Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green's Blog Update Redskins Coaching Search 1.30.08

voicekiller

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/darrellgreen/2008/01/redskins_coaching_search.html

Redskins Coaching Search

Wednesday Morning ...

I'm heading in to my Sterling, Va., office. This morning when I woke up the only thing on my mind was the big announcement. I must confess, for some reason over the last few days I've started to experience a little bit of anxiety about the big question, "To be or not to be a 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame selectee?" To take my mind off the big announcement -- if you don't mind -- I'm going to write about the Redskins.

First, congratulations are in order to Dan and Tonya Snyder for making the Redskins the richest franchise on the planet. No matter how you look at it they are winners, period.

I've enjoyed watching them pull together their new coaching staff. It reminds me of how Lee Marvin picked his team in the 1967 movie, The Dirty Dozen. In the movie, each man was picked individually and with a specific skill for a specific task to meet the team's goal. Now, if I am right and this is what they are doing, then I applaud it because this way there is no place to hide for anyone. Every coach, just like every player, is in an independent contractor with full accountability to the owner and the owner alone. I think this is a great formula for success as it makes everyone pull their own weight with no relational hiding places as when a head coach hires everyone.

What about this talk about them needing to hire a GM to win big? Hogwash! I don't agree. Everybody knows that football is a game of yards and inches. These guys are very close and, trust me, it won't be a GM that puts them over the top. No! It's going to be the play on the field, not a decision in an office that will put them over the top.

"They can win big without a GM!"

Let me hear your thoughts, good or bad. I just want to hear from you.

He has a really good view of everything that is going on in the coaching search...i agree 100% with Green...never thought of it like that

I like his alternative view. It's interesting, and it would be nice to know if this is true or not. I'm not the "Hate Snyder as much as possible" type, but I hope that when it's all said and done Vinny or Snyder actually say that this was their intention all along. They should, at the very least, say something explaining their decision. Not that they have to... but it'll help.

Let me guess... most of us here are going to say he's a secret Snyder Agent, here to calm us down. Right?

Folks on this board are not too much into making since or thinkin DS (youngest and richest NFL owner) might know what he's doing...on that note your thread may slip to the bottom...maybe even to the next page...its not "Gossipy" enough....lol....makes me wonder where the MEN are on the board

Anyway...I agree with you and DG. Im very excited to see what we look like with someone less cautious calling the game on bothsides.

HTTR!!

Its gotta be just a matter of moments before the first ES Anti-Snyder poster comes on and bashes DG for saying we dont need a GM and that Snyder may just know what he's doing after all.

I mean after all, what the hell does D Green know about winning Championships?

Green only has three rings, what does he know right?

He has spoken!

I think the real problem we are all having with DS is his secrecy with the whole process. He could easily come out with a statement such as this and make us fans feel a BIT more comfortable with him and what he is trying to do. But instead we are being alienated! That's the reason for the dislike in DS and his ownership skills.

Thanks D Green! This is just what we needed.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/darrellgreen/2008/01/redskins_coaching_search.html

He has a really good view of everything that is going on in the coaching search...i agree 100% with Green...never thought of it like that

it only works if the owner/gm know what they are doing. so his GM theory is out the window. you can hire the best carpenter, architect, landscaper, etc., in the world...all accountable to only the homeowner...but if they don't work to a common plan...your home will not be well built. this is especially true for a football team in this age where it is very obvious that scheme and statistics have over-taken a lot of the "on-the-field" aspect of things....DG is taking a player's pov on things not management......there can only be one General, one vision, one strategy....his model defaults that to the owner. draw your own conclusions.

in the end...the owner has to ask all the same questions...that is...if he cares about doing it right.....only it takes twice as long and is more prone to error.

I don't get why people are applauding Green for what he wrote. He's saying all the asst coaches will be like independent contractors reporting to Snyder?

Yeah, independent contractors are accountable for themselves. They also only show loyality to themselves. I don't get how you'd think a team would be productive if it's made up of a group of individuals who have no loyality to each other.

And Darrell, yeah the game's won on the field but someone has to put the right guys on the field. The GM is the one who drafted you, not some independent DB coach.

I don't get why people are applauding Green for what he wrote. He's saying all the asst coaches will be like independent contractors reporting to Snyder?

Yeah, independent contractors are accountable for themselves. They also only show loyality to themselves. I don't get how you'd think a team would be productive if it's made up of a group of individuals who have no loyality to each other.

And Darrell, yeah the game's won on the field but someone has to put the right guys on the field. The GM is the one who drafted you, not some independent DB coach.

ding. ding. ding.

Wow, Darrell Green is a bigger homer than even anyone on Extremeskins...

but I love him for it. :point2sky

Perhaps, but didn't Green say when Gibbs returned that he wouldn't be able to turn this franchise around?

In any case, it's refreshing to hear his opinion. He's still my favorite Skin of all time.

:logo:

Archived