Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins' Offseason: It's On

RWJ

Very excited to see what what we do. Can you really tell me you'd not be happy with :

1. Trade for Chad Johnson

2. Sign Lance Briggs

3. Draft Lineman 2-4 On both sides of ball

4. Draft CB/S

5. Depth Role players.

That would get me pretty pumped! Would it work ? who the hell knows.:dallasuck

1) Chad Johnson is 30 years old. This would be a classic "the future is now" move for a guy that might also be a headache for a rookie HC.

2) Very happy with signing Briggs. I was a proponent of trading for Briggs last year, but that was before the Redskins started talking about taking Landry.

3&4) You need OLineman, DLineman, young CB and another S would be great... If you trade draft picks to take Chad Johnson, you won't have much left to draft.

5) Assuming you have money left over to replace the role players you are talking about letting go (cartwright, thrash, etc)...

Whoever mentioned signing Dan Morgan needs to have their head examined.

A multiple concussion history is something we don't need on this team. We deal with enough injury already.

BTW, Chad Johnson is worthless on this team when we already have trouble with pass protection.

Why would you bring in a guy who's act has worn his teammates out in Cincy?

I'd hate to see Thrash go, as the article suggested might happen. He can't be making too much money, can he? So much of what he does doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

Losing Thrash and Rock would be a significant blow to our special teams. Rock does more than just return kicks. He and Thrash are just always around the ball on special teams--usually the first guys to make a play. Can't overlook the little things.

I'm not in love with Johnson or Briggs, both strike me as having too much hype. Neither player is the best at his position on his own team! However, we could really use Chad Johnson since we are installing the WCO, and another ace linebacker couldn't hurt either.

Chad Johnson and Lance Briggs are best at their position on both teams... Urlacher is over-rated and CJ was doing what he is doing now prior to TJ coming into the picture. TJ had a good year, but CJ is the guy teams are more worried about. That doesn't mean I think we should bring him here. Urlacher really hasn't been the same guy as he was four-five years ago. BTW, Chicago's defense didn't look that good when Briggs missed some games with injury.

It'd be great to get CJ ... but not at the expense of our 1st round pick.

I'm sick of always dealing all our picks away for people who, most of the time, end up not being worth it.

Everyone was salivating over Spagnuolo less than a week ago, and it was his D LINE that made his game plan look so good. Let's use that 1st round pick for a D line player ...

Chad Johnson and Lance Briggs don't excite me. But someone like Trent Dilfer does. I know that sounds backwards, but I for one haven't forgotten "the early years" of Snyder's reign. I'd prefer a more "slow and steady" approach. Build through the draft. Pick up solid veteran backukps, and look for value in free agency. But are either of these guys values? I'm don't think so.

I wish we would just keep our picks and draft our own players.

Chad Johnson is not what you want on this team. I hope we pass on him cause he is the kind of player who will start pointing fingers at his QB if he doesn't get the ball. Oh and i hate his stupid TD celebrations.

Were finally on the right track and now that Gibbs is gone we want to trade our 1st for CJ. Being he is disgrunduled player with the Bengals and them coming out saying they are not intersted in trading him so they can get more value for him I'd give a second rounder and nothing more!!!!. I just hope he isn't a cancer in the locker room. Briggs would be a good fit here except I would move him to SLB spot and have Rocky keep his original position. I hope the the front office doesn't give up the farm for him and we become a top heavy team again.

I like the Chad Johnson move. However, I'm not sold on Briggs either. I'm not too sure about Rocky's knees...and I know we need help along the D-line...I'm starting to feel that we need help at LB as well. I hope we can hold on to our 1st round pick...we definitely need to go defense...I'm just uncertain (at this point) whether we should burn it on a LB or DL. I'd be happy with a solid pick at either position. Although, Blades has shown promise!

Looks like it's time for Redskins fans "Super Bowl" The Offseason. How many times have we seen this? I was willing to give Snyderrato the benefit of the doubt on the Coaching mess because I think Zorn could be a good hire. Now I see that they are planning another misguided offseason. Trading away picks, chasing big names, backloaded mega contracts. It's the same crap. People can get excited about Chad Johnson and Briggs if they want, but haven't we been through this before. Snyder is an absolute dunce.

I agree. I'd prefer to go d-line in the draft, rather than linebacker.

And when it comes to Chad Johnson, I would love to see him here, but not if that means giving up our first round pick. I'm sure there's a way we can acquire him without giving up our top pick.

I've also heard rumors that Larry Fitzgerald may be leaving Arizona and I'd actually prefer him over Johnson. He's younger, bigger, and will be less expensive.

Assuming this information is reliable, it appears (as we mostly expected) that Collins and Brunell will not be back. Even before the new coach was named, we already knew that one or both of them would be goners. That isn't exactly a surprise. That would mean that at least one veteran QB will be brought in and we'll maybe draft a younger guy to be the 3rd stringer. Heck, keep Hollenbach and teach him the new system.

Brandon Lloyd is almost certain to be released, according to sources who have talked to Snyder and Cerrato. Veteran Keenan McCardell is also unlikely to be back. James Thrash, a special teams standout for Gibbs, might not return, and concerns over chronic knee problems could mean that reserve Reche Caldwell also will not be re-signed.

Again, this information isn't unexpected, if true. If there wasn't this supposed knee problem, I'd be up for Caldwell returning in the burg and gold. I had a feeling Thrash would be on their cut list, but we'll see how that goes. He may stick around. If not, then we're looking at getting at least three more wide receivers.

If Chad Johnson doesn't cost us a fortune AND early round draft picks, then...*sigh* I still wouldn't know how I'd feel about him as an acquisition. You know what he can do, but at the same time, you don't know how a change of team would change his attitude towards authority figures on the team.

I do hope that the front office will consider giving Anthony Mix an extended look at. Keep him around for OTA's and see what he can do. Moss, Randle El, Johnson (maybe), Mix, and some other young guy. Any additional WRs that are over 6 feet would be fantastic.

Snyder and Cerrato raved about Clinton Portis during interviews with head coaching prospects, sources said. Another renegotiation of his contract is likely. While Gibbs sometimes referred to Portis and Ladell Betts as "interchangeable," sources said that Snyder and Cerrato spoke of Betts solely as a backup. Team sources said they expect Betts to resume kick returning duties in 2008. Free agent Rock Cartwright is expected to depart.

Betts back to doing kick returns?! Cartwright leaving?! WHAT?! :doh: I'm all for Portis, but you can't lean on just him. You'll have to have somebody behind him. IF Cartwright is indeed departing (damn shame), then why not have Marcus Mason (if he can make it onto the final roster) return kicks? Does the team intend on having a younger guy back up Portis? Have Betts remain as Portis backup and have a younger guy behind Betts? I'll be sad to see Cartwright depart.

Fullback Mike Sellers and tight end Chris Cooley will have significant roles in the West Coast offense under Zorn. Backup Todd Yoder has earned the respect of coaches in two seasons in Washington and depth could come from Tyler Ecker, team sources said. He was injured during the first weekend of training camp last season and placed on injured reserve. Ecker "completely reshaped his body" during rehabilitation, a team source said.

Continuity! :silly:

O-Line: Looks like Lorenzo will end up on offense. At least, that's what's being said now. Jansen, Thomas, Kendall, Samuels, Heyer will likely be back. I'm glad that there is word that they will be looking to get some depth via the draft. I hope Heyer will be doing some serious offseason training to get that body of his sculpted and ready for the fall.

Linebackers: Briggs, Briggs, Briggs. Bleh. Fletcher and HB Blades are the only constants at the moment, it seems.

D-backs: Springs likely to be resigned, eh? Will he reneg or make a stink with the contract again? I would definitely like to see him back. Same with Smoot (if he can stay healthy). We'll definitely need to get someone into Rogers' spot until he can come back fully. Leigh Torrence? Eubanks? Westbrook?

I look foward to seeing what develops with Dirty 30 and #37. The team will definitely need some depth behind them.

ST: Please allow Suisham one more chance to redeem himself for missing that FG in Seattle. On the other hand, Derrick Frost should be afraid.

:2cents:

Somebody smack me if you want, but I think I just found a Trade I could MAYBE MAYBE agree with if it was to get Roy Williams or Chad Johnson. (Not as sure on the Williams one)

Cincinnati Bengals

1st Rd: 9th 1350

2nd Rd: 47th (15th) 430

3rd Rd: 78th (14th) 200

4th Rd: 109th (13th) 76

5th Rd: 140th (12th) 36

6th Rd: 171th (11th) 23

Redskins Picks:

1st Rd: 21st 800

2nd Rd: 53rd (21st) 370

3rd Rd: 85th (21st) 165

5th Rd: 149th (21st) 31.8

6th Rd: 191th (21st) 19

7th Rd: 213th (21st) 6.2

Bengals Get: (Total Value of Picks 1005)

Redskins 1st Rd: 21st 800

Redskins 3rd Rd: 77th (14th) 205

Player of their Choice:

John Jansen

Ladell Betts

Redskins Get: (Total Value of picks 430)

Chad Johnson

Bengals 2nd Rd: 46th (15th) 430

Or

Detroit

1st Rd: 15th 1050

2nd Rd: 46th (14th) 440

3rd Rd: 77th (13th) 205

4th Rd: 108th (12th) 78

5th Rd: 139th (11th) 36.5

6th Rd: 170th (10th) 23.4

7th Rd: 201st (9th) 11

Lions Get: (Total value of Picks 1005 plus a player or

both)

Redskins 1st Rd: 21st 800

Redskins 3rd Rd: 77th (14th) 205

Player of their Choice:

John Jansen

Ladell Betts

Redskins Get: (total Value of Picks (518)

Roy Williams

Detroit 2nd Rd: 46th (14th) 440

Detroit 4th Rd: 108th (12th) 78

(Corrected had cincy's draft pick valued one spot too high)

Archived