products in order to keep the prices low to try and compete. Anyone who has ever tried to translate, understands that things dont translate perfectly, which means there is going to be errors.

On the other hand, we'd also have to pay more for cars if Ford wanted to attain the same kind of profit margins in the US as Japanese automakers. There's no real way for us to win here. A country that can produce a product of similar or better quality for less is going to have an advantage in a foreign capitalist market.

Outsourcing is really not a problem although it has one major caveat. You absolutely must find a way to retrain your work force so that they can more easily adapt to our increasingly service sector economy. Thus far we've done an incredibly poor job of this.

3. You dont buy a house in Japan because it's cheaper to live there? Even if they found a way to build houses in Japan and ship them over here, would you buy one?

The cost of living in Japan is actually very high, especially in Tokyo. ;)

The profits go overseas but you're forgetting a number of expenses that stay here. If Honda is producing cars in America they have to pay for American workers, American land, and will be more inclined to buy American products/services to support their business.

to a point, but if you buy something built in America, BY AMERICANS, you get like an 80% input into USA instead of about 30%

On the other hand, we'd also have to pay more for cars if Ford wanted to attain the same kind of profit margins in the US as Japanese automakers. There's no real way for us to win here. A country that can produce a product of similar or better quality for less is going to have an advantage in a foreign capitalist market.

i'm not arguing who has the advantage, just saying why i buy American

Outsourcing is really not a problem although it has one major caveat. You absolutely must find a way to retrain your work force so that they can more easily adapt to our increasingly service sector economy. Thus far we've done an incredibly poor job of this.

Outsourcing is a huge problem, we cant afford to pay people who understand what they are looking at, so we hire people with a general knowledge and things get lost in translation

The cost of living in Japan is actually very high, especially in Tokyo. ;)

want a cookie?

to a point, but if you buy something built in America, BY AMERICANS, you get like an 80% input into USA instead of about 30%

True... but if people are going to buy Japanese anyway its probably better that we get something back.

Outsourcing is a huge problem, we cant afford to pay people who understand what they are looking at, so we hire people with a general knowledge and things get lost in translation

At what level, though? It seems to me that companies largely retain the people who really know what they're doing. Granted, I'm far more familiar with the outsourcing of technical support than I am anything else.

want a cookie?

Always.

That Genesis is a sharp looking car. The silhouette kinda looks like an Altima, to me, but I agree that the front and rear are definitely bimmer inspired. (As if that's a bad thing.)

I REALLY like the interior design. Very sharp and classy, and looks very uncomplicated at the same time. And 75 more base HP than a Mustang GT? That's nice. I assume you can get it with a manual tranny?

*EDIT* Hmm...Looks like 6-speed auto only.

the genesis looks like a very nice car for the price. hyundai and kia both have come a long way (and honestly weren't as bad as daewo, suzuki, daihastsu, geo, or yugo when they were introduced) in the last few years. i know people with those cars that have well over 100k miles on them without any major repairs.

if you are someone who buys cars based on brand name only, i can understand the snobiness. if you want a good car with decent stats and amenities, you'd be stupid not to look at a hyundai.

hyundai is still playing catchup and trying to make cars based on what's popular. they are probably a few years out before you hear about them producing superlative cars (best this, fastest that, most etc).

Archived