Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now what with B. Lloyd?

Master Blaster

Two big problems with Lloyd shining in the WCO,

1 He's a lump of coal who gets scared going across the middle, watch him play, hes always thinking about getting hit instead of catching the ball.

2 He's TERRIBLE at running after the catch. This guy has great leaping ability, but jumps like a frog. when he lands hes practically squatting, so he takes forever to land. Then, he pretty much falls over and plays dead because he doesn't want to take a hit. Anyone know his YAC? i bet no one on the skins, including Sellers has a worse YAC...

This guy has talent, but is a scared fool who runs only 2 routes. He could have been amazing, and chose not to. ask Al Saunders, hell tell you just how good he could have been... right now, hes a better rap artist... which isn't saying much.

I know he has not been a favorite of the board these past few years, but I am cautiously optimistic about how he could potentially perform in a Jim Zorn offense. With an variation of the WC offense, size of WR's can be very important, and Lloyd is one of the few WR's on our team (besides Caldwell) with a little bit of height. Others will probably chime in with Mix here, but I'd much rather have someone who has performed in this league at a fairly high level than someone we hope can blossom.

For whatever reason, Lloyd was not liked by the former staff. I hope Zorn and whomever ends up being the OC will give him a clean slate, and hopefully he can make the best of it. I feel he has way more ability that Hackett, who performed well in Seattle in this offense.

Hopefully this year will be his to shine, and we will finally see the value of the money we invested in him.

Who f'ing cares?

Roy Williams, apparently still seething over the Lions drafting Calvin Johnson in the first round last year, wants out of Detroit. What a great addition that would be for the Skins. They can concentrate on drafting some secondary help and offensive line depth. With Carlos Rogers behind in his recovery and not likely to be fully back to speed until the 2009 season, and with the loss of Sean Taylor (RIP), we're going to get torched back there if we don't do something. The nightmare that was the offensive line this year also needs addressing.

Run BL out of town.

Its sad because he has so much talent.
People keep saying that, but I must have missed that game. Perhaps you can post a link to some Redskins highlights? He blowed chunks every time I saw him in B&G. And if you are talking about a couple circus catches years ago in SF, they went along with a 500 yd per year avg. Meh. He got 14 yards for us last year, making about a 1/4 million per yard. Where is this "so much talent"? He sucks, and that does not even take his crappy attitude into account. Sadly, we might have to keep him another year because of cap considerations. Lloyd was one of JG's worst mistakes.

Two big problems with Lloyd shining in the WCO,

1 He's a lump of coal who gets scared going across the middle, watch him play, hes always thinking about getting hit instead of catching the ball.

2 He's TERRIBLE at running after the catch. This guy has great leaping ability, but jumps like a frog. when he lands hes practically squatting, so he takes forever to land. Then, he pretty much falls over and plays dead because he doesn't want to take a hit. Anyone know his YAC? i bet no one on the skins, including Sellers has a worse YAC...

This guy has talent, but is a scared fool who runs only 2 routes. He could have been amazing, and chose not to. ask Al Saunders, hell tell you just how good he could have been... right now, hes a better rap artist... which isn't saying much.

YAC? He caught 2 balls for a grand total of 14 yds this season. You are right about him being afraid of being hit. And rightfully so, somebody threw a paper cup at him at practice and broke his collarbone.

Lloyd does have talent and while I still think we should keep him(given the his cap hit for this year if we cut him), I doubt we do. He blew his chance in '06 but the guy didn't really get much of a chance last year. In the GB game, Lloyd beat the Packers secondary deep(which Moss and ARE couldn't do) and Campbell overthrew him.

If you wanna know whether he has the talent, look at the Dallas game two years ago. Moss was out. Lloyd stepped it up and had a pretty good game. His stat line wasn't that impressive but he had a 40 yard catch that was negated by a penalty and also drew a PI(on Roy Williams IIRC) on another deep ball.

The guy can play. Yes, he ****ed up in '06. But he came to camp in '07 in great shape and was always seen joking around with players(Moss especially). And given the fact that our coaches like to play favorites(Brunell, Thrash-are you ****ing kidding me?) and alienate players they don't like(LaVar, Archuleta), I think he should be given a new chance with a new coaching staff. The upside is much greater than the downside.

Anyone know his YAC? i bet no one on the skins, including Sellers has a worse YAC...

Lloyd is averaging 3.0 YAC for his career. His total is 391 YAC on 130 catches. By way of comparison: Cooley has 1324 YAC on 231 catches (5.7 avg). Moss has 1797 YAC on 351 catches (5.1 avg). Randel El has 944 YAC on 245 catches (3.9).

Oddly, it's harder to find career YAC stats for non-receivers (i.e. RBs). But Yahoo! lists recent career, so that's something. Sellers has a 5.7 on 73 receptions, and Portis has a 7.9 on 205 receptions.

You might look and think, whoa! I didn't know Portis and Sellers would be so great at YAC, but think about it - most of their receptions are in the flat. It's an extended hand-off. It only makes sense that they'd traditionally have better YAC than the average wideout. And that plays out here. The wideouts are lower, the TE is in the middle, and the RBs are higher.

Still, Lloyd is very low - as is Randle El. :\ I'm surprised about the latter since, as our PR, you'd expect him to be more quick.

Anyway, the bottom line is that your assessment of Lloyd is backed up by this statistic breakdown. As someone who wants to see Lloyd succeed, I have to admit to some level of disappointment. Unless Lloyd really commits himself, or unless we can find a non-YAC-like role for Lloyd, I'd have to agree, reluctantly, that he's a poor fit for the WCO.

Lloyd is averaging 3.0 YAC for his career. His total is 391 YAC on 130 catches. By way of comparison: Cooley has 1324 YAC on 231 catches (5.7 avg). Moss has 1797 YAC on 351 catches (5.1 avg). Randel El has 944 YAC on 245 catches (3.9).

Oddly, it's harder to find career YAC stats for non-receivers (i.e. RBs). But Yahoo! lists recent career, so that's something. Sellers has a 5.7 on 73 receptions, and Portis has a 7.9 on 205 receptions.

You might look and think, whoa! I didn't know Portis and Sellers would be so great at YAC, but think about it - most of their receptions are in the flat. It's an extended hand-off. It only makes sense that they'd traditionally have better YAC than the average wideout. And that plays out here. The wideouts are lower, the TE is in the middle, and the RBs are higher.

Still, Lloyd is very low - as is Randle El. :\ I'm surprised about the latter since, as our PR, you'd expect him to be more quick.

Anyway, the bottom line is that your assessment of Lloyd is backed up by this statistic breakdown. As someone who wants to see Lloyd succeed, I have to admit to some level of disappointment. Unless Lloyd really commits himself, or unless we can find a non-YAC-like role for Lloyd, I'd have to agree, reluctantly, that he's a poor fit for the WCO.

Doing a little homework to back up your posts does not go unnoticed is much appreciated. ty

Archived