brettstr

Does Coach Gibbs...  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Does Coach Gibbs...

• Come back as Head Coach only for 1yr
    • Come back as Head Coach only with new contract
    • Come back in some capacity other than advisor
    • Stay Retired

Has anyone here ever considered that perhaps Dan Syner and company looked back on Joe Gibbs last retirement and how defensive coordinator (Richie) was elevated to HC. That experience with a long standing staff, performed miserably under his (RP)guidance. Richie was fired the next season. Perhaps he (Dan) is not convinced GW can get them to the next level even with this defense. The skins were not ranked number 1 in defense. Numbr 2-10 does not count in the game of winning.The defense did not shut down offenses in the post season. The skins defense was rattled by New England to the tune of 52 points. They did not Dominate. Not even close. If this had been the case (domination)maybe GW would be the unanimous choice. Perhaps if the skins played for the NFC championship or gone further, GW would be the unanimous choice if Joe still wanted to retire. If I were Dan that would be enough for me to rethink about what the continuity is in the organization and how to improve the team even if it means blowing up the team and starting over with new and fresh mind sets. A lot of folks thought JG was over his head with new defensive attacks to his offense but he actaully had his guys in there that should have been up to date. Again the defense was Not ranked #1. It seems to me he (JG) lost confidance in his support staff but he took all the heat.

Think about it

Brettstr- A fan of 37 years

Brett, while see what you're saying, keep in mind that, when Gibbs retired the first time, he did in March, long after available assistants had gone to other jobs and other teams already had begun preparations for the upcoming season and decide what kind of teams they would be. Actually, Gibbs kind of left us in the lurch the first time, forcing a quick change in head coaches and almost putting our off-season in chaos because of the unexpected change.

I think, now, it's a case of Snyder letting his ego getting the best of him and not doing a proper selection process based on what's best for the team.

I thought about this and have to say that if Williams failed like Richie did then he would have been removed after one year and we'd have the chin waiting for us to take over in 09. If Snyder really does have an understanding with Cower to come in in 2009 that would have been the most perfect situation for Snyder to be in but Snyder just pissed all over this situation and created nothing but a huge mess with it so no pass with this.

Richie Pettibon also tried to use a West Coast offense that didn't fit the personnel. I think if he had hired an offensive coordinator that fit more with the personnel he may have had more success. Don't forget we have Saunders, so there would be continuity unless they plan to get rid of him.

MC

Ok, I thought about it.

and even if that were true. That still doesn't mean you mishandle a situation that bad.

Exactly. Snyder needed to be decisive and he needed to communicate with the press and fans. He has never learned the art and importance of communicating to the public. He should have hired Joe just to be his spokesman, until the drama played out and the final decisions announced. As it is, there is an information vacuum and because of his past mistakes, Snyder made vacuums tend to fill with :pooh:

Cinder. Burnt to a crisp. You meant Snyder. He doesn't deserve a break after hiring and firing Marty after one year, Spurrier over two years, and not being prepared for Gibbs retiring after four. He is completely crazy. I have a friend who used to work for him back in the early 90's before he had money and he said Dan and his wife are completely, totally nuts.

Dan is free to handle his situation as he deems fit. We can all speculate what he is actually going to do.

As I posted in other threads. I have watched and read many criticise Dan over the past several years and I either defended him or believed in him. It has come to the point where he deserves to be criticized and questioned.

This situation, and IMO how it has been handled by Cerrato and himself, is the final straw. Right now there is NO defense for him. I wish I could say otherwise but I just cannot at this point. So while I appreciate your point of view I unfortunately cannot "give hime a break."

Let the man do his job. He is searching for the best possible coach he can find. Give him time, and let's see who he comes up with.

:applause:

While impatient myself, I don't get the rush.

To do the best thing for this franchise, everyone needs to be looked at and reviewed. It would be stupid of Snyder to make a decision without knowing all of his options.

I do beleive this offense needs time. I thought 3 years would be enough time. Al would be in his third year. I agree, give the offense a chance. However no of us are in the locker room or board rooms helping to make decisions. Maybe there is more to this than we know. Perhaps the family business(Redskins players, staff and ownership) is being kept in house. No airing dirty laundry. I beleive JG believed in this, keeping things in house. Not to discredit anyone to ruin futures.

That is the word on the street, and I don't blame him. He knows Snyder isn't a football man. That factor alone will be the death of this franchise.

All I know is this was probably the deepest talent level I have seen from a Skns team in a long time..Gibbs gave praise to Vinnie for it I believe.

The fact that JG is still in the process also tells me he stands behind Snyder and not GW.

GW needs to accept the job as is..

GW does not deserve full control one bit.

:applause:

While impatient myself, I don't get the rush.

To do the best thing for this franchise, everyone needs to be looked at and reviewed. It would be stupid of Snyder to make a decision without knowing all of his options.

This is true. I guess we have to wait until after the Super Bowl.

Grilliams coached the defense in three playoff games.

At Tampa, 2005, where we completely annihilated the Bucs offense. Sean scored a touchdown, Lavar set up the other one by returning a pick inside the five, and we won a close game despite Mark throwing for something ridiculous like 50 yards. I believe that set a record for playoff passing futility.

At Seattle, 2005. Carlos dropped a pick six early. We sent Shaun Alexander in for the night early on. We played a damn good game on D, but again our offense was stifled and we lost 20-10.

At Seattle, 2007. We were shut out in the first half, but the defense kept us close. Laron came up with two huge picks for us. The only letdown was Hasselbeck led a masterful touchdown drive after we took a 14-13 lead. After that, our offense gave them 14 more points on interceptions. The D gave up only 21 points on the road against an excellent offense.

You wrote "the defense did not shut down offenses in the post season."

Not only is that incorrect, but during the course of four years, Grilliams' defense bailed out a bad offense over and over again.

If thinking still is that we should blow the whole thing up and start over, then that's another issue.

But if you're going to do that, have a freaking plan...not "

Ooh let's hire Jim Fassel, oh wait, no we only want him if we can get Jim Zorn...wait, we can't close the deal with Jim Zorn? Ok can we still get Ryan for the defense? Oh yeah, he's still under contract, we might be able to hire him for head coach, but no Fassel is our guy. Unless we can't get Zorn and Ryan, then he's not our guy. Dang, this is hard, let's just wait a while, maybe we can get that teenager who calls plays in New England...he can bring Brady and Moss with him, right? No? Ok, how about the Giants' defensive coordinator...of course if the G-men give up 50 points in the super bowl that wouldn't look to good...better hold off on that. Vinny, do we have Urban Meyer's number?"

Another thing to realize with the first Gibbs retirement, free agency went into full swing that year and Charley Casserly put together probably the WORST free agency class ever.

Leonard Marshall, Carl Banks, Tim McGee, Al Noga, Rick Graf and others who I probably can't remember right now. He drafted Tim Carter as well. All of them were complete failures.

Those guys were brought in to replace big time contributors like Gary Clark, Martin Mayhew, Fred Stokes, and Wilber Marshall.

This situation could have been much smoother as the Skins do not have to purge and replace the roster if they didn't want to. Williams could of inherited the same team that went to the playoffs last year with some possible additions as well.

I was a pretty strong critic of GW early on. And I thought he got a free pass. But I truly believe that the GW after Sean's death changed for good. You could see more smiles on the sideline with the players. He obviously was more willing to listen to their input. I think he finally got what Gibbs was all about. That people are what make your system work. Not x's and o's.

Unfortunately, we have two rank amateurs who have never played the game in charge. They have no idea what makes a football team work. They're still hung up on systems and stars. It takes a TEAM to win a super bowl. With everyone on the same page. I thought Snyder had figured that out. But this hiring debacle has shattered that idea.

Brett, while see what you're saying, keep in mind that, when Gibbs retired the first time, he did in March, long after available assistants had gone to other jobs and other teams already had begun preparations for the upcoming season and decide what kind of teams they would be. Actually, Gibbs kind of left us in the lurch the first time, forcing a quick change in head coaches and almost putting our off-season in chaos because of the unexpected change.

I think, now, it's a case of Snyder letting his ego getting the best of him and not doing a proper selection process based on what's best for the team.

yeah, nice response.

Archived