Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meet the Hyundai Genesis (drool)

heyholetsgogrant

I love their tag line:

"Think about it."

Captures the message perfectly.

At $15,000-20,000 below the cost of the 5-Series, I'm sure plenty of people will do more than just think about it...

...assuming the early returns are any good, of course. :D

Hyundai has gotten MUCH, MUCH better with quality over the past ten years.

A decade ago, they were roughly in league with Kia. Now they're in league with, or BETTER than, many of the automakers you'd associate with good workmanship.

The reputation takes a while to catch up, though.

Genesis is an interesting effort to take that last step. But if I were Hyundai, I would have at least looked into spinning off a luxury division, even if it's just a different badge, to get the high-end stuff away from the Hyundai name. They could have called the luxury division... Genesis.

I've driven a Hyundai Azera as a rental car a couple of times. It's actually a pretty nice car.

It's not quite a Toyota Avalon, but I like it FAR better than the equivalent GM crap I sometimes get as a rental. Ford falls somewhere in between.

I'm not ready to buy a Hyundai, but they're heading in the right direction.

Me personally, being involved in the automotive field, i have a great respect for the engineering side of things.

Hyundai, Saturn, Volkswagon, all of these vehicles i do not like because they are not engineered very well. They are difficult to work on and often have returning problems that continue to plague the vehicle.

For example. Volkswagon makes thier oil pans aluminum. Now most people wont understand why this is a problem, but they use a steel drain plug. Now think about doing an oil change when the oil is hot, pulling a STEEL plug through a piece of ALUMINUM. One of the biggest problems with these is they strip the oil pan out, and then the shop who did the last oil change is responsible for replacing the pan because it wont hold oil anymore. Little things like this bother me tremendously.

Genesis is an interesting effort to take that last step. But if I were Hyundai, I would have at least looked into spinning off a luxury division, even if it's just a different badge, to get the high-end stuff away from the Hyundai name. They could have called the luxury division... Genesis.

Yeah, I kind of think this might fail...

People don't buy BMW or Mercedes because they are better cars. They buy it for the badge.

actually i think they call it the "M5 Killer" if i'm not mistaken, i have read a little bit about this, might be the wrong car i'm talkin about though

Just eyeballing the coupe, the pricetag, and the 300+ hp without doing the research I was reminded of the 350z. There's a good resemblance there (if anything it looks like a 350z merged with an RSX).

The four door looks a lot more BMW-inspired.

Just eyeballing the coupe, the pricetag, and the 300+ hp without doing the research I was reminded of the 350z. There's a good resemblance there (if anything it looks like a 350z merged with an RSX).

The four door looks a lot more BMW-inspired.

2007_Hyundai_Tiburon.jpg

I think it's actually a beefed up version of the Tiburon

Kinda like the "Evo" is a beefed up version of the Lancer from Mitsubishi

Archived