Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL network and CJ

wolfeman12

Just gone watching NFL network and they had a beat writer on from the Bengals. He pretty said he felt that the Bengals would not trade Johnson because of the 8 million cap hit. The Bengals feel that "Johnson is a franchise player." They would lose CJ and have holes on the defense as well. This was a writer feeling.

I think if the player returns a portion of the signing bonus, it doesn't count against the cap. LA did that when we finally were able to ship him out.

I must admit I was surprised to learn that there would be an $8mil hit though. If 85 isn't happy with $8mil for one season, what's it gonna take to make him happy? :doh:

6 if they keep him, 8 if they trade him. Didn't see it so I don't know if the writer (Hobson probably) mentioned that or not. If chad's that big of a PITA then the 2 mil would be better served by trading him.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I heard about the 8 mill hit about a week ago and wrote all this nonsense off.

I was happier thinking this couldn't happen.

Ocho Cinco is a great player, no doubt, but I don't really want him here. The team is probably a couple of years away and CJ is almost 30. His contract will be massive and the hype will be out of this world.

JC is a downgrade from Carson Palmer and who knows what he'll produce in this offense. Not worth the risk. Rather draft someone and use the money for the lines.

I see you are from Cinci, whats the word on the street?

The fans have turned on Chad. From blogs to radio to TV, nobody wants him back. In fact, they'd rather him sit and mope than be traded (and help the team). To be honest all he's doing is driving his stock down. Either the Bengals will be desperate to move him or he'll sit all year long. You think Snyder is a douche? Check out Mike Brown. He doesn't care if they win at all, just that they sell out...who's heard of a season ticket waiting list for a team who can't win more than 8 games and no playoff wins since God knows when.

Edit: Welker was traded for a 2nd so I wouldn't give up more than that...I also wouldn't count on anymore than 3 years w/o complaining.

Unlike the majority, I'm all for Chad Johnson. He's been the most yd producing WR in the league over the last 5 years and his ypc continues to increase. However, NFL Network is right, it's more expensive to let him go than to keep him. The Bengals would take a million dollar cap hit if CJ was traded...is that worth the 21st pick?

That's the question.

I don't see them letting him go.

Just gone watching NFL network and they had a beat writer on from the Bengals. He pretty said he felt that the Bengals would not trade Johnson because of the 8 million cap hit. The Bengals feel that "Johnson is a franchise player." They would lose CJ and have holes on the defense as well. This was a writer feeling.

Are you sure he was a beat writer, because I remember them interviewing the editor of Bengals.com. IMO, that's one of the last people I'd go to for an objective opinion. Don't go to a guy that the team pays to make them look good for inside information.

not to mention he is 30 years old

TO is 34, and it looks like he has 2-4 effective years left.

The fans have turned on Chad. From blogs to radio to TV, nobody wants him back. In fact, they'd rather him sit and mope than be traded (and help the team). To be honest all he's doing is driving his stock down. Either the Bengals will be desperate to move him or he'll sit all year long. You think Snyder is a douche? Check out Mike Brown. He doesn't care if they win at all, just that they sell out...who's heard of a season ticket waiting list for a team who can't win more than 8 games and no playoff wins since God knows when.

Edit: Welker was traded for a 2nd so I wouldn't give up more than that...I also wouldn't count on anymore than 3 years w/o complaining.

Welker isn't a top top 10 reciever

Ehhh, I think there are valid arguments for or against CJ, but if we are going to go after a WR it needs to be someone of his caliber as a player. The disruption he causes is WAY overstated, he is nothing at all like TO. I can sympathize with his frustration in Cincy and I agree, if he really wants out he can make some accommodation with the money. A lot of players change teams and work even harder to prove their worth the way R Moss did going to NE.

Archived