Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your religion is nothing more than luck and geography

WVUforREDSKINS

That's one possibility, but there are others.

Some Christians, for instance, believe that God, being omnisicient, foresaw who would freely choose Him and who would not, and being omnipotent, placed those that would in a place and time where they could do so.

That would also fit the data, as would a number of other alternatives.

Whoa--I bet that caused some awkwardness.

It was back in the day, dude. "Love Thy Neighbor", "Free Love", "We are all brothers and sisters" ;) long hair, no materialism, robes & pleasnat blouses, living off the land and traveling, communal dining and living. Good Times.

Besides, The Big Guy was very forgiving and never lectured about sex or advocated possessing other people. :)

Some Christians, for instance, believe that God, being omnisicient, foresaw who would freely choose Him and who would not, and being omnipotent, placed those that would in a place and time where they could do so.

Which would be horribly cruel if true. Why create me knowing I'm going to hell? Just do me a favor and leave me unmade in the first place.

Which would be horribly cruel if true. Why create me knowing I'm going to hell? Just do me a favor and leave me unmade in the first place.

See, now that is an interesting question, and the philosophers that take this position delve into a rather complicated discussion involving which possible worlds can exist, and whether or not God can create a world where everyone freely chooses Him, and at that point, my eyes glaze over.

My only point was that there are other scenarios that explain the data. I listed one as an example. I don't even necessarily believe it.

It was back in the day, dude. "Love Thy Neighbor", "Free Love", "We are all brothers and sisters" ;) long hair, no materialism, robes & pleasnat blouses, living off the land and traveling, communal dining and living. Good Times.

Besides, The Big Guy was very forgiving and never lectured about sex or advocated possessing other people. :)

I always knew Jesus was a hippie. It all makes sense now.

Just don't let him catch you selling pidgeons in the temple. :)

I consider myself a Christian, yet I would never believe that I'm any more right than a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, etc. It's all subjective to what YOU feel, not to some objective truth.

There is a Buddhist quote that says something to the effect of, "there are many paths to the top of the mountain, but once we get there, we all see the same moon."

There is a Buddhist quote that says something to the effect of, "there are many paths to the top of the mountain, but once we get there, we all see the same moon."
Don't think. FEEL. It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

That's one possibility, but there are others.

That would also fit the data, as would a number of other alternatives.

It's all been done so many times :) Predetermination/free will...or the ole "yeh, it's free will i guess, but if all outcomes are known, and you're the force creating everything that's going to lead to all the outcomes, then how is it truly free will (especially if there's ANY penalty for the choice)...or..

...ok, and forget the "free will" discussion, but why the big shell game in the first place if it's all known? what's up with that? why bother? just jump to go. Is God waiting to be surprised or wrong on one of his calls? why the baby-toture and the volcano? I mean, besides the "we don't know" or the "mysterious ways" answer?

I do all that above because they are common responses to common attempts to present supernatural answers in a logical format. The geography/time thingy is a non supernatural explanation of primary influencers.

In closing, I will point out that tech's offering presumes the Christian religion to be the "right" one (appropriately enough) in his view of where and when the right answer was available. The Buddhists born 800 years ago in Bhutan were put there because they were going to get it wrong.

Little child

Dry your crying eyes

How can I explain

The fear you feel inside

´cause you were born

Into this evil world

Where man is killing man

and no one knows just why

What have we become

Just look what we have done

All that we destroyed

You must build again

When the children cry

Let them know we tried

´cause when the children sings

The new world begins

Little child

You must show the way

To a better day

For all the young

´cause you were born

For the world to see

That we all can live

In light and peace

No more presidents

And all the wars will end

One united world under God

When the children cry

Let them know we tried

The new world begins

What have we become

Just look what we have done

All that we destroyed

You must build again

No more presidents

And all the wars will end

One united world under God

When the children cry

Let them know we tried

´cause when the children fight

Then we know it ain´t right

When the children break

Let them know we´re awake

The new world begins

In closing, I will point out that tech's offering presumes the Christian religion to be the "right" one (appropriately enough) in his view of where and when the right answer was available. The Buddhists born 800 years ago in Bhutan were put there because they were going to get it wrong.

That's basically the upshot of that particular view, yeah. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just a plausible alternative.

That's basically the upshot of that particular view, yeah. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just a plausible alternative.

I understood that, brother, and dared to presume it doesn't fully satisfy* you, but your humility allows you to not throw your belief out with the bath water.

(another place, another time, I would parse "plausible" with you :) )

No one chooses where they are going to be born, it is all by chance. By chance, I had Catholic parents. By chance therefore, I was Catholic. I could have very well been born in the Middle East and therefore I would be a Muslim. Same as China, I would have been told there is no god. India, I could have been sikh, Hindu, or Muslim. New York, I could have been a Jew (ok kinda a joke) but you get the idea.

You're beliefs are just that, chance, and what you have convinced yourself is true and right. It doesn't make them right. It is sheer luck and the power of the human mind.

That argument only holds water for people who were brought up in their faiths. But what about converts? People convert for all kinds of reasons, but the fact that they convert at all shoots some pretty large holes in your birth-chance theory.

That argument only holds water for people who were brought up in their faiths. But what about converts? People convert for all kinds of reasons, but the fact that they convert at all shoots some pretty large holes in your birth-chance theory.

You can only convert to a religion if you know about it. People born in certain parts of the world will never learn about religions of other parts of the world.

Archived