Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hackers Post YouTube Video Declaring War on Scientology

DixieFlatline

First battle to hackers ...

The first public salvo was launched over the past couple of days as a group of hackers claiming affiliation with Anonymous took down the home page of the church with repeated distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks. A DDOS attack floods a target server with requests until it becomes overwhelmed with data and shuts down. The attacks flooded Scientology's web servers with as much as 220 megabits per-second, which security experts claim is a mid-sized attack. While it is not the largest such attack ever seen it does show some level of organization, "It's not just one or two guys hanging out in the university dorms doing this," said Jose Nazario, a senior security engineer with Arbor Networks. The church has since moved its site to servers run by Prolexic Technologies, a company that specialized in protection from DDOS attacks.

http://www.switched.com/2008/01/29/anonymous-hackers-take-out-scientology-web-site/

The attacks flooded Scientology's web servers with as much as 220 megabits per-second, which security experts claim is a mid-sized attack.

I guess that's better than flooding them with angry thetans. :whoknows:

Maybe a packet of data is the same as a thetan? :whoknows: :whoknows:

I wonder if that's real or not. Hackers have many different levels within their subculture. I read an article once about how music and movies that hit the internet early seem to be from many random sources but law enforcement found this not to be the case. A small number of hacker groups actually use early release as a form of competition within their own circles and just a few of them are responsible for nearly all the media that hits the internet illegally at first (it is later passed from source to source by others).

If the high level players are down with this DDOS attacks are the least of thier worries.

I wonder if that's real or not. Hackers have many different levels within their subculture. I read an article once about how music and movies that hit the internet early seem to be from many random sources but law enforcement found this not to be the case. A small number of hacker groups actually use early release as a form of competition within their own circles and just a few of them are responsible for nearly all the media that hits the internet illegally at first (it is later passed from source to source by others).

If the high level players are down with this DDOS attacks are the least of thier worries.

Anonymous is real. It is not just 'elite' hackers but includes lawyers, law enforcement, writers etc. The Church of Scientology are going to have a rough ride.

Archived