Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC7: Mooch Sitting w/ Skins-NOT TRUE: YET (merged)

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0108/492133.html

EDIT: This report has since been debunked. Schefter now says that he only told ABC 7 that an interview could happen today. He has revised his statement to be that an interview will happen this week.

Redskins Interviewing Steve Mariucci

posted 3:00 pm Wed January 30, 2008 - Phoenix

ABC 7 Sports has learned that Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerrato are in Phoenix interviewing Steve Mariucci as a possible replacement for Joe Gibbs.

Mariucci is currently an analyst for the NFL Network.

He was fired as head coach of the Detroit Lions in 2005 during his third season at the helm. Mariucci spent six seasons as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers from 1997 to 2002.

ABC 7 Sports spoke with Adam Schefter of the NFL Network who confirmed that Snyder and Cerrato were speaking with Mariucci on Wednesday. Mariucci was asked by ABC 7 Sports about the Redskins vacancy during Super Bowl Media Day on Tuesday, but he would not respond.

The Redskins are planning to speak with former N.Y. Giants head coach Jim Fassel while in Arizona. The team would like to interview current Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who cannot talk until after the Super Bowl.

Snyder spoke again with Indianapolis Colts assistant Ron Meeks on Tuesday. The defensive coordinator met with Snyder in Indianapolis and the two previously discussed the job at Snyder's home on January 17th and 18th.

EDIT: Sorry. Been forgetting the links lately. :(

He has passion. Even though he failed in both jobs this team is better than any others he took over for.

It's hard to see how anybody could succeed in Detroit with that idiot Millen picking the players. I don't think you can really hold the Detroit thing against Mooch.

Spags is 48, although he looks much younger.

Mooch had a pile of crap to work with in Detroit. That organization is horrible, it would not matter who coaches that team; Bill Walsh, Gibbs (80's), Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi...that team would still suck.

I welcome Mooch to DC if he is interested.

I don't get it. I really don't. Why does everyone want a coach with a 75-71 career record? Is mediocrity okay with you guys? Including playoffs he has had a 150 games in this league to prove he can't do it. In SF he lost several home playoff games. We don't resemble the 9ers of the 90's here in DC. Face it we resemble the Lions of 03-05 more than anything. This would be a stupid move. I swear the rational and clarity of this fan base is piss poor these days.

If Dan Snyder hires this guy over Ron Meeks he is even more of an ******* that I thought.

I don't get it. I really don't. Why does everyone want a coach with a 75-71 career record? Is mediocrity okay with you guys? Including playoffs he has had a 150 games in this league to prove he can't do it. In SF he lost several home playoff games. We don't resemble the 9ers of the 90's here in DC. Face it we resemble the Lions of 03-05 more than anything. This would be a stupid move. I swear the rational and clarity of this fan base is piss poor these days.

If Dan Snyder hires this guy over Ron Meeks he is even more of an ******* that I thought.

So a career record of 0-0 is better?

Plus you're wrong, he never lost a home playoff game. Every playoff loss was on the road.

Archived