Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senate Authorizes Broad Expansion Of Surveillance Act

Thanos

I hate this immunity. If they weren't violating a law, why do they need it? If they were, why did they?

:mad:

I love this immunity. It's not like the NSA or any of the other alphabet soups have a load of their own systems to monitor communications, so they rely on the phone/online companies to share their equipment and allow them access.

They aren't doing anything illegal in doing that, the legality comes down to the monitors and who/what they are listening to.

However, the way the ACLU and other leftist lawyers are given leave to operate in this country, it would only be so long before the companies themselves were drawn into a lawsuit.

Besides minimum wage?

38 of the states were already there or higher?

and some of the states don't need to be the same as others.... Kansas does not equal NY. So hey, it was a feel good one to say the least. and 24 of them: Fed is 5.85 http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0930886.html

1. Will rise to $8.00 on 01/01/08.

2. Will rise to $7.15 on 01/01/2008.

3. Will rise to $7.55 on 07/24/2008.

4. Will rise to $7.75 on 07/01/2008.

5. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

6. Will rise to $7.25 on 01/01/2008.

7. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/01/2008.

8. Will rise to $7.00 on 10/01/2007.

9. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

10. Will rise to $8.00 on 01/01/2008.

11. Will rise to $7.40 on 07/01/2008.

12. Will rise to $6.50 on 09/01/2007.

13. Will rise to $7.25 on 07/24/2009.

14. Will rise to $6.50 on 01/01/2008.

15. Will rise to $7.25 on 07/24/2009.

16. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

17. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

18. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

19. Will rise to $7.15 in July 2008.

20. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

21. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

22. Will rise to $5.85 on 09/08/2007.

23. Will rise to $6.55 on 07/24/2008.

24. Will rise to $7.25 on 07/01/2008.

They aren't doing anything illegal in doing that, the legality comes down to the monitors and who/what they are listening to.
Amendment 4

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Please explain to us your legal reasoning, in how you get from the above portion of the Constitution, to a point where "give us all of your records for all telephone calls your company has ever handled, and give us back door access so that we can continue to monitor them in the future without bothering to even ask" is, in your opinion, not illegal.

And I get it that there are a lot of folks trying to paint this as a Democrat bill, but the part of the article I've read says

Rockefeller was one of 17 Democrats who joined 49 Republicans and one independent to reject an amendment offered by Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) that would have stripped the immunity provision from the bill.

So if you really want to bring political parties into the discussion, then you're blaming the wrong one.

Telecom immunity: Let me say this again. Do you really want companies to be sued for complying with the government? So how does this work? Should every company sit down and determine if the government *MIGHT* be doing something that would later on be found illegal before complying with every government request or order? Where does the insanity stop? If, because you comply with a government order someone is hurt, should they be able to sue you? On what planet does this makes sense? :doh:

The immunity is there to prevent frivilous lawsuits, of which there are far far too many, by trial lawyers--

And to encourage the phone companies, which otherwise would likely not participate for fear of lawsuit, to participate in and facilitate surveillance programs.

I'm not sure if everyone realizes just how precarious our position is (and I don't think I do either--but IMO it's pretty damn serious)--this surveillance is IMO fully necessary to prevent another major attack on an American city.

I understand the balance between liberties and national security.

But I'm pretty sure that I'd prefer having my phone calls to my wife and my friends listened to than see Chicago turn into a nuclear wasteland. And I honestly think that's what we're dealing with here.

And while I'm sure abuses of this power will happen, the lion's share of this program will be used to detect, locate and prosecute terrorists that want to kill Americans.

IMO we have a clear and present danger with malignant terrorist cells ready to matasticize all over the world.

Thus, I'm fully in favor of this program.

Telecom immunity: Let me say this again. Do you really want companies to be sued for complying with the government?

Absolutely.

I think that the plaintiff's burden of proof should be high, if he wants to win. As in, I think the plaintiff should have to prove that the company knew that the government's request was bogus.

However, in this case, that's not hard.

What we've got here, is that the government wants to do something which the Constitution specifically says that they can't do. In absolutely no uncertain terms. (I, personally, refer to this using the term "Treason".)

So the government wants to set up a deal where somebody else commits Treason, on their behalf. And then the government will shield the traitor from justice.

This is no different from a process where, say, the government wanted to search every home in Fairfax County. They don't have a warrant to do so. (And the Constitution says they can't get one). So they hire a team of burglars to break into the homes, anyway. And pass a law that says that you can't prosecute burglars if they're committing burglary on a government contract.

Archived