Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your religion is nothing more than luck and geography

WVUforREDSKINS

No one chooses where they are going to be born, it is all by chance. By chance, I had Catholic parents. By chance therefore, I was Catholic. I could have very well been born in the Middle East and therefore I would be a Muslim. Same as China, I would have been told there is no god. India, I could have been sikh, Hindu, or Muslim. New York, I could have been a Jew (ok kinda a joke) but you get the idea.

You're beliefs are just that, chance, and what you have convinced yourself is true and right. It doesn't make them right. It is sheer luck and the power of the human mind.

And for all of you who believe that accepting Jesus is the only way into heaven, what about everyone who lived before he walked the earth?

No one chooses where they are going to be born, it is all by chance. By chance, I had Catholic parents. By chance therefore, I was Catholic. I could have very well been born in the Middle East and therefore I would be a Muslim. Same as China, I would have been told there is no god. India, I could have been sikh, Hindu, or Muslim. New York, I could have been a Jew (ok kinda a joke) but you get the idea.

You're beliefs are just that, chance, and what you have convinced yourself is true and right. It doesn't make them right. It is sheer luck and the power of the human mind.

And for all of you who believe that accepting Jesus is the only way into heaven, what about everyone who lived before he walked the earth?

Blasphemy!

There was nothing before Jesus!

I was born to Catholics, partially raised by Jews, but am now Quaker who has read more about Buddism than anything.

My beliefs were taught to me when I was a boy. When I lost my family structure, I got mean and nasty. I tried the bible, didn't work. I went back into myself, found what I thought were solid values and retaught myself.No chance, no luck.

There was still a heaven, somehow, the world was a worse place than it is today, so it needed saving.

Is that not what religions are founded on? Bible, Quran, Torah, Vedas, etc.?

There is no mention of God(creator) in Buddhism. Every other religion begins with a creator god creating the universe (ex nihilo), Buddhism starts out with mankind and the four noble truths.

I've always wondered how the zealots could be so SURE that they had found the only path to Heaven.

If he's such an all-encompassing, almighty God, why does 65% of the rest of the world believe something else? Are they all wrong? Who are you to judge THEM? You're the minority!

I consider myself a Christian, yet I would never believe that I'm any more right than a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, etc. It's all subjective to what YOU feel, not to some objective truth.

Either way, I doubt you're settling this in a redskins forum. lol

If there is one thing I can't stand more then religious zealots are anti-religious zealots

I don't think that's being an anti-religous zealot.

It is a fact that depending on who your parents are and where you were born will largely decide what religion you are.

It's not a coincidence that there are a lot of Buddhists in India, Muslims in the Middle East, Christians in the United States.

Either way, I doubt you're settling this in a redskins forum. lol

Not trying to settle anything. Nothing ever gets settled. Just trying to spark a debate and maybe some brains. Surprisingly, some people have never thought about this.

And im not an anti religious zealot. Although, I am agnostic, leaning more towards being atheist.

Perhaps, if your faith is a conformity or environmental faith. Its why so many children raised in religious households fall away, because their faith originated from without, not within. They sort of ooze into religion and when tough times or questions come because said religion, they wither like a plant with no roots.

I actually became a Christian just 6 years ago when I was 27. My father and grandfather were agnostic.
Those who humbly recognized their spiritual bankruptsy (blessed are the poor in spirit) before a holy Creator, and who put their faith in the fact that He would send a savior to deliver them are in heaven.

But what do I know? I'm just a cracker redneck. :2cents:

Perhaps, if your faith is a conformity or environmental faith. Its why so many children raised in religious households fall away, because their faith originated from without, not within. They sort of ooze into religion and when tough times or questions come because said religion, they wither like a plant with no roots.

I actually became a Christian just 6 years ago when I was 27. My father and grandfather were agnostic.

Those who humbly recognized their spiritual bankruptsy (blessed are the poor in spirit) before a holy Creator, and who put their faith in the fact that He would send a savior to deliver them are in heaven.

But what do I know? I'm just a cracker redneck. :2cents:

Interesting, Zguy. And no one ever called you that.

There :laugh:

Caught me off-guard to see this phrase. It’s very similar to one I first used in my late teens when discussing religion. Now that my memory is jogged, mine was “most people’s religious beliefs are mainly a product of their historical time and geography."

There :laugh:

Caught me off-guard to see this phrase. It’s very similar to one I first used in my late teens when discussing religion. Now that my memory is jogged, mine was “most people’s religious beliefs are mainly a product of their historical time and geography."

Did you ever get a chance to talk with Jesus himself in your late teens? If my math is right, you would've been in your late teens when he walked the Earth.

I learned soon that it's been a familiar concept for millenia, but at the time I came up with it (13-14), I thought it was pretty insightful :laugh:

Of ocurse, "environment" is a more concise, inclusive, and accurate way to frame the idea. But to me the meat of it was the idea that the "deeply held" or "casually held" nature of many (not all) people's religious beliefs are not due to exposure to a universal truth so profound and right that it indeed, is universal to all, but instead is simply one way one group constructed a belief system to help explain their human experience and in such cases was dependent of their environment.

Even later conversions and changes of belief systems fall into this concept with the modifer that the individual perceived various life experiences that created an unease with their existing system and turned to an alternative whose nature was, again, dependent on the enviroment they were in at that time. As access to information changed with technology, "environment" goes beyond some long-standard geographical and social barriers as an influencer.

I mean none of that meant to dismiss the genuine dedication or actual possible validity of someone's religious beliefs. It's just interesting stuff to consider.

Archived