Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your religion is nothing more than luck and geography

WVUforREDSKINS

This is kind of a tangent, but considering Jesus' disciples were fishermen (the curvature of the earth is clearly evident in large bodies of water), and the circumference of the earth was measured fairly accurately a couple hundred years before Jesus' time, I doubt they believed the world was flat. It was pretty widely accepted the world was round by then.

You must be refering to Isaiah 40:21-22....Personally i don't see where people get the "earth was flat" criticism in the Bible.

Some of you who actually appreciate religion should see the 6 part documentary on PBS called 'God In America'. It details how religion evolved and influenced life in the New World prior to the Declaration of Independence up to modern time. It was quite interesting.

Also, my boss and I enjoy dissecting topics at our leisure time. He enjoys the stock market and money and watching the players of the world influence the economies. Well, about a year ago he decided he wanted to know what the Old & New Testament had to say about money and property. What we've read is quite interesting and some of the traditions of land ownership detailed in the Old Testament have been completely abandoned. Some of them were really good ideas too such as alotments.

We look up and study ANY part of the New Testament that directly deals with money. One thing my boss has pointed out to me is that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus ever said to have physically touched money. We've looked thoroughly to find something and we've avoided all the apocryphal books written hundreds of years after the fact. But I found that quite interesting, especially since there are numerous occassion where Jesus could have and should have touched money but did not. I don't think this is a mistake. There's something intentional about it.

We should dig up that Theology Thread b/c I've got a ton of questions I've been meaning to ask some you more educated students of christianity.

Some of you who actually appreciate religion should see the 6 part documentary on PBS called 'God In America'. It details how religion evolved and influenced life in the New World prior to the Declaration of Independence up to modern time. It was quite interesting.

Also, my boss and I enjoy dissecting topics at our leisure time. He enjoys the stock market and money and watching the players of the world influence the economies. Well, about a year ago he decided he wanted to know what the Old & New Testament had to say about money and property. What we've read is quite interesting and some of the traditions of land ownership detailed in the Old Testament have been completely abandoned. Some of them were really good ideas too such as alotments.

We look up and study ANY part of the New Testament that directly deals with money. One thing my boss has pointed out to me is that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus ever said to have physically touched money. We've looked thoroughly to find something and we've avoided all the apocryphal books written hundreds of years after the fact. But I found that quite interesting, especially since there are numerous occassion where Jesus could have and should have touched money but did not. I don't think this is a mistake. There's something intentional about it.

Well, just because it wasn't written that Jesus physically touched money, doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't touch money. Point being is that it doesn't address it one way or another....Besides that, i'm curious what conclusions you made after your studies about money in relation to the Bible?

Well, just because it wasn't written that Jesus physically touched money, doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't touch money. Point being is that it doesn't address it one way or another....Besides that, i'm curious what conclusions you made after your studies about money in relation to the Bible?

You don't need no religious book to tell you that money is root of all evil people do - corruption, land, power, control, etc. ;)

We should dig up that Theology Thread b/c I've got a ton of questions I've been meaning to ask some you more educated students of christianity.

It's interesting that you mention Jesus never touching money, I never thought about it. However, it does shed more light on why the Pastoral staff at my church will not handle any money that is collected for offerings or fellowship dinners etc.

You don't need no religious book to tell you that money is root of all evil people do - corruption, land, power, control, etc. ;)

Well, the bible actually teaches that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Two totally different concepts. Therefore, money of itself isn't wicked or evil, rather the heart of the person that possesses it could be. On the other hand a person could use thier riches to help others like donating to (family, organizations, the poor, needy and disinfranchised) Money and wealth is only a means or instrument to carry out the desires of the individual, whether good or bad. Doesn't that seem reasonable?

It's interesting that you mention Jesus never touching money, I never thought about it. However, it does shed more light on why the Pastoral staff at my church will not handle any money that is collected for offerings or fellowship dinners etc.

But, the bible never says or even implies, directly or indirectly that "Jesus never touched money". So we don't know whether he did or not.

But, the bible never says or even implies, directly or indirectly that "Jesus never touched money". So we don't know whether he did or not.
Correct. But it does remove any thought about him being a charlatan who was just after money like some false prophets on TV. Well, that and His teaching on the impossibility of serving two masters.

Correct. But it does remove any thought about him being a charlatan who was just after money like some false prophets on TV. Well, that and His teaching on the impossibility of serving two masters.

Now this i agree with 100%... The teachings of Christ and His Apostles clearly taught about the dangers of greed towards things of the world. The TV ministers exploit the ignorance of the sheep, and this is why they can teach these lies so freely.

All of the major religions have shaped countries and teach moral codes needed for a civilization to exist.

I disagree there is a God, but never argue with the need of such togetherness they provide to those in need.

Being born in Md in the United states was a lottery ticket in freedom of choice and ice for your drink whenever you wish.

I'm sure there are monks in Tibet that believe the same of them in peace/harmony.

The short straw North Koreans 10,000 Protestants, 10,000 Buddhists, and 4,000 Catholics. = more gulags ...

I really don't get the point of this thread. Isn't this pretty obvious? I'm pretty sure most acknowledge that where you grow up and what your parents believe are the primary source of a person's religion.

But if the person accepts the religion they were born near, what's the problem?

ya, i agree that its common for people to accept the religion that they grow up with as a result of their family or town/countries belief. nothing new there.

for me, its always kind of bothered me when people just accept religious beliefs just cuz its what their parent parents parents- etc- believed.i've always felt like you should figure it out for yourself.

i remember talking to a lady that i used to do work for about youth group and christian faith (she brought it up actually) and was talking to me about some TV pastors she liked (the less dangerous ones, on the scale of televangelists, as i recall). she had told me she grew up catholic but like to watch these tv pastors. she told me she had to go to some kind of classes when she married her husband who was raised jewish. that reminded me of when tom arnold married rosanne barr and i told her how crazy i thought it was to 'change' your religious beliefs just for the sake of marrying someone. unless of course you truly now believe those things.

anyway, after i told her how crazy i thought that was, she basically told me that she was now jewish.

oops.

she never called me back after that.

interesting how much income some of these religions bring in each year... :evilg:

My Church brings in around $800,000 a year. You know how much is used for mission work in the community? 60% of it. You know how much goes to Pastoral care? Around $90,000 split among 2 pastors. The rest goes to building maintenence.

We get a small budget statement each week along with quarterly detailed statement along with a yearly, extremely detailed budget review that each and every memeber of the congregation, even non-members, are free to access.

Ever since the world began,

Satan's followed every man.

Trap in evil if he can,

I tell you now his greatest plan.

Invented when I cannot tell,

Defined the thoughts of man so well.

Man wants money for his needs,

But soon it sows its evil seeds.

Unhappiness it only brings,

As man wants more and better things.

If not enough the evil lies,

But soon you'll find somebody dies.

Throughout the years there have been wars,

Power and richness have been the cause.

Trapped in money's evil net,

Man wants more than he can get.

You don't need money.

No, no, no, no,

You don't need money.

No, no, no, no,

You don't need money.

... etc.

It'll never bring you love,

No more than the sun above.

You'll never see the end,

The money you will surely spend.

But ask for help if you sin,

Reclaim yourself, what a state you're in.

The devil has you in his grasp,

There ain't no mercy you can ask.

More and more you will need,

You're strangled in the clutch of greed.

You can't get out, no place to go,

You sold your soul - the answers no

- The Yardbirds

My Church brings in around $800,000 a year. You know how much is used for mission work in the community? 60% of it. You know how much goes to Pastoral care? Around $90,000 split among 2 pastors. The rest goes to building maintenence.

We get a small budget statement each week along with quarterly detailed statement along with a yearly, extremely detailed budget review that each and every memeber of the congregation, even non-members, are free to access.

c409d9657498f6dca164c6379496e584

I assume those are estimates based on your recollection, otherwise I'm left wondering why it costs $230,000 a year for building maintenance.

I assume those are estimates based on your recollection, otherwise I'm left wondering why it costs $230,000 a year for building maintenance.

Hey, maintaining all those jacuzzis and making sure the spa is fully functional and the masseuses are top drawer costs money... and we haven't discussed the cost of maintaining and inquisitional dungeon! 230K is cheap, by golly.

No one chooses where they are going to be born, it is all by chance. By chance, I had Catholic parents. By chance therefore, I was Catholic. I could have very well been born in the Middle East and therefore I would be a Muslim. Same as China, I would have been told there is no god. India, I could have been sikh, Hindu, or Muslim. New York, I could have been a Jew (ok kinda a joke) but you get the idea.

So you feel guilty that you were Blessed to be born in the USA (even though its West Va) instead of some 3rd world rat hole and raised in a nice Religious structure?

Archived